Super Duty Lead Times

/ Super Duty Lead Times #71  

Ford Wants More Car Buyers to Order Online and Wait, Rather Than Pick Off the Lot​

The auto maker plans to permanently reduce the number of vehicles carried on dealership lots, hoping to do more sales from buyers who custom order​

By
Updated Aug. 17, 2021 9:51 am ET

Possibly paywalled:

/ Super Duty Lead Times #72  

Ford Wants More Car Buyers to Order Online and Wait, Rather Than Pick Off the Lot​

The auto maker plans to permanently reduce the number of vehicles carried on dealership lots, hoping to do more sales from buyers who custom order​

By

Possibly paywalled:

That makes a lot of business sense. However in my case the info on the F350 on line build choices needs enhancement.

/ Super Duty Lead Times #73  
A F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box will not handle a 3500 lbs camper
I ended up buying a preowned in-bed camper from my neighbors for a prayer. They are letting me keep it on their lot until I get a new pickup. They had bought a GMC 2500 for it but got intimidated by the weight (3500 lbs dry). My intent is to special order a F350 (single rear wheel, crew cab, 6.7L) with a camper package if it is up to the task. The camper is set up for a 6-3/4' bed. Anyone have experience with this configuration? My F250 will go on the market.
A F350 SRW Crew Cab short box diesel 4x4 will not handle a 3500 lbs dry weight camper. Not even close. I own one and the max camper rating is only 2621 lbs. The truck does not even have 3500 lbs of payload capacity. For that much weight, you are in dually territory. I think Ram is the only one that makes a short box dually these days.

camper loading.jpgpayload label.jpgIMG_0895.JPG

/ Super Duty Lead Times #74  
Interesting. Know what configuration these might refer to?
1BF5DAD7-651E-4359-BC07-C690583444BF.jpeg

/ Super Duty Lead Times #75  

By

Possibly paywalled:

I can't see dealers being thrilled about this. Too many people just want to buy on the spot. It's why EVs are struggling (people want to fill up a tank in 3 minutes). Sure some people custom order but of all the people I know only one once custom ordered. I know I have, as well as others, have gone to a different dealer based on what they had on hand listed on their website. If it was too far away I know some people who have had a dealer do a swap to get a vehicle that fit what they wanted. Also ordering on-line means no negotiation over price.

/ Super Duty Lead Times #76  
I can't see dealers being thrilled about this. Too many people just want to buy on the spot. It's why EVs are struggling (people want to fill up a tank in 3 minutes). Sure some people custom order but of all the people I know only one once custom ordered. I know I have, as well as others, have gone to a different dealer based on what they had on hand listed on their website. If it was too far away I know some people who have had a dealer do a swap to get a vehicle that fit what they wanted. Also ordering on-line means no negotiation over price.

Agree 100%.

If Ford publicly announced this idea their dealers will not be happy.

There aren’t many manufacturers selling directly to consumers online that have the market cap of Ford.

MoKelly

/ Super Duty Lead Times #77  
They say reduce, not eliminate dealer stock piles. That will allow dealers to turn product quicker so they might not object.

/ Super Duty Lead Times #78  
Interesting. Know what configuration these might refer to?
4460 is for a gas engine not a diesel and with XL/base trim and no options. Max payload is still only 3940 on an XL diesel with 18" all terrain tires and no other options. Maximum camper rating is the max payload minus the weight of the maximum occupants (6 at 150 lbs each for a total of 900 lbs) which result in a max camper weight on the certificate for the diesel of 3040 lbs. Still well below the 3500 dry weight of the camper. The gas engine could barely do it with a max camper rating of 3560, but leaves little room for any options or content in the camper.

/ Super Duty Lead Times #79  
DRW

/ Super Duty Lead Times #80  
4460 is for a gas engine not a diesel and with XL/base trim and no options. Max payload is still only 3940 on an XL diesel with 18" all terrain tires and no other options. Maximum camper rating is the max payload minus the weight of the maximum occupants (6 at 150 lbs each for a total of 900 lbs) which result in a max camper weight on the certificate for the diesel of 3040 lbs. Still well below the 3500 dry weight of the camper. The gas engine could barely do it with a max camper rating of 3560, but leaves little room for any options or content in the camper.
I am glad you called this to my attention I was in a panic for a bit .... I had used a google search to get the "dry weight"... why not, everything on the internet is true :rolleyes:

I went to the manufacturer's site and the dry weight is listed as 2873 lbs. I then dug out the original brochure in the pile of paperwork the previous owner gave me and it confirms the 2873 lbs and that it is made for a 1 ton. So breathing room... some anyway. There would be only my wife and I in the pickup at any time and I am at my high school weight of 175 (my wife is only slightly above hers :cry:) and we would run with the tanks dry. So I am going to noodle this and probably stop at the Ford dealer tomorrow. I would like to stay away from a DWR if possible for size reasons when the camper is not on it. Looking at the brochure it may be that the google search took me to a listing for an upper model in the series made for a 450/4500 DRW, the numbers line up there. All the pictures of my model show it on a 350/3500.

Last edited: