Syncro Shuttle vs HST

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #1  

Scottybdiving

Tractor
Kubota L2501 & Scag Turf Tiger II
I am looking to purchase a 40-60 HP tractor this year. The XR 4150 / 4155 seems to fit my needs. I have 18 ac, 50% groomed, 50% woods. I mow the groomed portion with a commercial ZTR. I want a shredder, FEL, forks. and a tiller. I was a Construction Super for 35 years but my experience with HST on heavy equipment was limited. Most used a power shuttle type transmission. Just looking for some pros and cons of both.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #2  
Running xr3135c with shuttle shift suits my needs. However with tier 4-5 emissions on these tractors above 25 hp a hydrostatic is best option to keep unit from coding. Typically hydrostatic requires more RPMs then clutch. Hindsight I would have bought Hydrostatic. Regarding power these tractors come with 3 speed transmission low, medium and high. These ranges optimize torque band in the hydro. All of these hydrostatics on compact tractor are bulletproof if you change oil and filters. Everyone has there own thoughts you will hear mixed thoughts but in general agreement. End of the day hydrostatic adds in additional 1-1.5K in cost. If your budget will accept the cost then it痴 ideal choice. That is if you plan to use FEL more so than rear attachments. If buying the tractor to use rear attachments then shuttle shift is plenty good enough. I would recommend LS for price point, kubota and Deere are costly but you buying established product line. Kioti I owned prior it was workhorse but shy on torque. Mahindra not sure. Looked at TYM they are dated unit. RK tractor service is good with some stores others not so. Rule thumb buy based upon Dealer you like and can trust. When you need service it痴 that dealer you chose that makes the difference. Brands quality are close but costs vary depending on brand. Best of luck It痴 like a marriage try to pick the right one and you keep it for along time. If not it痴 a messy separation. Been there on another tractor in my younger years, another story altogether.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #3  
View attachment 658864. My M6040 Kubota has hydraulic shuttle shift. With the Land Pride grapple, RimGuard filled rear tires & Rhino rear blade it weighs 10,100#. This type transmission works well for me.

++ on trustworthy dealer. I've never needed service but they are always happy to answer any questions.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #4  
I noticed on the original post that tilling is mentioned;
I am not a hydro fan but a geared tractor would need the creeper option transmission to use a tiller.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #5  
I noticed on the original post that tilling is mentioned;
I am not a hydro fan but a geared tractor would need the creeper option transmission to use a tiller.

Does it? I've never found the need of a creeper gear when using the tiller. I usually use 1st or 2nd Low.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #6  
Does it? I've never found the need of a creeper gear when using the tiller. I usually use 1st or 2nd Low.

I don't know I haven't run a tiller since around 1980.
I was using a Farmall 300 and the ground had to be plowed well before the tiller would work well,
otherwise the ground speed was to high for it to do a decent job.
The Farmall 300 in first was around 2 mph, my Branson 8050 is about 1 mph.
What speed is normal for a tiller, especially in unbroken ground?

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #7  
I don't know I haven't run a tiller since around 1980.
I was using a Farmall 300 and the ground had to be plowed well before the tiller would work well,
otherwise the ground speed was to high for it to do a decent job.
The Farmall 300 in first was around 2 mph, my Branson 8050 is about 1 mph.
What speed is normal for a tiller, especially in unbroken ground?

I don't know the right speed. I usually go by feel for the soil conditions at the time I'm tilling.

But looking at the speed chart for my tractor, 1st is 0.7 mph and 2nd is 1.1 mph. 1st in M range is the 2 mph that the Farmall had, so yes, it was a bit too fast.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #8  
For what it’s worth...
I own a mahindra 3550 hst, 90% of the time hst is great some days I wish I had pst for pullling a house up the hill..
The tractor has 1200 hours in it and have used it like a rented mule, she works hard and gets the jobs done.
Put her in low range and you can push about anything.
Would I buy the tractor again, yes and no.
Yea for how well built it is, non for the service aspect, trying to find a mechanic that works for mahindra is like finding a unicorn...
Filters are pricy and Napa does not cross over to mahindra parts.
If I did it again new holand or case would be my choice as they are still cheaper than green and orange paint and have an actual parts department.

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #9  
Same here, and I've been doing custom tilling for more years than some of these guys been alive!

SR

/ Syncro Shuttle vs HST #10  
I have an XR4150 open cab, shuttle. Note that this is not a power shuttle. You must use the clutch. I also use a tiller, subsoiler, rotary mower, ditch bank flail mower, FEL with forks, hay spear, bucket, and grapple. I like my shuttle. I am used to using the clutch. Modern clutches are built better and last a long time if run right. I felt the shuttle was right for me. That said, if I was doing mostly FEL work than the HST might be better. My mower is HST, but I like the greater power pulling up the hills. As far as the trans, it is 16 speeds. It can go slow enough. I would have loved a power shuttle but not available on this size tractor. Make sure you test drive any and everything. I like the way I sat on the tractor, the pedals, and controls. If it does not fell like you can stay on it for several hours, find something else that fits you. For most of use this is a long time investment.