Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,681  
Islands are still there Bird! Don't know if they still allow camping, but during summer holidays, they are covered with people drinking, playing volley ball and..er going topless:shocked:

Dennis, in the days when I camped on the islands, only one time did we ever see anyone else set foot on any of the islands, and there were no facilities of any kind; there'd never been any kind of construction on any of the islands.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,682  
Dennis didn't use a skid steer.:rolleyes: He used a Mini Track Loader.:cool:

Brandi, I did the last half with a skidsteer, thats where most of the "damage" came from, but again its a garden spot that will be tilled anyhoo.

Dennis, in the days when I camped on the islands, only one time did we ever see anyone else set foot on any of the islands, and there were no facilities of any kind; there'd never been any kind of construction on any of the islands.

Bird, there still isn't any facilities, but folks still use the larger islands quite often.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,683  
Brandi, I did the last half with a skidsteer, thats where most of the "damage" came from, but again its a garden spot that will be tilled anyhoo.
Dennis,
Okay, I'm confused now.:confused: The photo you posted shows a Kubota mini track loader.:thumbsup: A skid steer has 4 wheel and tires.;) Which did you use?:confused2:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,684  
I added about 6 yards of sand to my garden yesterday in a spot with lots of clay. I tilled it in and today I tilled it again plus I did the rest of the garden one last time. My soil is as fluffy as a pillow.

I put my row bedder on my tractor and bedded up 5 rows. In the first three rows, I planted 560 onions, 240 purple onions and the rest split between yellow and white. My grandson helped by putting out fertilizer and poking holes for the onions. I bought the onion bulbs from TSC because I have a lot more luck with them than the onion sets that often dry out in the stores before you buy them. With sets, I get 75% success, but the onion bulbs give me 95% or more. Since the bulbs are bigger, they put up a stem very quickly.

Tomorrow, I plant English peas and Bush beans. I'm hoping there will be no more frost after the peas and beans sprout. I've also hauled topsoil and spread it over my filled area above my new ponds. I will smooth it all out and then seed in grass and fertilize for a quick growth. I'll probably have to set some sprinklers out to keep the area wet for 72 hours so the seed will germinate.

Today, I saw hundreds of Sandhill Cranes flying overhead with their distinctive call. I and many other people used to call them geese, but they are Sandhill Cranes and very beautiful in flight, especially when they circle low over our lake. Sometimes they spend the evening here too. They are a very special animal and surely mean Spring is on its way. I've already seen hummingbirds around too. Get your feeders ready!!!:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,685  
Just got back from a brush fire. We had 11 trucks from 3 VFDs and the Texas Forest Service sent a bulldozer over to cut a fire line. It was heavy brush but we manages to contain it to 20-30 acres. We were felling good about the containment when a bystander noticed a dead tree on fire 100 yards past our line. The wind was from the south today. We hope when the wind changes tomorrow, out of the north at 30mph, we don't see a repeat performance. I'm tired.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,686  
wow Txdon, you've had your round lately with fires...hate to think what summer may bring!

Most exhausted I have ever been was after fighting a grass fire. Rest up!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,687  
Normally I'm OK with cold weather but yesterday was odd. Had a hard time staying warm ith that cold light breeze blowing.

Had a great weekend. Friday went to the Alamo to see the original letter Col. Travis wrote from the Alamo.

Crowds flock to see Travis letter's debut at Alamo - San Antonio Express-News

If you haven't seen it yet you still have until March 6. It's really worth the effort.

Then Saturday we drove to Washington-on-the-Brazos for the Texas Independence Day festival and activities. There are some really dedicated and talented re-enactors who put on amazing demonstrations.
The Texas Army - The State of Texas Official 1836 Ceremonial and Reenactment Group

From the Shrine of Texas Liberty to the Birthplace of Texas Independence it was a really fantastic weekend.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,688  
Normally I'm OK with cold weather but yesterday was odd. Had a hard time staying warm ith that cold light breeze blowing.

I know what you mean. I turned the heater on Sat. evening and nothing happened. I thought those strong winds blew the pilot out. Tried to light it 3 times and it kept going out. Tank says 20 %. Banged on the guage. Still read 20 % Stove burners work fine. Gotta call the A/C- Heating buy later today.
hugs, Brandi

#1,689  
Dennis,
Okay, I'm confused now.:confused: The photo you posted shows a Kubota mini track loader.:thumbsup: A skid steer has 4 wheel and tires.;) Which did you use?:confused2:
hugs, Brandi

OK, technically its a track loader..I called it a "skid steer" as did the rental yard:laughing: Only looks almost identical to a skid steer with different shoes

#1,690  
Another warm day and windy, Hopefully Dons firefighting wont have to be re-played today.