Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#5,691  
This isn’t exactly what I sailed in but similar.
IMG_0524.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,692  
Then there are iceboats that sail at speeds many multiples of the actual wind speed due to apparent wind effects, and often much closer to the true wind than would be achievable on liquid water.
Top recorded speed is on the order of 143mph...
(and that's Lake Winnebago, for those who care.)

All the best,

Peter
From the article:
"the fastest official ice boat speed was recorded on Lake Winnebags, Wisconsin in 1938 by sailor John D. Buckstaff. It was a stellar 143 mph!".
So 85 years ago! Wonder what that boat looked like since there wasn't much technology then.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,695  
Started on a Sunfish, then a Fireball with trapezes, 2 Hobie 16, again with traps, Holder 14, 2 Hobie Waves with traps and jib sails, one with a spinnaker, 4 Lockley Skimmers, which are ice boats. Those were the fastest. Based on car traffic, my estimated/guessed speed was 45mph. We actually wore snowmobile helmets to protect our heads if we hit the hard water (ice). Now only 2 Lockley Skimmers, and one Hobie Wave. Started sailing over 55 years ago. Just remembered there was another small monohall in there also. Jon

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,697  
I owned a 86 Dodge Charger. It was an OK car for the day and yes it was a 2 door Omni.
Wasn't bashing it, just stating that it was about as far from being a muscle car as you could get. I had an '85 Horizon, back in the day. Not particularly refined but a decent enough car.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#5,698  
Wasn't bashing it, just stating that it was about as far from being a muscle car as you could get. I had an '85 Horizon, back in the day. Not particularly refined but a decent enough car.
Are you kidding me. Mine had 110 ground pounding horsepower going through a 5 speed manual gearbox for exhilarating acceleration. ;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #5,699  
I took my drivers test in a Horizon. It was either grandma's Horizon or dad's 1 ton dump truck........

The Horizon was a heck of a lot easier to parallel park