Tailwheel vs impact gun

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
Well so far its brushhog tail wheel 1 and craftsman impact wrench zero.

I had to replace my bolts that hold the tailwheel onto the hub of my brushhog, however i think ive burned out my 1+ y.o.craftsman impact wrench trying to drive in 3 bolts. I think the thread angles were different so they were being contancerous ( sp?).

Anyone have any advice on a good impact wrench? Mine just blows out the bypass and doesnt spin. I added some machine oil, adjusted the pressure to spec, but still nothing.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #2  
My old Powerfist (from Princess Auto) was acting weak too some time ago and I discovered that the end plate on the back of it was a bit loose, actually one little bolt had already fallen right out:eek:. Tightened them all back up and all of a sudden it was like I'll given it a shot of adrenalin or Red Bull or some such. Worth a try!:2cents:

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #3  
Sounds like a lubrication problem with that gun, leaving the vanes in the air motor stuck a bit -- doesnt take much. Have you been feeding it a few drops of light oil and/or Kroil before and after each use. If not feed it a bunch and let it blow thru and see if you can get it to start and run both ways. This willblow out the small amt of crap caked in the vane grooves and it will be good as new ... almost.

...It may also be that the particular gun you have isnt a high power design and wont be enuf even working right. If that turns out the case, shop Ingersol Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, and other name brands for ones in the 600ftlb torque delivery range. Usually $200 or less can get you a good, very powerful gun. Cheaper powerful ones will be slightly less durable but for home shop use they should still last well.
larry

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun
Thanks for the tip. Ive checked everything on there and cant seem to find anything loose. It did this a few mos ago when i needed most ( of course) and then it fired back up w/o a hitch. Now it just seems to be completely dead. Do the have a clutch or something inside that can give way? I dont know alot about the inner workings/impact mechanism. It was a combo kit w/ air rachet on sale so i bought on an impulse.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #5  
One of these would be pretty nice. I have a snap on mg325 and it will out torque what my old 1/2" would.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #6  
One of these would be pretty nice. I have a snap on mg325 and it will out torque what my old 1/2" would.

Your link is to a 2115 which is a 3/8" impact. Farther down the page, they show the 2135 which is the 1/2" and which most would want. My personal impact wrench now is an IR231 that I got at a pawn shop. There are lots of cheap impact wrenches and if you read the specs, get one with enough power, and keep it lubricated, it'll probably do just fine. If you want one for which parts are available if it needs repair, Snap-on is good if you don't mind paying double or triple for any parts you need, otherwise go with Ingersoll-Rand or Chicago Pneumatic or MAC, Matco, etc. that are made by one of those.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #7  
Thanks for the tip. Ive checked everything on there and cant seem to find anything loose. It did this a few mos ago when i needed most ( of course) and then it fired back up w/o a hitch. Now it just seems to be completely dead. Do the have a clutch or something inside that can give way? I dont know alot about the inner workings/impact mechanism. It was a combo kit w/ air rachet on sale so i bought on an impulse.

You didn't say which model Craftsman you have, but I've never seen or heard of an impact wrench with a clutch. The impact mechanism is lubricated with grease on some impacts and with 20W or 30W non-detergent motor oil on the others. If it's grease, there's a tiny ball bearing somewhere on the exterior through which you can add grease with a needlenosed grease gun. If it's motor oil, there's a plug you unscrew on the side of the front housing. You set it down so that when you put oil in there, you fill it halfway. And then any of them needs air tool oil inserted through the air inlet to lubricate the air motor. A teaspoonful is a lot, normally. However, you cannot harm the tool by putting too much air tool oil in the air intake. It will simply blow the excess out the exhaust.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #8  
If what you have is this Craftsman Ratchet/Impact Combo Kit it should have plenty of power and if you set it down, upside down (handle up) there should be an "oil" plug on the side not shown in the picture. You remove it with an Allen (hex) wrench to put 30W motor oil in there. Non-detergent is recommended, but any will do. With it set down upside down, turn it so oil will run back out if you fill it more than half full. Those tools have an oil seal in the nose around the anvil and if it goes bad, the oil will leak out the front.

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #9  
I have an IR2135 at home and at work. No complaints at all. VERY powerfu and VERY light. I think you can get one around $250-$300. Well worth it IMO

/ Tailwheel vs impact gun #10  
I have an IR2135 at home and at work. No complaints at all. VERY powerfu and VERY light. I think you can get one around $250-$300. Well worth it IMO

The first time I got an IR2131 (predecessor to your 2135) in for repair was also the first time I'd seen one and I couldn't believe they'd made a plastic impact wrench (composite) with an aluminum alloy cylinder.:laughing: But they're hard to beat for a half inch impact.