Stupid Tractor Tricks

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #31  
I'm baffled now, what on earth would anyone want with a pine stump? (Macbeth witches brew maybe??)

I'll be happy to GIVE mine away, just come over, pick them up...heck, I'll even load them and cart them away.

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #32  
The only use for old pine stumps that I could think of would be to use to start fires. I know LL Bean used to sell parts of pine trees that were soaked in sap to start fires. They charged a hefty price as I remember.

I heard that stumps might be used to make gun powder. My dad was talking to a friend of his that used to blow stump out of the ground to clear land. They would then sell the stumps, I THINK, to be used to make gun powder. I'm going to ask him to get more info on this. I'm sure it must have been a local market kinda thing. I surely don't see people around here doing this and when I asked my timber agent about this he looked at me like I was completely off my rocker. :cool: BUT, reading the tax law on timber there was mention of the taxation of the income from stump sales. Maybe the tax code use of "stump" means something different than my understanding of "stump." I will NOT get into the meaning of "is." :cool:

Later...
Dan DeStump Man

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #33  
Dan DeStump Man,
My understanding of 'Stump Sales' is the sale of standing timber, and the survey of standing (on the stump) marketable board footage as figured by a timber cruiser. I could verify this with a cousin of mine who is a state certified timber cruiser for the state of Oregon. He travels the entire state doing exactly as mentioned above.

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #34  
I can remember when one could use tnt with out a permit to blow stumps. Man when I was a kid I thought that just plain it,but until the day my father try to blow a weeping willow stump...talk about a mud bath,/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gifafter that and still is low on my list.

The only good thing pine stump are for is ants,and keep those stump away from your house.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #35  
There is a Material yard nearby that sells, along with the usual stuff, decorative stone, gravel, and boulders. At one time they had a pile of stumps, and of course I had to ask. They told me they were being used as decorative landscaping.
One mans poison...

ErnieB
"Who will follow old Ben Milam into San Antonio?"
Ben Milam 1835

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #37  
Yep, and I should have cheated too, I slightly misquoted old Ben.

ErnieB
"Who will go with old Ben Milam into San Antonio?"
Ben Milam 1835

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #39  
This is the first stupid trick I did. Loading my L2650 for the first time started to back up on trailer had park brake on but not scotched.Also did not have knees on ramps.Lifted back wheels of truck off of ground.Needless to say here I went half on half off the trailer.Heading for 10 ft bank at an angle I would have rolled ,truck,trailer and tractor but for tree that saved the day.It did damage the truck a $1,000 worth.

/ Stupid Tractor Tricks #40  
Rick - Yikes!!! That doesn't sound like fun. That's a situation I'd never thought of before. I'm beginning to like my 3-axle trailer a lot better as I think about it, because it's almost impossible to tilt it that much. One thing I thought of, though: If the rear wheels on the truck come off the ground, your parking brake doesn't do anything anyway, unless it's a 4wd with a manual transmission, in gear, and 4wd engaged - not very likely. Sure makes those ramp knees sound more important, doesn't it?

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif