Texas Fall/Winter thread!

#1,672  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
All roughed in, now to smooth it and start a garden!:thumbsup: A little windy today, but otherwise a beautiful day out.

0227131612_zps2b731f1a.jpg

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
As your picture shows, you are gonna tear up lots more dirt with a skid steer. The wide bucket would have been much more work if the surface soil had been dry and hard. My neighbor had 24" dia tree that I took down with my tractor in just 15 minutes work. Around the base of the tree, there were several big rocks. I popped the rocks out and cut some roots under the ball. Then I pushed about 8' up on the trunk and rocked it back and forth a bit. That big tree just slowly came over until its top was touching the ground. At that point, all I had to do was put my bucket under the root ball and curl. The root ball popped out and I pushed the tree to a location where my neighbor's son could cut it up with a chainsaw. The toothbar sure came in handy on the rocks and roots. Having a toothbar and plenty of breakout curl power on the bucket is very handy. Still, a wide bucket digs a lot more dirt than a 24" wide bucket on a TLB or excavator.

BTW: I've never used those Kubota skid steers, but both you and RDrancher have had very good luck with them.

All roughed in, now to smooth it and start a garden!:thumbsup: A little windy today, but otherwise a beautiful day out.

0227131612_zps2b731f1a.jpg

#1,674  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Jim,
Your right on the "damage" that can be done with the big bucket, they didn't have the smaller 3 toothed grubber, which would have been perfect!

If this was anything other than a garden spot that is going to be tilled, it may have been a major problem, but I wasn't even worried about "surface destruction" in this case:laughing: I wanted to remove as much root as possible so I wouldn't have to constantly deal with sink holes later. Theoretically I should have been able to dig under one side and push'm over.. BTW the skidsteer far outweighed the Excavator in pounds and hp, huge difference.

#1,675  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now

Bird

Epic Contributor
I haven't been out in a boat on Texoma since one trip in 1978 when I didn't catch a thing. But when I was in high school some buddies & I used to go up there, camp overnight on the islands and run a trotline for catfish. And the last time I did that was when I took my younger brothers up there to do that in 1962. We always put the boat in at Loe's Highport.

#1,677  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Islands are still there Bird! Don't know if they still allow camping, but during summer holidays, they are covered with people drinking, playing volley ball and..er going topless:shocked:

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Mini Track Loaders cost about twice what a mini excavator costs to rent. A big, big mess it makes. My 12 inch bucket makes about 75% less mess than my 24 inch bucket. What Dennis did could have been done with any dozer!
While Dennis was making a big mess, I was out making $91.66 an hour. I had to remove the thumb and the 24 inch bucket to use my 12 inch bucket. Nice, precise, and surgical.:D Dennis would have been up the creek if his stumps were next to a building like mine were Saturday. All the while I was digging next to the building, I was dreaming of my own 8 metric ton excavator with boom swing.:cool:
hugs, Brandi
3-1-13 Truck, Trailer, Tractor & Grapple.jpg

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
My family and my Dad's younger brother's family used to meet on Lake Texoma. We came home with a 39 pound catfish!
hugs, Brandi