Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,661  
I always remember the old joke. It starts out farmer Henry has 20 sheep and he sells 5, then he buys 15, you keep this going for a couple of minutes doing it slow enough and easy enough the other person can do the math in his head. Then you get to the end and ask him what the farmers name was.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,662  
Not everyone gets the same test. There were some folks that got perfect scores on the math portion of the SAT in 1982. If that particular question was never answered correctly, and yet someone got a perfect score, it more than likely they didn't get that question in their packet.

Or.

WE'VE ALL BEEN DUPED!!!!

🤣
Or, they answered the question incorrectly (by choosing 3), but it was scored as the correct answer because whoever wrote the question thought that 3 was correct.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,663  
1679230850266.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,664  
try to stay focused just 1 more time: Take 2 quarters and line them up on a table faces up and aligned. Holding one of them firmly in place (Superglue if necessary), carefully roll the moveable one around the stationary coin. Now take this data, plus what you learned from fencing, and identify the law that the Education System completely missed.
You worded the original question incorrectly. You never said one of the circles/gears was stationary or that the small one rotates "about" the larger one.

The way you worded it the correct answer is indeed 3.

You don't need to explain the "real" test question any further....the videos already posted show that....and it's nothing like the fence post analogy.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,665  
Ambiguity in the SATs seems to have been a given :cool:

IQ tests are even funnier. One had a question about sailboats and turning.
Needless to say most kids had never been on a sailboat,

#3,666  
Speaking of sailboats, the sail is shaped similar to an airplane wing when filled with air, the phenomenon is what allows a sailboat to sail into the wind, but only at a 45 degree angle. I learned to sail in a boat like this, very small, that my dad owned.
D2495095-8834-4861-9F3D-9BC55331AF46.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,667  
The answer is always 3

The answer to every numeric question could be "about 3", if you adjust your units accordingly. Of course, this may force you to use old surveying units such as "rods per second", when an officer is asking you just how fast you thought you were going through that school zone.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,668  
Speaking of sailboats, the sail is shaped similar to an airplane wing when filled with air, the phenomenon is what allows a sailboat to sail into the wind, but only at a 45 degree angle. I learned to sail in a boat like this, very small, that my dad owned.
View attachment 789260
Opti! Tried getting my kids into those, but it didn't take. They sail an RS Zest now. I sail Thistle class.

Anyone watching America's cup the last 15 years will note that some classes have actually switched from sails to solid wings. A sail is nothing but a wing, turned on its side. Or if we take the historical perspective of foil sails pre-dating flight, wings are nothing but sails, turned on the flat. It's the lift generated by the sail that lets you sail into the wind, and apparent wind generated by your own speed that lets you steer even higher into the wind than 45° to the true wind, on many racing boats.

#3,669  
When I sailed that little dingy it was on a lake in Illinois. It had a lot of houses and trees and this made it a lot of work. It made me appreciate a steady wind without changing direction for sailing. It was a lot of fun.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,670  
The correct answer is 4. That wasn't one of the choices on the original question here:

View attachment 789138

Here's why.

The answer is 3.

If circle B is looked at like a "clock" then circle A starts at the 12 o clock position and completes one revolution around circle B at the "4 o clock position, and then circle A completes two revolutions at the 8 o clock position, and then circle A then completes the third revolution at the 12 o clock position which was the starting position.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

KC