Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands?

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #21  
If money didnt matter I would have gone with a Kubota most likely. Since it does I felt like Massey was a good deal. My dealer is about an hour away but i can pretty much take care most of anything the tractor may need. Price was good and its a Massey so the history is there just as all the other majors.

Side note for all that are getting into these little tractors. Its beneficial to either mod up a skid plate or buy one. Ur hydraulic filter is underneath and is vulnerable. Ive seen a few threads where guys have damaged the filter and then crapped out the tractor and the dealer won't warranty the tractor. Which isn't surprising.

Bought mine to tick off the neighbors being something other than green. Priced the orange but it was still more than I wanted to spend with less front loader capacity. Other than my failure to ensure the midmount PTO was engaged fully mine has run flawlessly. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Yep I am one of the ones that busted the hydraulic filter. Look up the guy from Greenville, SC and buy his 150$ Cover, it will save you the $500 insurance deductible if you bought insurance, otherwise that filter destruction will cost you close to 2k$ As it destroys the front cover of the hydro.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #22  
In 2009 I had emailed all of the different manufacturers colors available in the "TLB Sub Compact Tractor" with my detailed list of accessories, hard cab, front snowblower, front dozer blade, setup/delivery, etc...

Only the Kubota dealer and the Massey Ferguson dealer responded to my emails, and Kubota wanted to sell me a larger tractor in order to get a hard cab (Kubota would not consider installing an after market hard cab on their little pumpkin).

Kubota was offering 0%/60 months financing and would not finance other manufacturers accessories (Woods Brush Hog).

Massey Ferguson was offering 0%/72 months financing and would also finance other manufacturers accessories (Woods Brush Hog, Sims Hard Cab).

The Kubota dealer was 70 miles away and the Massey Ferguson dealer was 250 miles away, so I was determined to learn and perform service/repair of my tractor as much as I could (fortunately, I have not had to send my tractor to any dealer for repairs, and I'm knocking on wood right now).

Now that I and Mother Nature have cleared lots of trees on our property, there's room for a compact TLB tractor to maneuver the property and I would consider a compact tractor if/when I would ever trade in the sub compact tractor.

My Massey Ferguson dealer no longer carries MF, so my new MF dealer is now 200 miles in the opposite direction, and for parts I just email them a list, they email a quote, I place the order, and they use my credit card on file for payment, then they ship the parts to me.

My Amsoil fluids I purchase direct from Amsoil on line, and some filters I purchase at my local Napa Store (6 miles away).

The little MF has been a pleasure to own/operate for the past 11 years and I almost have 700 hours on it !

KC

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #23  
I'll jump in.

Green was never on my list.

I was looking at Mahindra, but, even though there is a "dealer" listed 20 miles from me, it literally does not exist and when I emailed Mahindra Corp. they could not give me any other option.

Kubota went to the top - there are 2 , 1 is an hour away, the other is 90 mins. I was looking hard at the BX23S. I contacted the dealer an hour away on Xmas, and I even got a call from the sales guy the weekend after Xmas - nothing since.

Started looking at YouTube videos and discovered the MF line of SCUT's.

Did the online request with Massey, got an email immediately back welcoming me and a contact for the sales guy in my area; 1 day later got a VM from a sales rep. Sales guy was soft sell, just checking in, he said. I emailed him with what I was looking for - GC1725MB with box blade, tiller, landscape rake and QH, no mower and R1's. Sales guy sent me a price, and said he had a 1710 I could look at to just get an idea, it even had R1's on it. We've had numerous phone convo's and EM's since.

Currently awaiting to hear when they get their shipment in - they expect 3 1725MB's sometime in late April/early May, and 1 should have R1's on it, if not, they will put the R1's on it. The QH, bb & tiller (all from Gearmore) are all waiting their turn to get sent out, looks like early May for them. I bought the landscape rake from EA and it will be shipped to the dealer, expecting Memorial Day timeframe they said. The tractor will wait for the rake & and anything else, then he'll deliver it.

I never would have looked anywhere else, but, tbh, I knew the reputation of the MF brand (went to school with a lot of farmers & ranchers that ran them), just never considered they'd have a line of SCUT's.

The very successful effort put in by the sales rep to build rapport with me is why they will get my $$.

Pick

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #25  
I demo'd a gc2400 10 years ago before buying my ZTR. My impression was that it was a very nice, well built machine and would consider one with a MMM for mowing around the house.

I do not have a good impression on the Deere SCUTs, from what I see in the neighborhood they seem to have a lot of quality and durability issues.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #26  
John Deere didn't have OEM loader and backhoe available (Aus).
Kubota had weird pedals and no 3pt on the TLB.
Kioti couldn't take a MMM with BH subframe fitted.

