Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor.

/ Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a 1/3 hp electric motor that I want to make into disk sander (French Wheel). I've got an arbor and a chuck and a wheel but the motor needs a switch and I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity. I can wire it, I just don't know what to get. Motor label say 115 volts; amps = 40 max.

Do I need any special sort of switch? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

/ Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #2  
That spec just doesn't sound right. The typical full load current for a 1/3 hp motor at 115 volts is 7.2 amps. The momentary starting current might approach 40 amps if it is a cheaply wound motor.
As long as the switch that you get is rated for the size circuit breaker you are running the motor on it should be OK.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor.
You are correct. It actually says "Max AMB" and then 40 C. Some of it was scratched off and hard to see but this is clearly referring to the max operating ambient temp. Thanks.

/ Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #4  
If it's pulling 115v at 40amps what are you plugging it into is probably the more important question.

I am also an elecchicken idiot but I've got a 1/2 hp hooked to my chicken plucker and I just put it in a standard wall switch inside a waterproof/outside housing.

• Good Post
   / Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #5  
Technically speaking you need a motor rated switch. But I have several motors, under 1hp, wired using standard light switches. Theoretically, a standard light switch cannot stand the inrush amps and will fail over time due to being overloaded and arcing. I am still waiting (30+ years) for one to fail.

Doug in SW IA

I bought an inexpensive motor rated switch. Thanks guys.

/ Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #7  
these work great, can be used on a variety of tools, and allows full speed or granular control

I have been told that these are intended for router sized motors and not for higher draw, higher powered motors and will either burn up the motor or the speed control. But as mentioned, I know nothing about this stuff.

/ Switch for 1/3 hp electric motor. #9  
I have been told that these are intended for router sized motors and not for higher draw, higher powered motors and will either burn up the motor or the speed control. But as mentioned, I know nothing about this stuff.
good up to 15 amp, i use them with my full size grinders/cutters

• Good Post