Dirt Moving Techniques To Leveling Dirt

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #41  
Hey Guys - thanks for all the great replies. -------------------------

It's a Hawse bx bade with front and back blades but no rakes. The high to low spots may only be about 2-3 feet difference over the course of 30 feet, more wavy and rolling than anything else, if I can figure out how to add pix I will do so. I like the angle blade idea and starting on a small flat spot, of going in circles or fig. 8's.Te 3 point has lower 'dogleg' links kept from swinging around by 2 turnbuckles (no hydro top link).

This is the way I upload pictures from a computer: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/photos/107314-photo-posting-how-3.html?highlight=#post3967120

Use "Medium" or "Full Size". "Large" only works on small pictures less than 556 pixels wide:

3.png

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #42  
find your neutral position for the box blade so its not going down all the time. set you down feed speed to slow so once the bo goes over a high spot it will stay up longer as you drive over the low spot dumping what it picked up from the high spot into the low spot. see my video on the box blade here. THE BOX BLADE - YouTube

Anybody new to the box blade should watch this -- Dave has done an excellent, comprehensive video here, with all the details explained. It's like a 20 minute master's degree in using the box blade. Thanks Dave!!

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #43  
Got to thinking - I've leveled dirt with my ATP - dragging a wooden pallet. Company down the way makes HD pallets and I obtained one. Attached with a rope harness and drug back/forth & round & round it will break up clods and smooth new or existing dirt.

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #44  
   / Techniques To Leveling Dirt #45  
   / Techniques To Leveling Dirt #46  
Got to thinking - I've leveled dirt with my ATP - dragging a wooden pallet. Company down the way makes HD pallets and I obtained one. Attached with a rope harness and drug back/forth & round & round it will break up clods and smooth new or existing dirt.

That's a good cheap idea. Maybe pound a bunch of nails in it to break up the grass a little? Could be bad if they fell out tho so maybe bolt some type of ripping spikes to it.
I'm leaning towards using my atv for pulling whatever grading device.

Back to my chain idea, couldn't a pipe be put over the chains or multiple chains in X or H or both allow for floating and twisting yet keep a blade at angle if desired?

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #47  
I've got the same question as the OP. I have about 3/4 acre to 'level'. Biggest elevation change in a 40x40 area is about 8" that I would want to make level. You can see it a little bit in the foreground of this picture. Want to know if a box blade is the best tool for this.IMG_4072.JPG

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #48  
ssbogger - the land shown in your uploaded picture IS level. I would say that you could smooth it by dragging something behind your tractor. A pallet, set of old bed springs, a spread of old logging chains or probably the best - - a drag harrow.

To get the land pictured "more level" - you will need laser equipped equipment. Such as a Trimble Laser controlled agriculture grade equipment - $$$$$$.

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt
To get the land pictured "more level" - you will need laser equipped equipment. Such as a Trimble Laser controlled agriculture grade equipment - $$$$$$.

OOoooohhhh YES - that's what I need!! :D

Honestly mine is not a lot worse that that

/ Techniques To Leveling Dirt #50  
ssbogger - the land shown in your uploaded picture IS level. I would say that you could smooth it by dragging something behind your tractor. A pallet, set of old bed springs, a spread of old logging chains or probably the best - - a drag harrow.

I’ll try to get a better picture. That part is not that bad, probably 3” elevation difference in a 40’ square. The area way back near the burn pile is worse.
Today I tried using my grapple going forward almost level and the back dragging at a little more angle and had decent results.