Taking out a stump, a BIG stump

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #31  
YOU MUST HAVE STUDIED FROM MY FORMER DENTIST, THAT'S EXACTLY HOW A FEW TEETH WERE EXTRACTED FROM MY MOUTH!! NO PICTURES THOUGH, SORRY!

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #32  
Dave, Please go down to the gully that you left your stump in and see if it's still there. I'm afraid it may have migrated to the NorthWest for the summer and has found my front yard to be suitable habitat for nesting! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I am currently working on getting it dug out so I can send it back South. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I could use some advice from an experienced stump wrangler.
Here's my problem:
I cut down a big maple yesterday (it's 3' diameter) and made the mistake of going after the stump right away with my 3130. I've got it 2/3's the way dug out but now I'm wondering if I'll even be able to move it much less get it out of the hole. How did you split your stump? I've tried punching the teeth straight down on the top of it splitting maul style but it's not going well. Any Ideas?

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #33  
Brett,
I have removed some fairly large alder and maple stumps recently. I have a B7500, so I have to use a little finesse rather than brute force. My technique involves digging a ramp down one side after I have dug a deep trench with the BH all the way around the stump(s). With the ramp, I actually dig under the stump so I can tip it over and then drag it out of the hole. There is no way I can lift stumps like this with my tractor, but I can drag and push them around. I'll attach a couple of photos so you can see. Hope this helps.

Greg

Attachments

• 284741-Cluster3.jpg
    284741-Cluster3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 412
   / Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #34  
Here is another one.

Attachments

• 284742-Cluster4.jpg
    284742-Cluster4.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 371
   / Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #35  
You do nice work! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the post and suggestions, l learned a thing or 3 here!

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #36  
That's pretty impressive Greg, but... now what /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #37  
Rob,
Since I bought my tractor back in September, I have been collecting stumps. I have attached a picture of my burn pile before I lit it. There are about 20 stumps of various sizes in there (5 clusters of 3 or more and some singles) as well as some other wood debris. It took me all weekend to burn, but by Sunday evening all that was left was the small remnants of 2 stumps. I guess those will be the start of my new collection. There were some huge stumps in that pile. The only way I could move them was to push them up the road with the loader. I was able to tip them on end with my BH so they would rest against each other to burn better.

Greg

Attachments

• 284836-BurnPile.jpg
    284836-BurnPile.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 332
   / Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #38  
GregJ

That is incredible! I now know two things I didn't know before.

1. Why "large" sink holes sometimes occur where there was once a stump/tree.

2. Why they make stump grinders!

In fact, your picture would make a great advertisement for a stump grinder company!

Mike

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #39  
Micromike,
A stump grinder would not have worked in this case. I will be regrading and putting in a terraced vegetable garden area where those stumps were. I have graded it smooth and planted lawn for now. I plan to let it sit for a year and start my final grading and garden project early next spring.

Greg

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #40  
Nice pictures. Digging stumps can be hard and time consuming. But DON'T try to slam the hoe down on the stump and try and split as you would an ax. That's a real quick way to ruin the boom or the teeth. Just dig around the stump and lift it with the hoe, only way to do it. Let us know how it goes.

Blake
WA