Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,641  
About 25 years ago my father in-law and I went ice fishing on a local lake that had frozen completely clear. It's the strangest thing. You get nervous. Why? Because you can't tell how thick the ice is. But you can't tell that on opaque ice, either. So what's the difference? The difference is in your head.

Once you start drilling a hole in the clear ice, it turns white like shaved ice in a snow cone. Then we realized it was 8-10" thick.

The downside of the clear is was that this was a shallow lake, about 4-5' average depth. You could see the fish. And they could see you. So every time you moved, they'd move about 3' from the hole. The only way you could hope to catch anything is to set the pole down and walk away and hope the fish hooked themselves.

A friend of mine was out there and he did that. A bass took his bait and his pole! So he got another pole and put a weighted treble hook on it in hopes of snagging the line, then went out and found his pole. Every time he started drilling a hole, the bass would move off and he'd have to chase after it again. Finally after a couple hours and a few dozen holes, he managed to snag the line, bring up his pole, and bring up the bass as well. It was a keeper, but he let it go. Figured it earned it. (y)

After an hour or so of my father in-law and I not being able too get close enough to the fish, I spotted a place at the end of the lake where lily pads had stuck through the clear ice, and stopped some drifts of snow. We drilled there, found only 2' of water, but caught about 2 dozen 11" perch in just a few minutes. By then, the -22F temps had gotten the best of us, and we went back to the cabin we'd rented at the state park and had a fish fry.

One of many good times I had with my father in-law. :)

About 25 years ago my father in-law and I went ice fishing on a local lake that had frozen completely clear. It's the strangest thing. You get nervous. Why? Because you can't tell how thick the ice is. But you can't tell that on opaque ice, either. So what's the difference? The difference is in your head.

Once you start drilling a hole in the clear ice, it turns white like shaved ice in a snow cone. Then we realized it was 8-10" thick.

The downside of the clear is was that this was a shallow lake, about 4-5' average depth. You could see the fish. And they could see you. So every time you moved, they'd move about 3' from the hole. The only way you could hope to catch anything is to set the pole down and walk away and hope the fish hooked themselves.

A friend of mine was out there and he did that. A bass took his bait and his pole! So he got another pole and put a weighted treble hook on it in hopes of snagging the line, then went out and found his pole. Every time he started drilling a hole, the bass would move off and he'd have to chase after it again. Finally after a couple hours and a few dozen holes, he managed to snag the line, bring up his pole, and bring up the bass as well. It was a keeper, but he let it go. Figured it earned it. (y)

After an hour or so of my father in-law and I not being able too get close enough to the fish, I spotted a place at the end of the lake where lily pads had stuck through the clear ice, and stopped some drifts of snow. We drilled there, found only 2' of water, but caught about 2 dozen 11" perch in just a few minutes. By then, the -22F temps had gotten the best of us, and we went back to the cabin we'd rented at the state park and had a fish fry.

One of many good times I had with my father in-law. :)
Have you ever been out on the "freezing" lake when it starts to make noise? I was ice boating one time (sailing on ice) and the temperature was dropping. This was early in the season and the ice was getting thicker and cracking and making these strange noises. Was freaked out about it. And the ice was clear. Jon

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,643  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #1,644  
Have you ever been out on the "freezing" lake when it starts to make noise? I was ice boating one time (sailing on ice) and the temperature was dropping. This was early in the season and the ice was getting thicker and cracking and making these strange noises. Was freaked out about it. And the ice was clear. Jon
There is a farm pond nearby that my family ice skates on (or has, the kids are out now)

One early winter, we all went skating there, and the ice on the shallow portion was so clear as to be invisible. Eerily so. It was not possible to discern the thickness on that portion of the pond. The greater portion at that. Inviting, but not welcoming...

We five family members ice skated on the portion that clearly showed the ice more than 6 inches thick and had a fine time. But I was curious.. Eventually I made a commitment, got up some real skating speed and aimed right for the transition, knowing that if I fell through it would be cold wet and muddy, but not so deep to drown.

It was SUBLIME! The clear ice was every bit as thick as the rest, and smooth as glass. We could even see muskrats going about their daily affairs under the ice.! Great memories. Thanks!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,645  
The Detroit Salt Company mine is located 1,200 feet beneath the city of Detroit's surface, spreads out more than 1,500 acres and has over 100 miles of underground roads. The mine shaft was dug 1100ft down in 1910, and by 1914 was producing 96,000tons of salt annually.
Detroit Salt currently produces 1.7 million tons of salt annually, and will increase to 2.5 million tons if a proposed expansion is approved.
So much for mineral rights... what if I want to sink a deep well for the vegetable garden?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,646  
There is a farm pond nearby that my family ice skates on (or has, the kids are out now)

One early winter, we all went skating there, and the ice on the shallow portion was so clear as to be invisible. Eerily so. It was not possible to discern the thickness on that portion of the pond. The greater portion at that. Inviting, but not welcoming...

We five family members ice skated on the portion that clearly showed the ice more than 6 inches thick and had a fine time. But I was curious.. Eventually I made a commitment, got up some real skating speed and aimed right for the transition, knowing that if I fell through it would be cold wet and muddy, but not so deep to drown.

It was SUBLIME! The clear ice was every bit as thick as the rest, and smooth as glass. We could even see muskrats going about their daily affairs under the ice.! Great memories. Thanks!
In the mid 70’s we had a rare hard freezing spell, well hard by South Georgia standards. So my older brother and his quite chubby buddy decided to ice skate (no skates of course here). They were maybe 14. It didn’t go well and apparently they weren’t too bright. The little pond they chose was a hog parlor lagoon. 🐷 💩 I just remember Mama making him strip down in the garage. She wasn’t happy either.:LOL:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,647  
We call that 'booming' when it cracks. The first time you hear it it freaks you out for sure. BOOMS! CRACKS! A lot of people think the ice if failing when you hear that, but it's 'making ice' as they say. Water is a weird puppy. It expands when frozen. It can't take the pressure and it cracks from the squeezing pressures.

And then there's the weird noises that would make good sound effects for an alien movie on a distant planet. It bounces off the bottom of the lake and can appear to sound like it's coming from all around you.

I love it. (y)

Here's a great example of the sounds you can hear out there I found on youtube. Enjoy!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,650  
What a loon. Liquid courage (Vodka) does strange things to humans.
He's got a bunch of videos. Pretty entertaining.

I've stuck my head in the ice water a few times. It's physically painful but invigorating.

One of the thrilling things about ice fishing and extreme cold weather is you know if you screw up, you could die. I'm pretty cautious, and I'm not planning on dying for a bluegill. But in all reality, the best you have is a good guess as to the condition of the ice just a few feet in another direction.

I've always carried ice picks, a whistle, and a rope if I need to help others. But finally, a few years ago, I purchased a floating ice fishing jacket. It should allow me to get myself out of the hole should I fall through, and die of exposure on top of the ice, VS dying of drowning and sinking to the bottom. 🙃