Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,271  
Give a man a fish... that was my first thought while reading the article.
It kinda hit home when I read it; I used to do some farm work, and help my Grand Dad back in the 50's. I recall the wheat then would grow to 5 or 6 feet tall. Today, I never see any grow above knee high. The combines...for one thing...don't have to eat all that straw.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,272  
It kinda hit home when I read it; I used to do some farm work, and help my Grand Dad back in the 50's. I recall the wheat then would grow to 5 or 6 feet tall. Today, I never see any grow above knee high. The combines...for one thing...don't have to eat all that straw.
As a kid the straw was a hot commodity.
Used as bedding under the livestock.
My parents orchards all had straw spread around the trees. Kept moisture in during the summer, kept weeds down and added valuable hummus to the soil.
Was great for my childhood forts to.
Almost forgot, Spread out out up and down the strawberry rows. We didn't have the machine so had to do it by hand. I hated that job. Pa would walk around and complain if I didn't put down enough or too much.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,273  
I know sometimes they bailed it; don't think it was worth much, but it made plowing a heck of a lot easier.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,274  
I recall the wheat then would grow to 5 or 6 feet tall. Today, I never see any grow above knee high.
Also the yields are a lot higher than they used to be so plants are purposely bred to be shorter. It's harder for the wind to lay the plants over onto the ground with their heavier heads. You can also spray growth inhibitors on the plants so they don't grow as tall. When the stalks are all laying on the ground it's called lodging or lodged.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,275  
45E8FDBF-2FD5-4F73-BC05-24B33D2AFB56.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,277  
In case you didn't know hay bales are great places for snakes to hibernate.

Wet hay in a silo will ruin you day.
My grandfathers dairy barn burnt to the ground when a burning silo fell on it. The only thing saved were a few horses that had to be lead out of the barn with hoods over their heads. I think he had 35 or 40 milkers they and all the equipment were lost.