Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,461  
Ron, that wasp nest just brings one thing to mind. Theres an old saying my Mom used on me to teach me how NOT to make plurals of some words. "Waspes build nestes, out westes, on postes as big as my fistes." That nest is definitely bigger than my "fistes," maybe even two times as big. Must be some of those imported "waspes" from west Texas.:laughing:

Jim,
Great pictures of you and family. Be sure to get all generations together for pictures.
I think I told you when we were discussing family ties that both my grandfathers and all great grandparents had already
passed when I was born so I missed a very important part of my development.

The outer hornets nest was more the size of a black angus bull's head and the combs the size of a human head.
The bald face hornet is a member of the Wasp, s, es, eses group but is very non aggressive if left alone,
but if one is in trouble a scent goes out that brings the others for a strong attack.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,462  
Well, for one thing, neither bindian nor I live there! :D

There ya go. :thumbsup:

Beauty, brains, charm, and a great cook all in one package.
Sounds like my wonderful wife of 49 years and counting.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,463  
Home is where the heart is.. Be it for a week or lifetime.. It's where you hang your hat and you are known and respected for your good deeds, wisdom and the love of your family and friends.. It would be nice to live where the sun shine all the time and it rains only when it is needed.. Weather doesn't make a home,, it's family and friends.. It can be far west Texas or downtown Dallas,, if you feel at home then you maybe.:2cents:. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,464  
A snapshot of this county:

Lee County population: Average - 26 people per square mile. In town of course more out here about 2.

Don, I think you left out one fact on Lee County:

No - All county roads paved

;) I just had to rub it in since my road just got paved.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,465  
Jim,
He is a cutie papootie. I love the Gobble Gobble Gobble shirt he has on.

Thanks, one of my daughter's favorite things to call people is "turkey butt." So, is there any doubt who bought that outfit for Noah? Look at what is on the seat of his britches. :laughing:

Gobble-13.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,466  
My aunt and uncle were born and raised in south Texas. After WWII, he got offered a job in Casper Wyoming. He worked and they raised their kids there for about 40 years. When he retired, he told my aunt they were moving back to Texas. She asked "Why?" He replied, "Because I'm not living the rest of my life cold, cooped up for 6 months of the year and having to dig my way out of my front door." They left behind a vast circle of friends, family, grandchildren, church, various organizations, and everything else.

That was back about 1984 or so. They are both still alive today. Frail, but living. I wonder if the warmth contributed to their health?

PS, It is fun to see you folks' grandkids knowing that they bring a bunch of sunshine to your lives. :)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,467  
There ya go. :thumbsup:

Beauty, brains, charm, and a great cook all in one package.
Sounds like my wonderful wife of 49 years and counting.:D

If you are smart, pacerron, you'll hang on to that one! :thumbsup:

It sounds like Lou and I will have a reason to drink a toast to help y'all celebrate 50! :drink:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,468  
Don, I think you left out one fact on Lee County:

No - All county roads paved

;) I just had to rub it in since my road just got paved.:D

Jim the county won that round. It's been a lot better since I traded in the Prius for an AWD Subaru. I don't have to worry about meeting another vehicle and have to back up for half a mile. I can actually get out of the established ruts.

Lou, I took your suggestion about the 5 ton electric log splitter and ordered one today from Harbor Freight. It was a new model without much info, not even a picture:
5 ton Log Splitter
But since the regular price is $349 I figure they would all be about the same. Besides it was on sale for $279 and with the 25% off coupon it dropped to $209 add taxes and freight it settled at about $237. I already have a stack of post oak logs to split and will review it hopefully next week. Thanks for the suggestion, I know my shoulder thanks you.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,470  
Thanks, one of my daughter's favorite things to call people is "turkey butt." So, is there any doubt who bought that outfit for Noah? Look at what is on the seat of his britches. :laughing:
Jim,
So do Turkey butts run in the family?
hugs, Brandi