Streaming services versus Direct TV

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #41  
You may be able to save money by streaming now, but what about the future? As cable & satellite companies go away, broadcasters will have to charge streaming services more for content in order to make up for lost revenue. Price hikes are sure to follow.

Any savings you get now may be short lived.
So all the customers who use Sat and Cable will not switch to streaming, what system will they use.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #42  
Ah, if it were only so. Here's my tale of antenna woe:

I live in a semi rural location, 40 miles from a large city that has 35 broadcast channels available. The house is on a hilltop and, except for trees, has a near line of sight view of the transmitter towers serving the city.

Even with an amplifier and an antenna rated for 120 miles, I can only get 9 channels. It drops to 5 in the summer with leaves on the trees.

Before TV went digital, I could receive all the available channels with a large VHF/UHF antenna on a roof mounted mast. Over the years, it was struck by lightning a dozen or more times. Early on, little damage resulted, due to an effective grounding system. More recently, with the proliferation of electronic devices around the house, lightning damage gets quite expensive. Consequently, I took down the mast and mounted the new digital antenna lower, below the roof line. That solved the lightning problem but our TV reception took a hit.

I would love to be able to ditch our satellite and go to a streaming service but few offer local channels at a reasonable price.

BTW, among others, I tried that HDTV Digital, 150 mile antenna from Amazon you show in your post. Not only didn't it work very well, but the first wind storm we had tore it to pieces. It's very cheaply made and I don't recommend it.
We're about 30 miles from the transmitters and tried a couple of different antennas that didn't work satisfactorily. I wound up going with this one at about 25' up on the chimney. Now we have a solid signal.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #43  
So all the customers who use Sat and Cable will not switch to streaming, what system will they use.
I know people that are paying $150 for DirecTv and complaining about the price when they could use an antenna and pay nothing.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #44  
The “old” antennas work just fine, most even better. The huge flying v’s just probably aren’t pretty enough. The tv frequencies were shifted, however they still use the VHF/UHF bands.
The majority are on the lower UHF frequencies (moving target, but I think it's in the 14-30 or so range), a few are on VHF frequencies, but those don't lend themselves as well to digital transmission. It's the lower VHF (2-6) that required the older antennas to be so big, and AFAIK those frequencies aren't used anymore.
I would love to be able to ditch our satellite and go to a streaming service but few offer local channels at a reasonable price.
When you say "local channels" are you referring to network tv or local programming? There are channels for smart tv's, Roku boxes, etc. that will let you stream local newscasts, and most of the networks' newscasts are also available if you search a bit.
As far as network programming goes, they all have their own streaming channels (CBS has Paramount+, NBC has Peacock, etc.) that have limited offerings for free, or by subscription for full access. We have Paramount + since most current network shows we're interested in are CBS.
I'm not interested in sports so I don't know what the options there are.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #45  
Also, the new digital antennas are Far better than the old tower antennas we had 20 years ago. You can probably pick up most of the major networks local channels, unless you are 150 miles from a city. Note, the advertised range is normally about double the real life range; if you get a 150 mile antenna, it's probably good for 75 miles, but still, they are Dirt Cheap.View attachment 848279
We don’t even have radio stations that can be picked up. So I guess it is where you live. I am less than 150 miles from a “city”. But I need decent internet for work, so I use that for everything.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV
UHF and VHF frequencies for over the air TV are line of sight (does not skip like some frequences). Does not matter much if you are 150 miles or 15 miles if you have a mountain range or high elevation ridge in-between it is a real challenge. I have an AT&T tower that is about 4 miles from the house. Coverage is near nil. Why - there are several ridges between the antenna elevation and our elevation.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #47  
We have both directTV and streaming from an apple tv device. I watch mostly weird sports like bicycle and motorcycle racing where some events are only on streaming.

There are some real drawbacks to streaming.

You probably need to sign up with more than one streaming service to get all the stuff you want. I try to keep it simple and there's still 2-3 services.

Each service has its own app, and the apps all work differently as far as the UI is concerned. And often they're pretty terrible interfaces, with parts that are downright broken. For example fast forward on Peacock on apple TV doesn't work. Often using their app on a tablet works better, and you can cast the video onto the TV for display. But that's an extra layer of stuff. It gets pretty complex.

The streaming services will let you watch your thing any time, but they can also delete it at any time. Leave it for a few weeks and it may be gone.

With streaming you usually can't fast forward past the ads. This is the worst part of using them.

The streaming services are all in the end stage of ensihttification where they are maximizing profits by jacking up prices on their captive customers. They're no longer a good deal.

OTOH for some bike races, once it's all set up and working, I can get better actual coverage. At least I did for one big race last year, but then that streaming service went under. Dunno what I'll do this year.

If you can get what you want on DirectTV I'd stick with that. It's a lot simpler and it just works.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #49  
SIAP, but check if Verizon has a cell tower near you. They have a whole house wifi router that works with their cell signal. $50/month. Get 20-40 mbps. We used it for a couple of years for streaming, until we recently got fiber optic installed.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #50  
SIAP, but check if Verizon has a cell tower near you. They have a whole house wifi router that works with their cell signal. $50/month. Get 20-40 mbps. We used it for a couple of years for streaming, until we recently got fiber optic installed.
Brother uses for point of sale for his seasonal Christmas Tree Retail Sales… said it works well and lowest cost option.

Don’t want to say how much Comcast wanted to run fiber to a “Commercial” business.

I’m sure it would pencil out for year round operation but for 2 months each year he is very happy with Verizon.