Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,113  
We love kraut. That sounds tempting. So what do you put on first through last? The order of the ingredients, particularly any meats, does effect the final taste. That is why we put the sausage on top of everything but the cheese, which goes on later. The sausage, even though we fry it fine and put it on a paper towel before adding to the pizza imparts a great flavor down through the veggies. If we put it on top of the sauce or the pepperoni and add the other ingredients on top it has a significantly different flavor.

My wife is the chef .. She says use your favorite sausage for the meat ... Add the ingredients the way u do for any pizza .. The key is to be sure your kraut is very well drained or your crust will get soggy.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,114  
Never tried that. I like sauerkraut but usually only have it on chili dogs because my wife will not eat sauerkraut at all.

Many friends over the years have rolled their eyes and stated they don't do kraut .. Once we convince them to just try one little bite it's on !!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,115  
She says the longer the kraut drains the better ..

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,116  
Doggone it, y'all! Here I am trying to get in my morning workout, and get back onto a normal eating plan, and y'all are making me hungry! Only a few more days of holiday time, and I can see about getting rid of another 10 pounds! The good news is, I haven't gained, so far! Now, would y'all stop making it so hard?!?! :licking: :laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,117  
Anybody in the mood for a big bowl of bluebell with some Christmas cookies this morning?.:laughing:.Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,119  
I love sauerkraut and I love pizza, but I'm not sure about that mix of flavors. Olives, black and green, are favorites on pizza and they contain vinegar, but not to the level of kraut. I'm sure the kraut needs to be very dry for best results. I would sure try kraut pizza if somebody else made it, but I don't know if I'd ever make it myself. However, with some thin sliced German sausage and Muenster cheese instead of mozzarella might be a treat. Are there any German dishes that use a lot of tomatoes as Italian food does?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4,120  
She says the longer the kraut drains the better ..

We buy kraut in big glass jars. The canned stuff tastes like metal to me. I should know, as in my younger days they
said I could chew spikes and ..... ( you know) nails.:D

My wife always wrings the juice out by squeezing it with her hands. She has quite a grip. The old country way, no gloves.
Sure makes her rings shine purty' though.
Then pats it with a paper towel before putting it on Big Red Smokeys or making Ron's Reubens. Yeh, I know Jim, they aren't really
Reubens :) But they sure are good. Homemade bread, real baked ham sliced off a butt, and 2 slices of hot pepper cheese. ( Not pepper jack )
Homemade dill spears on the side. She got a little extra hot pepper in the batch we are eating now and they bite back.

We will definitely try some on the pizza next weekend. Might even try some on my warmed up piece from last night in a few days.
We warm it in the oven and it tastes like fresh made. Not so good in the microwave.