Strange things your pets do...

/ Strange things your pets do... #31  
We took on a stray cat that was in bad shape. Kills all the mice and more than happy in a cat bed water and food in the garage. My wife has tried for over a year to pet it only to have the garage cat scratch or bite her soon as she’s done petting it :laughing:

/ Strange things your pets do... #32  
I look after my daughters cats when she travels. I need to keep the doors locked because this one lets himself out.

Adjustments.jpg

/ Strange things your pets do... #33  
My 10 year old rescue dog has this strangest habit. She will only eat the food from the front half of her bowl. I have to rotate the bowl before she will eat it all.
Years ago, my roommates cat used go absolutely bonkers if he saw the bottom of his food bowl.

Bloody cat would eat from the dead center of the bowl. So the bowl would be around 2/3 full when he would see a sliver of white at the bottom.

You would have thought it was the end of the world. He would wonder the house yowling and carrying on. If you walk by and give the bowl a shake so he couldn't see the bottom, he was a happy kitty........ till he saw a sliver of white at the bottom of his bowl

My German shepherd has issues with her water bowl. She won't drink day old water. Has to be fresh. So every night I have to empty out her 1/2 full water bowls from the kitchen and sun porch and fill it up with fresh water.

/ Strange things your pets do... #34  
Not really strange but intelligent. My young Coker Spaniel had his first run in with a small band of turkeys last fall. Every time we walk down the driveway he shies away from that "contact spot". I didn't get to see this run in but it was obviously memorable. He "yelped" a couple times and came running back - sat down right at my feet. He wasn't hurt but they must have spooked him.
My shepherd does that with snakes. Last summer she must have encountered one sunning itself on the deck. She was skittish and did a full assessment of the deck before leaving the sun porch. Even through her doggy door. She would nose it open and scope it out.

A few weeks later, she herded me to the opposite side of the road while out for our bedtime walk after dark. I looked back and realized there was a copper head laying on the opposite side of the road.

I pay close attention to her while walking now.

/ Strange things your pets do... #35  
Both my last dog and Ruger are of the "Sit and Stare" school of dogs. Whatever happened to just speaking when they want to go out? Especially at 3:00 in the morning... it doesn't happen often but occasionally I will wake up and "sense" that my dog is standing in the pitch black dark, staring at me. Then I need to surmise; "does he want to go out, is his water bowl empty, or did he just have a bad dream that I had forgotten to feed him?"
Usually gypsy will go to the door and wait. If she doesn't get a response in an exceptable amount of time, she goes to yips and chuffs.

If it's the middle of the night, she will get up on the bed, nudge me in the face with her nose and chuff or yip. Once I'm awake, if she hits the floor and starts heading for the back door then it's a potty emergency.

If she then curls up at the foot of the bed, then my snoring was disturbing her and she was telling me to shut the h3ll up

/ Strange things your pets do... #36  
About a year after we got married we got a Cairn terrier. The next year we got a kitten. I raised the kitten like a dog. Walked him on a leash, too. He'd sit. Stay. Roll over. Speak. All the good stuff. When we'd go to the Vet's office, I'd walk him and the Cairn in on leashes. All the dogs in the waiting room would be barking and jumping at him and he'd just hop up on a chair and look around trying to figure out what they were barking at. :laughing:

/ Strange things your pets do... #37  
My mom had a dog that would play dead when told to. But he'd be on his back looking at you. Mom would say "Dead dogs close their eyes." and the darn dog would close his eyes! We got him at the pound. The previous owners gave him up because they said he was untrainable. That was they most trainable dog I'd ever seen. Sit, shake hands, other paw, sit up, lie down, roll over, roll over the other way, play dead, close your eyes, hold up 1 finger and he'd bark once. 2 fingers twice. 3 fingers three times. 4 fingers and he'd just start barking and not stop. Jump through hoops, climb ladders, walked on a leash really well, never pulled. The paper boy would whistle at the end of the driveway and he'd run down there, get the paper, and take it to whichever person you told him to. Mom taught him if he came in with wet feet, she'd say wet feet and he'd plop down and put all 4 feet up in the air. She'd wipe off his feet with a rag from a basket by the door, then hand him the rag and tell him to put it away. He'd take it to the laundry room and drop it on the floor in front of the washing machine, then head to the kitchen for his reward. If you'd point as someone and snap your fingers he'd start snarling, bare his teeth and growl and all the hair on his back would stand up. You'd tell him good boy and he'd just turn it off and start wagging his tail. That was scary, actually.

