Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,631  
Still, WTH would you pull a gun on someone who was breaking into a vending machine?

Maybe he was worried about "having to answer to the Coca-Cola company?"

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,632  
Same here...and...she was shot in the fracas and the bullet is in her yet! Can't locate the fracas or the yet.
I thought she was shot in the ensuing fracas....

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,633  
Freezing hot water faster than cold is possibler but only under very technical laboratory conditions. You'll never do it in your kitchen.
I did, several times.

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,634  
The Detroit Salt Company mine is located 1,200 feet beneath the city of Detroit's surface, spreads out more than 1,500 acres and has over 100 miles of underground roads. The mine shaft was dug 1100ft down in 1910, and by 1914 was producing 96,000tons of salt annually.
Detroit Salt currently produces 1.7 million tons of salt annually, and will increase to 2.5 million tons if a proposed expansion is approved.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,635  
Freezing hot water faster than cold is possibler but only under very technical laboratory conditions. You'll never do it in your kitchen.

When I cook Ramen noodles (I can be lazy) the directions says to only use room temperature water, never hot.

Wouldn’t it get done faster with hot?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,636  
I'm not much on religious trappings, but I am always curious about glyphs etc, and the evidence of those who have gone before us. (Assyrians seem to have "been there, done that)

Anyway, this image caught my eye.

What is old, is new again.

1662168390484.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,637  
Hot water does make CLEAR ice cubes. The dissolved gasses that are present in cold water, "fizz out" as the hot water pours from the tap.

Clear ice is "up scale" for those social climbers who care about such things. ;-)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,638  
About 25 years ago my father in-law and I went ice fishing on a local lake that had frozen completely clear. It's the strangest thing. You get nervous. Why? Because you can't tell how thick the ice is. But you can't tell that on opaque ice, either. So what's the difference? The difference is in your head.

Once you start drilling a hole in the clear ice, it turns white like shaved ice in a snow cone. Then we realized it was 8-10" thick.

The downside of the clear is was that this was a shallow lake, about 4-5' average depth. You could see the fish. And they could see you. So every time you moved, they'd move about 3' from the hole. The only way you could hope to catch anything is to set the pole down and walk away and hope the fish hooked themselves.

A friend of mine was out there and he did that. A bass took his bait and his pole! So he got another pole and put a weighted treble hook on it in hopes of snagging the line, then went out and found his pole. Every time he started drilling a hole, the bass would move off and he'd have to chase after it again. Finally after a couple hours and a few dozen holes, he managed to snag the line, bring up his pole, and bring up the bass as well. It was a keeper, but he let it go. Figured it earned it. (y)

After an hour or so of my father in-law and I not being able too get close enough to the fish, I spotted a place at the end of the lake where lily pads had stuck through the clear ice, and stopped some drifts of snow. We drilled there, found only 2' of water, but caught about 2 dozen 11" perch in just a few minutes. By then, the -22F temps had gotten the best of us, and we went back to the cabin we'd rented at the state park and had a fish fry.

One of many good times I had with my father in-law. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,639  
Hot water does make CLEAR ice cubes. The dissolved gasses that are present in cold water, "fizz out" as the hot water pours from the tap.

Clear ice is "up scale" for those social climbers who care about such things. ;-)
Pure water will freeze at a higher temperature; the dissolved salts and gasses probably act as an antifreeze, and heating the water may purify it a tad.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #1,640  
This image even carries the theme of this thread!

1662175061543.png