Teaching.

/ Teaching. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
Member Furu brought his Longevity Stickweld 250 over this morning to work on his scratch start Tig welding. Later he wanted to practice a little vertical up with 7018. This is what he did on a V-butt plate. I'm so proud of this weld!:thumbsup: I think this is his second time working on vertical up. Maybe he'll post a picture of his Tig weld. Introduced him to walking the cup today.:D

Attachments

• F7018 VU.JPG
    F7018 VU.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 236
  • F7018 VU2.JPG
    F7018 VU2.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 225
   / Teaching. #2  
Looking good!

/ Teaching. #3  
I will have to get a picture of the TIG weld that I did with my little Stickweld 250 and post it tomorrow.

Today we worked on scratch TIG, he got to reevaluate my Stickweld 250 which had been recently replaced as the previous unit had a problem from day one and it had deteriorated significantly. There is another thread on that topic that I need to update and hope to do that tomorrow as well. The stick positions we worked on were vertical up and overhead. My consistency is still erratic as I can get a nice looking weld and then I goober one up. Need more practice.

What an amazing opportunity I have to learn from someone like Shield Arc. He offered to help me learn how to use my Stickweld 250 last year after I got it. My previous experience was all O/A welding and I knew basically nothing about SMAW and even less about TIG. As a retired professional welder, Shield Arc has directed my learning a new skill, SMAW, with fantastic communication and guidance. He says that he is no teacher. I tell him that he is one amazing teacher! His ability to communicate the concept that he is imparting is outstanding. Yes I am getting one-on-one which can not be beat, but his knowledge and the way he imparts that is a great boon for me. If I am able to learn from him 1% of what he knows, I will count myself a very lucky person.

Today he also taught me how to sharpen drill bits, both dull, damaged, and even broken ones on a grinder. No fancy device like Drill Doctor just your hands, a grinder, and the drill bit. He made it seem simple and it really was not that hard. His teaching technique that I mentioned above in welding comes through and he taught me how to sharpen drill bits consistently in less than 30 minutes. When I got home I took my old drill bits that were chipped, dull and in some cases broken, and worked on them for a while in order to solidify the learning curve that I had started earlier in the day. Trust me if I can learn to sharpen drill bits by hand so can you. I just happen to be fortunate that I have Shield Arc to teach me how it is done.

/ Teaching. #4  
Very cool! Glad you guys had fun, and your progress looks great! Hes a good man! sometimes :D

/ Teaching. #5  
I will have to get a picture of the TIG weld that I did with my little Stickweld 250 and post it tomorrow.

Well here is a picture of that TIG weld that Shield Arc mentioned. He had me walking the cup on this and I was a bit small in the walking movements of the cup and thus you do not really see any stack of dimes. What you see is more of a very fine fish scale. The Stickweld 250 really does generate a nice arc for the scratch TIG.

IMG_2244r.jpg

/ Teaching. #6  
Good Mornin Furu,
Very nice job ! We all should be so lucky to have a neighbor like Shield Arc ! ;):)

Post a picture of your unit when you can, thanks !

/ Teaching. #7  
Hey Shieldarc, mind if I come down for a lesson sometime.:laughing: Your just south of me. :D

/ Teaching.
Sure you bet!:thumbsup: Aren't you in Victoria? I'm about 80-miles south of Port Angeles. Last time I took that ferry, seems like it cost and arm & leg! And that was in the 1980s

/ Teaching. #9  
Yep Im just outside victoria. The ferry prices have gone up a ton in the last few years, I think 2 people and a normal car is over $80 now... When we haul the horse trailer it is almost $200... I will let you know if I am ever in washington, if your ever in victoria, feel free to stop by.

/ Teaching.
$80.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked: WOW! I was thinking it was around $40.00