testing temp gauge

/ testing temp gauge #31  
Cool Paul, Slowly but surely we're marching ahead.:) It is there is a very good chance your sender is okay and you'd just verifies your wiring is in tact. T-start are normally closed valve, meaning at cold condition with engine off it is closed. Most have a small hole to allow some water passage. As the engine quickly warms up during the start up it then slowly opens up.

"Cool Paul" . . . Is that a pun?;)

JC, I'm including a photo of my thermostat with the faulty checkvalve/bleedvalve. Paul, these thermostats can fail because the little valve plunger gets out of position and jams the thermostat open. When this happens, the engine never gets hot. The easiest way to solve the problem is to just snip off the little "dangle" and remove it. The tiny hole will slow your heat-up, but not much. It will ensure the thermostat never fails this way again and you can put the thermostat back into your tractor instead of spending money on a new one. If you check your sensor/sender and it is okay, this is probably your problem.

Remember, if you remove the hose adapter neck to get at the thermostat, you are going to lose some coolant. It's best to drain part of your coolant (maybe 6 quarts) into a bucket by using the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator (normally on the bottom right side on the front of the radiator). you don't have to drain all the coolant, just enough so the level is below the thermostat. Before you do that, you will need a gasket, item 48 in the illustration I posted earlier. When you finish, you can put the coolant back into the tractor.

If you end up removing the sending unit, you will also need to drain the fluid the same way so it doesn't leak on the ground.

Attachments

• ThermostatProblem.jpg
    ThermostatProblem.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 103
   / testing temp gauge
Good morning,
When I was a kid we used to to that what I mean is we would drill a whole in the t-stat to insure that if it would get stuck we would always have some sort of flow for cooling back then they did not have a by pass hole.so I understand. I haven't put a meter to the sensor yet this morning chores first. As for the flow if I open the raid, cap I will brake the vacuum and spill some fluid because of the over flow system, I checked with the war dept. and she does not have a candy thermometer so I guess Ill have to go with the flow (ha ha) am hoping I can find the meter and its working (some time,s the boys had their own places to put things.any way if not we will have to buy them and that will take a day or two before I can get to town or for one to come by internet any I feel thing's are moving, as you said we now know the wiring and gauge are ok. Talk soon take care, Paul

/ testing temp gauge #33  
You don't need an expensive meter to check the sender, so this one from Radio Shack should work fine. Unfortunately, New Holland thinks their thermostats are made of gold and want over $30 for one.:rolleyes: I'm sure you don't want to replace it just to see if that's what is wrong. Also the sender is over $16, so your purchase of a cheap meter from Radio Shack is a good money-saving investment. Heck, you might have a neighbor or co-worker who has one. I have three or four around the house.

/ testing temp gauge
OK> Called RC they were out of stock so went thru the shop found two meters nether one worked acid and dead battery's spent the morning and part of the early afternoon repairing them was lucky both worked but not sure if there reading correct. went to the tractor outside temp was 95, removed the wire on the temp sender and set the meter and read the sensor to gnd ohm's scale read aprox. 200 ck'ed no matter what scale i went to the other meter it read 184.5 this is with cold eng. opened raid. cap started eng. meters went to 0 after about 12 min. raid got hot to touch no real action except water expanded slightly if my thinking is correct both sensor and t-stat are bad, their was a small pimple going on in the raid when it started and continued with out any change other than the expansion this could have been vibration? but no large flow type action, I have a friend coming over tomorrow and He said I could try his meter so stand by as soon as I test it again i will let you know what happened. Thanks for hanging in. Paul

Last edited:
   / testing temp gauge
traveler tk's for the idea and looking in I think we have one of those will try tomorrow. keep following.

