Stuck PTO shaft

/ Stuck PTO shaft #1  

PHIL850

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850
The PTO shaft on my brushhog is frozen and won’t extend. I’ve soaked it in both PB BLASTER and WD40. Anyone
got any tricks up your sleeve to get these unstuck?

/ Stuck PTO shaft #2  
Ive pulled them apart with a chain and tractor before from all the old dried gease. Clean it up nice and shiny and reassemble.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #3  
I used my finish mower 2 weeks ago and when i went to hook it up yesterday the shaft was froze, I put a ratchet strap from the end of the shaft to the back of the tractor , It took a little but finally popped loose , Took it apart cleaned and lubed ready to go.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #5  
The PTO shaft on my brushhog is frozen and won’t extend. I’ve soaked it in both PB BLASTER and WD40. Anyone
got any tricks up your sleeve to get these unstuck?
If it is not fully compressed, it is usually easier to drive it in to break it loose.

P.S. When you unhook, don't leave them fully compressed:)

Best,

ed

/ Stuck PTO shaft
Should I add it didn’t get used last year and was stored outside.😩 i greased it , but apparently not enough. I am surprised they don’t come with a grease fitting. If I get it apart, I may just drill and tap it for one

/ Stuck PTO shaft #7  
Should I add it didn’t get used last year and was stored outside.😩 i greased it , but apparently not enough. I am surprised they don’t come with a grease fitting. If I get it apart, I may just drill and tap it for one
Now you know why I NEVER grease them!!

SR

/ Stuck PTO shaft #8  
Rust or grease, If you can hook it up between tractor and implement, Do that, and then run it for 10 minutes or so.
Don't try to raise or lower the implement, that would pull on things you don't want to pull on.

Just run it, and let the flex and motion do the dirty work.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #9  
My stuck PTO shaft was due to grease that had hardened. So once you get it apart and are done using it, pull it apart again, lube up both sections, then store both sections separately so this doesn't happen again.

I had to use a come-a-long, pulling VERY hard, and a big hammer to get mine to come apart.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #10  
I had one seize up when I wanted to take the cutter off. It had been on for quite some time. I could not get it to slide back so I just disconnected the 3 pt and drove forward. It came apart. Took the half off the PTO, cleaned both parts up, and slid them back together.