Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,271  
A certain forum moderator fueled the political controversy as he has in other threads in the past. He is the only moderator i have ever observed who does so. Other members have mentioned his antics also. Most members have been very restrained regarding the inherent politics of this topic here in this thread.

If you think a post is political, report it. Usually there's one post that starts the political tone and then the replies are all taken out along with that. Normally I would remove them all but it looks like the thread is back on track.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#8,272  
Next few days are going to be super nice, 60's-low 70's, hopefully I can get into my bee hives and see what winter has left me to work with this year.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,273  
Next few days are going to be super nice, 60's-low 70's, hopefully I can get into my bee hives and see what winter has left me to work with this year.
Dennis,
How many hives do you have?
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,275  
Nice looking garden. I'm assuming deer are in the area?
Thanks,
The deer fence has been up several years. However, as the suburban development is surrounding me, I see fewer deer.....but there are still enough to leave the fence installed. It also prevents squirrels, rabbits and slows down the opossums and raccoons ..
Sometimes I trap those invaders and sometimes not...

Guess I better get those potato seed cut and seared. So much to do and so little time....i.e. working so slow nowadays

Cheers,
Mike

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,277  
Yep, Dennis, some nice weather. So yesterday I got the oil & filter changed in the car and got the annual safety inspection done
Aah yes, many, many years ago I had to help Dad cut down a tree, split it, find the queen and move those bees into a hive. Then Dad bought several more hives, so I got all the experience I ever wanted with bees and have no intention of ever trying to take the honey away from a bee again.

And yes, nice weather today . . . So . . . I mowed, edged, trimmed and bagged the clippings today for the first time of this year; 2 big contractor bags packed as full as I could get them. And one tired, worn out old man.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,278  
But............You will sleep good.(y)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#8,279  
Bird, you got more done than I did! lol I went thru 3 hives and will finish tomorrow.
When I was a kid, our family sold honey to stores in the Arkansas, Tenn, Okla and Missouri area. I didn't get to fool much with bees then, just had to work every day building frames, that's what us under 10 got to do, yeah! Older kids got to build the box's. I also had to put on jar labels, which really sucked when you knew the fish where biting.

A lot has changed in Beekeeping with all the introduced threats, so a steep learning curve, another reason I wish grandad was still here.

I'm not sure when I'll get to mow, looks like that last super freeze put the cork in my St Augustine, glad my yard is dinky now. Weeds looked to be doing great!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,280  
Bird, you got more done than I did! lol I went thru 3 hives and will finish tomorrow.
When I was a kid, our family sold honey to stores in the Arkansas, Tenn, Okla and Missouri area. I didn't get to fool much with bees then, just had to work every day building frames, that's what us under 10 got to do, yeah! Older kids got to build the box's. I also had to put on jar labels, which really sucked when you knew the fish where biting.

A lot has changed in Beekeeping with all the introduced threats, so a steep learning curve, another reason I wish grandad was still here.

I'm not sure when I'll get to mow, looks like that last super freeze put the cork in my St Augustine, glad my yard is dinky now. Weeds looked to be doing great!
I'm thinking of getting back in to bees. Had some many years ago, just as varroa mites were coming on to the scene. I tried to keep it to half a dozen. Used deep supers w/10 frames. Built the supers and frames, still have the jig for frames and extractor. Only i'm thinking of building some deep long hives and see how that goes. I've been trying to get up to speed on the new threats too.