Massey Ferguson ticked all the boxes at a reasonable price.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #27  
I have owned 3 Masseys and loved them all, a subcompact 1230 which is the ancient version of the Iseki tractor they make today.
Plus an Indian mid size utility (50hp) and a new 5 ton 4707 built in China/Brazil. That 25 year old 27hp Iseki was smooth and easy to drive.
Definitely an unhappy starter in the cold, don't know if newer versions have built in glow plugs but I had to lean on the switch at least 30 seconds before
I could get the little Iseki to start in even moderately cold weather. But even if Iseki is cold hearted, easy to work around. Versus the Indian tractor, similar to JD
5E model, which would start in less than one second with no glow plugs in any weather. That was one hot to trot engine that loved to start. The largest Massey was all electronic
and it decided just how much glow plugging it needed.

Iseki, Yanmar(JD) and Kubota...three good engines.
When I bought my Kubota 5740 I got within a hair of buying the comparable and not that much more expensive JD 4R series, but the Kubota dealer which was closest made me
feel appreciated, the JD folks just couldn't care less. Seems to be a throwback to the old ag dealers who couldn't bother with lawn mowers. My old dealer in Washington NC was an exception, there was a large JD chain dealer there who also treated me well, walked up and said good morning remembering my name, etc. My JD garden tractor had a diesel Yanmar engine, JD and Yanmar have been wedded at the hip for a long time.

My screen saver is the giant hood of my Ferrari red Massey 4707. Truly fire engine red, but then I'm an old volunteer fireman so that was fine with me.

If I get a larger property and need a tractor again, I'd buy the little Massey. But only if I had a decent dealer not too far away since I'm no mechanic. Drew

Last edited:
   / Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #28  
Only ever looked at the Kubota. Saw the BX at a Fall Fair in 2008, and really liked the dealer (who was only an hour away from my cottage where we use the tractor). Ordered the new 2009 BX25 TLB which was just coming out, and picked it up in October. Never looked back.

Very reliable, always starts in Winter, and I am still on the original battery. And plenty or power for the rear snowblower.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #29  
I looked for well over a year. First got attracted by a Kubota ad for the BX-23 and their generous financing. Then I began brand comparing. Started watching this chap in Newfoundland on YouTube who makes mods for the Kubota and realized a lot of the mods were addressing Kubota design shortcomings. Noticed that the MF equivalent was beefier, bigger loader and BH buckets, larger stabilizer pads - and hydraulics - and better priced. Then, being averse to financing, decided to look for something used - looked for yet another year - until a very nice 2410 came up 15 hours away. Snapped it up (if you can call a 3-day road trip "snapping"..)

All dealers for me are at best hours away so it's a wash. The nearest one, prefers to see orange even though they also rep MF. I buy my parts and supplies in another province and they ship for less $ in faster times. The rest I can handle myself. So far, anyway.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #30  
I'll jump in.

Green was never on my list.

I was looking at Mahindra, but, even though there is a "dealer" listed 20 miles from me, it literally does not exist and when I emailed Mahindra Corp. they could not give me any other option.

Kubota went to the top - there are 2 , 1 is an hour away, the other is 90 mins. I was looking hard at the BX23S. I contacted the dealer an hour away on Xmas, and I even got a call from the sales guy the weekend after Xmas - nothing since.

Started looking at YouTube videos and discovered the MF line of SCUT's.

Did the online request with Massey, got an email immediately back welcoming me and a contact for the sales guy in my area; 1 day later got a VM from a sales rep. Sales guy was soft sell, just checking in, he said. I emailed him with what I was looking for - GC1725MB with box blade, tiller, landscape rake and QH, no mower and R1's. Sales guy sent me a price, and said he had a 1710 I could look at to just get an idea, it even had R1's on it. We've had numerous phone convo's and EM's since.

Currently awaiting to hear when they get their shipment in - they expect 3 1725MB's sometime in late April/early May, and 1 should have R1's on it, if not, they will put the R1's on it. The QH, bb & tiller (all from Gearmore) are all waiting their turn to get sent out, looks like early May for them. I bought the landscape rake from EA and it will be shipped to the dealer, expecting Memorial Day timeframe they said. The tractor will wait for the rake & and anything else, then he'll deliver it.

I never would have looked anywhere else, but, tbh, I knew the reputation of the MF brand (went to school with a lot of farmers & ranchers that ran them), just never considered they'd have a line of SCUT's.

The very successful effort put in by the sales rep to build rapport with me is why they will get my $$.

Pick

This was also my experience with MF. Their customer service is very responsive and gets you in touch with your local dealer very quickly.

Ultimately, I went orange but, the MF is a great tractor and I will consider them in the future.

Mike