Stuck PTO shaft

/ Stuck PTO shaft #12  
Most black greases are clay based and under heat (hot sun) that can bake real hard.
On the other side of the coin is no grease and rust will weld that PTO shaft real tight.
Heat can sometimes help to soften that dry caked grease.
Rapping with a hammer can also break the bond all while pulling.
Now when I lube a PTO shaft I always use a synthetic grease, works for me. (so far)

/ Stuck PTO shaft #13  
I'd try a couple pipe wrenches to turn the opposite direction from normal. What has happened is the inside piece has gotten over rotated and stuck. You need to get them unstuck because they need to move to/fro some in normal lifting and operation. Otherwise, it'll blow out a thrust bearing on your tractor or the gearbox of the hog.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #14  
use anti seize instead or grease. thin coating is all it takes. it will never stick again.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #15  
   / Stuck PTO shaft #16  
Should I add it didn’t get used last year and was stored outside.😩 i greased it , but apparently not enough. I am surprised they don’t come with a grease fitting. If I get it apart, I may just drill and tap it for one
I guess you have now learned that you need to take more precautions to prevent a repeat. Like doing what is necessary to keep water off of the shaft and using a lube that will not harden like most greases. When you start using or finish using, you might even want to consider using oil instead of grease. And/or when storing, consider a way to make the shaft stand in the air and place something over the end - long enough to keep rain from getting between the sliding sections. I keep mine under shelter and place the end on a piece of wood to keep it clean.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #17  
I hung my post-hole digger from a tree limb with PTO shaft attached, and didn't use it for a couple years. When I discovered that it wouldn't slide, I used tractor and chains, heat, hammer, etc, but could not budge it. I assumed it was rusted together. It took a 35,000lb excavator to pull it apart - with considerable effort-, and the problem was dried grease. Now the shaft lives in the barn unless in use on the tractor.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #18  
Just pull the shaft halves apart if it's going to be sitting up a while. All of mine are apart unless I'm using them. That's one of the things I use burnt motor oil for.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #19  
My brother gave up on his, and went to TSC and bought a new one!
I told him " if I had his money I would burn mine "