Stump grinder

/ Stump grinder #11  
While there is great satisfaction in doing your own work yourself, you may be able to assign a value to the more immediate gratification of hiring the stump removal out to someone with the equipment to do it quickly--a larger brush hog that could mow the stumps below the level that would affect yours, a mulcher or stump grinder to do the same, a bulldozer with scarifiers or root rake, an excavator with ripper tooth. Ask around; hiring it out might be a viable solution, or it might not.

/ Stump grinder #12  
Can rent a big one (think it's a Vermeer SC30TX) for about $1,100 for a week. Guessing it would take a week of constant running for the 2 to 4 hours/day that I'd be able to work it. Experience with this one?

Gotta clear out a lot of tree parts and chip up some stuff first to get it all out of the way. So, year end start is about right. First, gotta get my tractor back from JD shop.

Ralph
That's the way to go.
I hired a guy with a Vermeer SC372 to grind some 40 inch black walnut stumps. It took him about 10 minutes per stump and he ground them down about 12" below grade.

/ Stump grinder #13  
That's the way to go.
I hired a guy with a Vermeer SC372 to grind some 40 inch black walnut stumps. It took him about 10 minutes per stump and he ground them down about 12" below grade.

The stump grinder he’s proposing renting is a baby. It’s way out of its league on 40” stumps. 12” stumps is more like it. I’ve never used a 3 point stump grinder but I have used the rental unit in discussion. I’d buy the PTO model hands down even if I just had a 20 hp tractor.

/ Stump grinder #14  
If "small" stumps are 6-10" in diameter grinding those with your tractor would be unpleasant and problematic.

I'm still on the learning side of stump grinding. Last year I bought a 5HP walk behind, and was very pleased with what it would do. It handled a 10" ironwood stump no problem with patience, and went through cedar stumps of the same size with no difficulty. Unhappily, the stump grinder (along with most of the rest of my equipment) was damaged by fire, so I'm rebuilding. The stump grinder engine was ruined, so I'm going to modify its chassis and drive to be a three point mount PTO driven instead. It'll be a power increase anyway... Next summer will tell....

/ Stump grinder #15  
The wife was down below again, marking stumps. She bought another 100 flags and used them all up! Must be 200 stumps, mostly small ones, that we have to remove to be able to bush hog without keeping jamming them.

Looking at buy vs. rental. Best buy seems to be the WM 24" one that goes on the PTO for $2,400. Experience with this one? First shipment not until near end of the year.

Can buy a pull behind one for about $1,700 but would have to pull to near the stump, unhitch and then muscle the thing around to the stump and then muscle it back and forth, etc. to cut the stump. Don't think I can do it.

Can rent a big one (think it's a Vermeer SC30TX) for about $1,100 for a week. Guessing it would take a week of constant running for the 2 to 4 hours/day that I'd be able to work it. Experience with this one?

Gotta clear out a lot of tree parts and chip up some stuff first to get it all out of the way. So, year end start is about right. First, gotta get my tractor back from JD shop.

Ralph
I own a WM 24. Great tool. I have ground over 50 oak stumps 12' to 30", Over 40 pines 18" plus and too many sweet gums and boxwood stobs & stumps to count. Had mine for 2 years and haven't had to change teeth yet. Run it on a JD3046R

/ Stump grinder #16  
I own a WM 24. Great tool. I have ground over 50 oak stumps 12' to 30", Over 40 pines 18" plus and too many sweet gums and boxwood stobs & stumps to count. Had mine for 2 years and haven't had to change teeth yet. Run it on a JD3046R
Good to know. I've been hiring it done for the last two Springs. Had 40 Ash stumps ground this year 12"-36". The tree service had two machines (a stand on Vermeer and a big dog pulled behind a medium duty truck) at my place for 6 hrs. Cost $800. I would love to do it myself but am concerned with breaking my tractor (JD2520). Just seems too small for the job and I NEED it up for everything else. The cost of moving up on the tractor and implements seem prohibitive (and I hate the idea of dealing with tier 4)... so I hire pros.

Anybody grind with a 2000 series size machine?

/ Stump grinder #17  
There is One that is hydraulic and saw motor is pushed back with hydraulics. No getting on off tractor. Made by a sole proprietor that makes on demand. Uses a saw blade like a hydro axe to saw off below ground. Replaceable carbide teeth. Back up to stump, set unit on ground, ease lever back, move to next stump. You could find a logger and get him to cut them off. They cut them off below grade where they drive anyway. My brother has a bell feller buncher with a pincher head that cuts low.

/ Stump grinder #18  
Brings back REALLY OLD memories of stump removal. Just after WW2 and we were living in a small rental house. All the surrounding property was apple orchards.

The orchardist was replacing old sections of apple trees that year. He would come over in the evening with a gallon of fresh cider and let our family know that tomorrow he would be removing more trees.

My mom would try to keep me indoors the next day. The old man would use dynamite on the stumps he couldn't pull with his tractor.

This was like trying to keep a kid away from the candy store. I can still remember how exciting it was. He never used a lot of dynamite. Just enough to loosen the stump. Then chain it up to the tractor and jerk it out of the ground.

/ Stump grinder #19  
I removed approximately 450 stumps over last 3 years, using a Woods PTO stump grinder. Many stumps were 12" to 30" in diameter, and appeared to be mainly lightning killed trees over a 50 year period. These take 30mins grinding and are fun to remove.

But a large majority of those stumps were in the 3" to 4" range, early growth trees, which needed removal for bush hogging the area. These small ones take 5 mins positioning and 5 mins grinding, but they are a major nuisance.

/ Stump grinder #20  
I rented a Vermeer walk behind. Got rid of a very large fresh Eucalyptus and quite a few others. Four hour rental. But I ran it non stop. Sunbelt rental here gives you 8 hours on the meter for Friday-Monday at a one day charge. If you rent, get the one that drives around, not the one you have to push.