Stump grinder

/ Stump grinder #21  
I bought the Woodland Mills stump grinder last winter and it's been great. Two caveats: 1) you need space to work, since you have to move the tractor back and forth and maneuver while grinding. 2) because of #1, if the ground is soft you will probably make a real mess with ruts. Other than that, it works great and was a good buy for me. I used to spend $200-300 to rent a stump grinder and it was never a productive experience. So for the money, the WM unit pays for itself very quickly.

/ Stump grinder #22  
I have the Baumalight 1P24. LOVE it. Used to hire a guy to come out. While he was cheap, I've probably spent close to a grand with him. the 1P24 has paid for itself several times over and actually made me some money in the 2 years I've had it.

At the time of purchase I was debating hard between the 1P and 3P (swinging boom one). The 3P was like 3k more and just couldn't really justify it. Looking back, I kinda wish I bought the 3P just due to it being faster overall due to not having to reposition the tractor as much. But also knowing I can put the 1P under the stairs in the barn for the loft and the 3P would have to be sitting out in the way makes it less appealing.

Over all, owning a stump grinder instead of renting/hiring it out is such a huge bonus. I've probably ground 300+ stumps (ash, maple, a few oak/walnut/hickory) in the 2 years. A couple of the teeth are almost at the point of replacing due to rocks but still cuts to well to replace. Not to mention, the stumps get ground based upon your schedule. You're not running hardcore when the weather is decent because you rented it and HAVE to get it done. When you own it and it rains, oh well, they'll get ground later in the week.

/ Stump grinder
My wife is el cheapo. She says we can sharpen/replace chains on chain saw many times for price of a stump grinder. She's just digging around every stump and then cutting to ground level with the chain saw.

/ Stump grinder #24  
I've done that (hand dug/axed/sawn stump) on a few occasions but have a WG24 Stump Grinder now. It does fine on my 19 HP PTO Kubota.....and is a lot easier...if you have very many.

Attachments

• 1241.JPG
    1241.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 142
  • 1243.JPG
    1243.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 136
  • 1244.JPG
    1244.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 132
  • 1249.JPG
    1249.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 131
   / Stump grinder #25  
I've done that (hand dug/axed/sawn stump) on a few occasions but have a WG24 Stump Grinder now. It does fine on my 19 HP PTO Kubota.....and is a lot easier...if you have very many.

This is very helpful info... your B2620 is similar weight/power to my 2520. I see that many users seem to use their grinders without a quick hitch. I have one and would be reluctant to remove just to grind stumps. The increased overhang couldn't help things though.

Do you run your WG24 with a quick hitch? Thx again for the help!

/ Stump grinder #26  
I ground 32 stumps, up to about 30" in one day for a guy...

I made back half of the money I paid for my WG24, so along with grinding my own stumps, I see them as a pretty good buy.

SR

/ Stump grinder
Wife ran out of flags. Bought a package of 100 and quickly used them up in flagging stumps.

/ Stump grinder #28  
My WG24 is used on the B2620 with a Landpride QH15 (with bushings) and on the B2650 with the PAT"S easy hitch. Both have about 19 HP at the PTO. And both tractors perform well for me......just don't take too big a bite. So far I have ground over 30 stumps on my property and helped some neighbors too (for free). I use marking spray paint to highlight some stumps especially the lateral surface roots.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 111
   / Stump grinder #29  
Here is a novice question, but when trimming the pto shaft, did the manual instructions work for you? I followed what the instructions said, however when I raise the grinder up the bottom of the grinder doesn't tilt all the way forward because the pto shaft bottoms out. I'm thinking I need to trim more off the shaft, but not sure how much?

/ Stump grinder #30  
Here is a novice question, but when trimming the pto shaft, did the manual instructions work for you? I followed what the instructions said, however when I raise the grinder up the bottom of the grinder doesn't tilt all the way forward because the pto shaft bottoms out. I'm thinking I need to trim more off the shaft, but not sure how much?
If you aren't fully experienced in cutting shafts correctly, find someone who is for guidance or to do the job for you. You have to make sure it's long enough to function and yet short enough to not bottom out. Both of those dimensions need to take account the machine's full range of movement. You can actually bend--think make not usable-- equipment as it bottoms out.