Stuck in the pond

/ Stuck in the pond #32  
Many may laugh at me, but I actually have turf tires on my tractor.

Why - because the vast majority of my work is mowing, mulching, brushing, hard scape and other chores for yards and gardens and general landscape. They work fine and do no damage to the grass or ground. The zero turn does more damage!

I really have little on my acreage where I could get stuck. I don’t take the tractor into the woods or down by the river. Really no reason.

I’ve gotten my 4 wheeler stuck a time or two in mud but that is what the winch is for.

Then again - I don’t use the tractor for large scale farming like many on this forum.
Deciding on the correct tire for the application is more important than a lot of people give much thought to.
I won't laugh at you for the turf tires. I use them on a golf course tractor I operate occassionally.

/ Stuck in the pond #33  
Happens the to best of us!! I had only used my tractor 10 hours when I took it on one of my steeper woods roads that had a bit of a mess at the bottom, got it down but I didn't get it back out. Had to clear some stumps and fill in some spots with old concrete.

/ Stuck in the pond #34  
Many may laugh at me, but I actually have turf tires on my tractor.

Why - because the vast majority of my work is mowing, mulching, brushing, hard scape and other chores for yards and gardens and general landscape. They work fine and do no damage to the grass or ground. The zero turn does more damage!

I really have little on my acreage where I could get stuck. I don’t take the tractor into the woods or down by the river. Really no reason.

I’ve gotten my 4 wheeler stuck a time or two in mud but that is what the winch is for.

Then again - I don’t use the tractor for large scale farming like many on this forum.

Not at all.
Run what makes sense for you.
I ride or die with R-1’s.

/ Stuck in the pond #37  
I did that 60 years ago with Grandad's Farmall mowing too close to lake. All it takes is one revolution of mud in tires and you have drag slicks regardless of tread. We were close to a tractor dealership and owner felt sorry for the kid!. He used a '30s John Deere 2 cylinder, large chain. Sounded like engine was running about 300 rpm (putt-putt-putt)...never changed pitch. Dragged it out & I forgot leaving it in gear!

/ Stuck in the pond #38  
I did that 60 years ago with Grandad's Farmall mowing too close to lake. All it takes is one revolution of mud in tires and you have drag slicks regardless of tread. We were close to a tractor dealership and owner felt sorry for the kid!
emoji38.png
. He used a '30s John Deere 2 cylinder, large chain. Sounded like engine was running about 300 rpm (putt-putt-putt)...never changed pitch. Dragged it out & I forgot leaving it in gear!
My dad has a number old tractors from that time frame. You're not kidding they don't break a sweat often. One of his little 20hp tractors weighs about the same as my 100hp tractor.

/ Stuck in the pond #39  
My dad has a number old tractors from that time frame. You're not kidding they don't break a sweat often. One of his little 20hp tractors weighs about the same as my 100hp tractor.
I am a real machine nut and really appreciate what folks built a century or more ago. Huge steam engines with remarkably low horsepower. And they used these steam powered tractors in the fields! Then the first internal combustion tractors, while much lighter than their steam predecessors, still were almost too heavy to believe. Of course the torque was very high just because of the way the engines were built with large diameter pistons and long strokes, and the huge flywheels had, of course, huge amounts of energy potential when spun up. Low horsepower but then they moved slow. Engine designers were just learning what worked and how it worked.
Eric

/ Stuck in the pond #40  
R-1’s don’t have to be “soft squishy” they can be had with stiff sidewalls and inflated with air pressure to make them stiffer. I do loader work with my R-1’s in the 3 ton range and the tires are excellent.

That’s just an assumption because the R-1’s would give you a much higher chance to be out of the mud before you ever get stuck in the first place.

I have run full size backhoes with R-4’s and they get stuck easily in 4WD. I‘ve also run R-1’s and R-4’s on farm size tractors.

Night & day difference.

A full size backhoe weighs substantially more than a farm tractor. Of course they get stuck worse. All R4 a aren’t equal either. Some have huge block treads with maybe an inch between them. Those are pretty useless. Others have fairly skinny lugs with a big gap between them that are pretty comparable to R-1s.