/ testing temp gauge #36  
OK> Called RC they were out of stock so went thru the shop found two meters nether one worked acid and dead battery's spent the morning and part of the early afternoon repairing them was lucky both worked but not sure if there reading correct. went to the tractor outside temp was 95, removed the wire on the temp sender and set the meter and read the sensor to gnd ohm's scale read aprox. 200 ck'ed no matter what scale i went to the other meter it read 184.5 this is with cold eng. opened raid. cap started eng. meters went to 0 after about 12 min. raid got hot to touch no real action except water expanded slightly if my thinking is correct both sensor and t-stat are bad, their was a small pimple going on in the raid when it started and continued with out any change other than the expansion this could have been vibration? but no large flow type action, I have a friend coming over tomorrow and He said I could try his meter so stand by as soon as I test it again i will let you know what happened. Thanks for hanging in. Paul

Paul,

Let see if i got it right. You found 2 voltmeters in the shop. You tried to read battery voltage but was not able to do since the meters were bad, right? What did the meter had to do with the battery acid.. you got me a bit confused. Then you said you used same 2 metesr and read resistance in Ohms between the single wire and the ground and both showed around 200 ohms give or take 10. That indicates to me that meter's are reading okay and the 10 ohms difference is not very much and is acceptable. My sender and Jim's shows around 700 ohms cold and at full operating temp and even above it does not go to zero. so I have a strong suspicion your sender is faulty. After 12 minutes does the needle on the dash goes full hot in the read region? if so then again meter is bad as your tractor did not overheat in 12 minutes of operation. If you don't have a large flow in the beginning could be indication that your t-stat is closed like it should be and only getting a bit of flow thru the by-pass hole. we'll see what happens tomorrow. You might call your buddy to see if he had a temp gauge of some sort, even candy thermometer.

we'll see what you can come up tomorrow. some after market sensing unit can also be bought from automotive store. You might call Napa and they might be able and cross reference and get you right one inexpensively.

good luck,
JC,

/ testing temp gauge #37  
Paul, before you can get an accurate reading on the ohms scale, you have to zero the meter. You do that by putting the leads together and then adjust the ohms zero for exactly zero ohms. If you don't do that, any reading of the resistance will not be accurate. Low ohm resistance is very, very hard to read accurately. Most ohmeters have a 0-1000 ohm scale and may or may not have a 0-100 ohm scale. You have to use the 0-1000 ohm scale for your sensor. If you zeroed your meter, then I apologize for being so detailed, but since you did not mention it, I wanted to bring it up.

It seems to me if your sending unit was just 200 ohms, your temp indicator should have been up in the lower part of the green. 200 ohms would be almost normal temperature, around 140 degrees. That's why I think your meter was not zeroed properly. The problem is that we don't know anything for certain. We don't know the actual temperature, if the gage is working properly (for the correct ohms), or if the sender is accurate. All we know for sure is that if the wire to the gage is grounded, the gage goes to hot. That's a good first step, but not conclusive.

JC, I think when he was talking about acid, he meant the corrosion around his batteries in his meter, not the battery acid in the tractor. Meters that have sat unused for many years with batteries in them are normally a mess due to battery leakage and corrosion. Not sure, but. . . .

/ testing temp gauge #38  
"All we know for sure is that if the wire to the gage is grounded, the gage goes to hot. That's a good first step, but not conclusive."

You could always wire in a 1K potentiometer in place of the sending unit and check the meter readings.

/ testing temp gauge
HERE WE GO: Got up this morning with a new look at life out side temp was a lot cooler and the tractor was in the shade my friend came over with his meter so here's a new report: Using his meter and starting with a cold eng. the sender read around 185 should have read between 6&700 ohm's right? removed raid.cap started eng no action in the raid used wife's meat t-meter to check eng water temp, after running 15 min at 1000 RPM.temp it only showed a little over 120 degree's with no action in the raid. and steady. I think the t-stat's is stuck open and not letting the eng warm up enough to actuate the sensor to show any temp we think maybe his ohm meter might be off as well? but the temp sensor is telling us it's the t-stat??. What do you think? as for the battery's the meter's would not work with bad battery's one is an analog the other a digital. the idea of the meat thermometer came from traveler see another post.

/ testing temp gauge
HI" thanks for the input, only problem is using a pot. will only tell you if the meter and the wiring to it are ok not the system but a good idea just the same- Paul