Tell me about a better router.

/ Tell me about a better router.
That's impressive speed - assume this is with a ethernet connection? If these are your wireless speeds even more so. We just upgraded our comcast to 1GB connection and are getting 100MBS wireless, and 300MB ethernet speed. We need to upgrade the cable modem to get more speed.

I installed a Netgear 1900 AC router 3-4 years ago to replace a Netgear N600 + Netgear Extender in the house due to intermittent service, and now we get 50MBS wireless to all devices in the house with the wireless router in the garage 80+' to the TV's etc. thru the roof of the garage and a few walls of the house.

They are about $129 or so now. I would take a laptop or phone and check the wireless speed in the bedroom where the TV is and see what DL speeds you get there.

Those speeds are with an ethernet connection. I took your advice and took my phone to various spots around the house and checked my speed with Ookla Speed Test. In my office next to the router I had download speed of 382.48. In the kitchen it was 56.37 and by the bedroom TV it was 8.72.

I had an extender in the kitchen which was between the office and bedroom and another one in the bedroom. On a hunch I removed the extender from the bedroom and checked speed again and it was 45.72. We will be checking the iPad and the TV in the bedroom more later on and seeing if we are still having problems.

/ Tell me about a better router. #22  
I highly recommend the Amplifi system made by Ubiquiti. While a little pricey, it is bullet proof. Have installed 5-6 into peoples homes and not a single complaint afterword's.

It has a central router with Wi-Fi, and comes with 2 Mesh access points. These access points work very differently than extenders that share the same radio. You would place the cube where your existing router is, and plug the mesh point into a regular wall outlet in the bedroom. Your Wi-Fi woes should be a thing of the past.

Available from your local big box electronics stores. More info here - AmpliFi | Faster, Whole-Home Wi-Fi

/ Tell me about a better router. #23  
I highly recommend the Amplifi system made by Ubiquiti. While a little pricey, it is bullet proof. Have installed 5-6 into peoples homes and not a single complaint afterword's.

It has a central router with Wi-Fi, and comes with 2 Mesh access points. These access points work very differently than extenders that share the same radio. You would place the cube where your existing router is, and plug the mesh point into a regular wall outlet in the bedroom. Your Wi-Fi woes should be a thing of the past.

Available from your local big box electronics stores. More info here - AmpliFi | Faster, Whole-Home Wi-Fi

LoL,,,This has all the earmarks of "spy on the shelf"....! I wonder what the small print in the user agreement for the firmware reads like...LoL....That puppy probably tracks every url browsed and listens to every word said within proximity to every device connected...

/ Tell me about a better router. #25  
sounds like you have channel conflicts. I have an R8000 for 4 years now and I did have channel conflicts in two of the three bands. I called the cable company and they helped me clear it up even though they don't support the router.

/ Tell me about a better router. #26  
We are currently using a TP-Link AC1750 and it does great. I think at the time it cost less than $70 U.S. Your internet speed is a lot better than ours, but we run a desktop PC, 2 tablets, TV and sometimes phones. Watch a lot of Netflix on my tablet.

/ Tell me about a better router. #27  
Those speeds are with an ethernet connection. I took your advice and took my phone to various spots around the house and checked my speed with Ookla Speed Test. In my office next to the router I had download speed of 382.48. In the kitchen it was 56.37 and by the bedroom TV it was 8.72.

I had an extender in the kitchen which was between the office and bedroom and another one in the bedroom. On a hunch I removed the extender from the bedroom and checked speed again and it was 45.72. We will be checking the iPad and the TV in the bedroom more later on and seeing if we are still having problems.

Wow, that is a huge swing. I have my router in the kitchen which is in the middle of the house. I have 100mps service, and I test between 108-112 at the 4 outer corners of the house. The slowest test is when I am standing 3 ft from the router. It tests 100-104.

If you get a new router, go for an AX router. This is the latest speed - A, B, G, N, AC and now AX. And Wifi 6 is the latest format. Newer cell phones will use it. I just wish I could get fast service like you have! Of course, 100mps service is plenty fast, we stream all our TV shows and have 3 laptops, 3 i-pads and 3 i-phones going at any given time and we never have buffering issues.

/ Tell me about a better router.
I took advice from some of you and ran a cat5 wire from my router to another old router I put in my bedroom. My speed test now shows 171.18 which is fast enough for everything I want to do. Thanks to all for your help.

/ Tell me about a better router. #29  
Many of you don't know how lucky you are to have speeds like 50 mbps and up. Many of us out in the boondocks have no alternative to wireless - and speeds of 25 on a good day... Or DSL speeds of 5 to 10. I'm a mile off the road so cable is no option. Wireless from ATT or Verizon gives me from 15 to 25. I have a long, skinny house (my wife wanted it - long story) so I used the Netgear Powerline units to run the signal through my house electric lines about 40 feet to the receiving moden to the dining room with almost no loss. I then hooked that remote to an old Netgear wireless router and the TV - that is another 30 further away - gets enough signal to stream YouTube and movies... Barely. The Netgear Powerline units are available on e-bay for $20 to $120, depending on throughput. Works for me. I'm now eagerly awaiting a test of a local phone company who is setting up a directed wireless service that may just reach me with speeds up to 100 mbps at a reasonable cost. Hoping my trees won't block it too much... Testing Thursday to see.