Straight cuts with plasma cutter.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Having a lot of fun learning the new plasma cutter. Wish I had a steady hand.

My manual says any guide must be "non-conducting". Well, duh, that makes sense.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a straight edge or other types of guides. What materials should they be made out of?

I've done OK using a 1x4 but suspect there is a better idea out there.

Thanks.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #2  
It only needs to be non-conductive if you're riding the tip on it. If the head of the cutting torch is hard plastic, as I suspect most are, you can use a piece of angle iron or similar as a guide.
You still have to hold it straight as the tip won't be riding directly on the guide, but it will be a lot more accurate than freehand.
If you can find a supply of plastic yardsticks, those would work good, they will let the tip contact for maximum accuracy and will bend around curved objects.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #3  
I just clamp a piece of angle or even some 1/4" flat bar on and drag against it. Doesn't have to be non conductive as long as you don't aim the fire at it.

I have one of those free magnetic rails from HF I keep meaning to try.

My first long cut was taking one leg off a 5' piece of 4x4x1/4 angle. I wanted to leave a lip on one side so I just laid the insulator down flat and pulled it along. I welded the piece with the lip onto the top of my loader bucket.

IMG_0968.JPG

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #4  
I use a drag tip against a steel or aluminum straight edge (not my good ones) with no issues. My struggle is more in getting a constant speed due to the tip 'catching' the substrate making for a bit of a jerky thus not as smooth cut. For curved cuts I use plywood templates. I have no experience with a 'training wheels' holder since I don't have to space off the tip from the surface, but I imagine one could get smoother cuts if they used one.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #5  
There is a standoff with 2 legs that are good for riding the straight edge. Also on lighter stuff you can tip the torch slightly in the opposite direction you are cutting. Makes it easier to drag but your cuts will never be perfect.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #6  
What is a kinda neat plasma cutter accessory is a 8$ drywall square. Cheap, has measurements and easy to make custom circles w/o clamps that slip or awkward fitting tool holders. Just broach a hole that fits your drag tip, pin the center and around you go.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter.
All good info. Thanks. My torch is a Thermal Dynamics and drag cuts so that is one item out of the way.

I had a thought. For smaller pieces, what about using a paint stick as a straight edge? Cheap, plentiful and non-conductive.

I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks, to all.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #8  
I use a piece of aluminum 1x3x0.25 angle as a straight edge and get nice clean lines by clamping the flat side to the piece. I use a fine cut nozzle on my hypertherm and drag it along the aluminum edge and use the aluminum as a support for my hand. Gives me a nice clean edge with minimal grinding. Smooth and steady wins the race.

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #9  
I've never considered wood. I'm pretty sure it would catch fire if I tried it. My last welding project found a bunch of old towels on my cleaning cart. DOH!

/ Straight cuts with plasma cutter. #10  
Check out this radial arm saw conversion by Rednic 79. I think it's a great idea and plan to make one similar.
YouTube