All in all, it was absolutely the smartest, easiest to teach dog I've ever known. My mom taught him all that stuff. And he picked her. She was walking through the pound, all the dogs were going nuts, but he just sat at the cage door and put his paw on her leg as she stopped to look at him, and that was that.

I've seen a few dogs on TV that were like that, but never met one in person. Truly a once in a lifetime dog experience.

/ Strange things your pets do... #38  
Ok,most of y'all have heard one similar this but didn't believe it to be true. If I'm streaching this story,may the fuel grimlins gum up my carburator. A good for nothing dog showed up at Granddad's house and began killing chickens,chasing cattle,barking at the moon and generally making a nucence of himself. Soft hearted Gramps tried breaking the habits but eventually gave up and dumped him on the side of the road over 25 miles away only to have the dog beat him back home. If gramps had not been such softie,he would have done as most in those days did and shot the dog rather than dumping him. Gramps took the event to be an omen and kept the dog. I always injoyed it when Gramps told the story. My favorite part was how bib overall covered bellys sorta bounced as polite farmers refrained from bursting out laughing. I sure hope Gramps see's the humor when I explain it in the hereafter.
As my brother and I were leaving town,we saw Gramps pulling into the lumber yard and stopped to vist a few minutes. On our way home,brother said " that looked like Ol Sot we just passed" as he came to a stop. The dog came running and climbed over the tailgate. When we reached home,Sot hopped out and headed home less than 1 mile as a crow flies.

/ Strange things your pets do... #39  
I had a great Rottweiler, I went to town one day and tied him in back of the truck in the parking lot, under the trees. I went into the bike shop talk to some friends and went out the back door across the street into the post office, then back across to the diner for lunch on the porch, about 15 minutes later, he was laying next to me. As I was leaving my friend from bike shop came out and said that your dog walked into shop and froze the place. He was 125 lb male in fantastic shape, he followed your trail through shop and I watched him go into the post office. I went to post office and the asked they said yep came in walked around left.
He always made me proud. Was at the vets one day and two K9 officers came in with their shepherd's he got up and sat between my legs facing the two shepherd's. I was called to the window and as I walked over I gave him the hand signal to stay. They wanted to see him so I tapped on my pant leg and he came over, tapped the counter and he put front legs on the counter. When I was leaving the two K9 officers stopped me and wanted to where I got him and who trained him. I used to take him to my office at the university when I had an evening class or grading papers. I would just let him wander the building, he figured out how let himself out using the stairs. My friend used to come by and borrow for walks on campus, he said was great way to meet girls.

/ Strange things your pets do... #40  
I've seen cats whupping up on dogs but the dog usually instigated the fight and cat was defending it's self. Only once obsurved a cat ambush a dog several times their own size. Our lab mix and momma cat were inseperable pals. As I sat injoying the stars and night air,the cat lay on top of a window air conditioner. A dog from down the road came into my yard and began following and sniffing my dog. The cat leaped from her perch landing on the dogs shoulders with fangs and claws bared. Suprised dog disappeared into the dark yelping with the howling cat on his back and my barking dog pulling up the rear.

My last dog was attacked on several occasions while tied out to the truck, on lead, or in one case at a motel in Vermont the da#$ed thing jumped into my truck to attack my dog. Amazingly he lived through the experience; my first instinct was to deep six it off a bridge.
What I find frustrating is that people think it's funny. I'm required to keep my dog's shots up to date, on lead, and license him; yet when somebody's stinking cat attacks him it's a laughing matter, and I can only hope that it doesn't have one of the many diseases that they can carry.