TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED!

/ TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED! #31  
I don’t think there’s enough pressure to open a check valve..
Do u have a knob on your inlet banjo bolt.??
If yes, try turning it the other way and see what happens..

/ TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED!
If replacing the damage lift pump doesn't fix my problem (and I am now expecting that it will not), what I try next is simply temporarily crimping that return line to connects to the top of the filter assembly with a hemostat. If the air is entering the filter assembly from there, then it should stop the problem without preventing the return line from still running from the back of the injector assembly back to tank. I'm sure I have no leak from a crack in the filter assembly, so it has to be from the return line connection.

Here's another thing to consider. The return line leaving the injectors connects to the line to tank and the line to filter assembly using a "T" fitting. Should it matter which part of the "T" goes to which line? I thought I once heard that, at least in waste water household plumbing, It's imperative to use a "Y" fitting vs. a "T" fitting when joining three pipes. I think "T" fittings can cause a suction in a cross line when fluid is moving rapidly along the straight line place on the connection. If I'm right, the "straight" linkage on the "T" should be the line from the injectors to the line heading back to the tank. The bottom of the "T" should go to the filter assembly. Right now, I have it the other way around, possibly causing air to be sucked from the tank toward the "T" connector.

I may try switch those lines and seeing if that makes any difference. It would be amusing if that was the problem! When I replaced those lines many weeks ago, I did not bother to pay attention to which line went to which part of the "T" connector. The devil is in the details!

/ TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED! #33  
Your post doesn't say if your losing power, mine did at higher rpm. Replacing the lift pump solved the issue for me Same machine mine is a 2003. And that is all I did, had an issue found the same situation here on TBN, replaced the pump, solved. Good Luck.

I would occasionally lose power, but not consistently. What would happen is that, if I didn't pay attention to the height of the fuel in the filter bowl, I could drain the bowl completely and the tractor would then stall out. I would then need to reprime the injectors (always a pain in arse)...

/ TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED! #35  
Mine never stalled out only lost power (rpm) happened a few times started doing research here and ordered the lift pump and installed. Look forward to hearing how yours runs with the new lift pump installed.

Going back to theory that air could be entering the filter bowl through the fuel return line (via the tank), here is a diagram I found online from a site that sells fuel line check valves. While the arrangement on this diagram is different from my TC 35 (especially with the lift pump being BEFORE the filter assembly vs. the pump being AFTER the filter), it does reveal the probable value of having check valves in a fuel system to prevent things moving in the wrong direction.

I have order a small in line check valve designed for diesel that I will probably try.
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 9.03.16 AM.png

So I got a three pack of these 3/16" check valves. They were only $7.99 for the three of them. Rated for fuel oil (including diesel). If my little experiment with crimping the return line to the filter assembly works, I will likely install one of these valves on the section of the return line that runs up to the tank. Should stop fuel (and then air) from being suctioned back down that line and into the filter bowl...
Image 9-15-22 at 1.01 PM.jpg

So crimping the return line where it enters the top of the filter bowl fixed it, at least for a solid hour of running the tractor at high throttle and mowing a sense field. The air is DEFINITELY coming in from that location. And the only logical place to access that air has to be from the return line to/from the tank. I theoretically could run the tractor this way indefinitely, with that small return to filter bowl just closed off permanently…right? All I think I would be sacrificing is the warming effect of the recycled fuel from the injectors to prevent gelling in really cold weather. But I use an antigelling additive in the winter and have a block heater for when it gets really cold here.

I think I will try installing the check valve on that return run to the tank. Providing there is enough fuel pressure to keep the valve open when it heading back to the tank, it should stop the suction of air back the other way. Not a bad experiment for $7.99 either way. If it doesn’t work, I think I’ve still essentially solved the problem!

/ TC35 fuel filter problem SOLVED! #39  
So crimping the return line where it enters the top of the filter bowl fixed it, at least for a solid hour of running the tractor at high throttle and mowing a sense field. The air is DEFINITELY coming in from that location. And the only logical place to access that air has to be from the return line to/from the tank. I theoretically could run the tractor this way indefinitely, with that small return to filter bowl just closed off permanently…right? All I think I would be sacrificing is the warming effect of the recycled fuel from the injectors to prevent gelling in really cold weather. But I use an antigelling additive in the winter and have a block heater for when it gets really cold here.

I think I will try installing the check valve on that return run to the tank. Providing there is enough fuel pressure to keep the valve open when it heading back to the tank, it should stop the suction of air back the other way. Not a bad experiment for $7.99 either way. If it doesn’t work, I think I’ve still essentially solved the problem!
While your experiment does seem to have solved your problem and may work going forward, I'm still curious and I'm sure you are as well as to what has changed that caused your filter housing to lose its fuel level. Yours as well as thousands of other TC35A's have run without a clamp on the return line.

Its almost like your tank has a vacuum on it and will not allow the fuel to flow into your filter, but with a vent line being on your filter the fuel is allowed to be pulled from it and replaced with air from the vent. Its an example of the path which offers the least resistance will be taken.

Is there a pressure rating on the pressure required to open the check valves that you purchased?

While your experiment does seem to have solved your problem and may work going forward, I'm still curious and I'm sure you are as well as to what has changed that caused your filter housing to lose its fuel level. Yours as well as thousands of other TC35A's have run without a clamp on the return line.

Its almost like your tank has a vacuum on it and will not allow the fuel to flow into your filter, but with a vent line being on your filter the fuel is allowed to be pulled from it and replaced with air from the vent. Its an example of the path which offers the least resistance will be taken.

Is there a pressure rating on the pressure required to open the check valves that you purchased?
That's the thing that drives me a bit crazy about this. The tank vents perfectly, so it's not a vacuum build up in the tank itself. It's not a blockage in the tank or near the tank exit, as I completely drained the tank, rinsed it out with diesel and diesel conditioner, and did not get even a speck of particulates out of the tank. It's not the main fuel line as near as I can be certain, as when I drained the tank I was able to empty about 9 gallons of diesel in about 12 minutes of gravity draining. That's a rate of flow FAR in excess of what the engine could ever demand. And I watched it drain for that entire time; there was never a moment where the flow rate slowed until it reached that last quart or so of diesel and there was simply less weight of fuel above the outlet to encourage draining.

I will admit that while I changed out the two small sections of the return line with brand new OEM 3/16" fuel line, I did not change out the longer section to the tank, nor did I change out the main fuel line. I did inspect them, however, and they absolutely looked and functioned perfectly. At one point, I wondered whether the INSIDE of the main fuel line had degraded over the years, and had somehow created a rougher surface where friction could slow the rate of fuel movement. But the speed of draining I mentioned above seems to negate that theory. The diesel flowed out rapidly and consistently under gravity, and at a pace that would far exceed even a high rate of fuel use by the engine.

I don't have an specs on the pressure required to open that soon to arrive 3/16" check valve. I can't imagine it's any more than a few psi, but I'll have to wait and see. If it doesn't work, it was but a small investment. I can only hope that this thread is read by someone who has had this same problem AND is now entirely CERTAIN of what is the etiology of the symptom. It's become pretty clear to me that I am far from the only TC owner who has encountered this exactly same issue