Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,391  
I got enough rain to wet my deck twice. It was the kind of rain that carwash owners love.:rolleyes:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,392  
.7" in the gauge overnight. It's getting very dark outside. About to take on another band of showers(?)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,393  
The Pool in now open - that ought to bring the rain.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,394  
The rain has stopped, the clouds have parted, and we have bright blue skies. This is not supposed to last long. More storms likely this afternoon and evening. The last cell dropped .10".

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,395  
So far, I haven't received any more, not a drop. Maybe the .10 I did get, will do the native vegetation some good.

Have our 3rd Bunting showing up now, real nice to watch birds that you wouldn't have thought lived out of the "tropics" :laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,396  
No extra rain here either, and the sun is shining. *sigh*

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,397  
Well, the rain dots have again connected on my deck and it looks like it is still increasing in intensity.:thumbsup: I was in the garden putting up a trellis net and decided I should call it quits before I got soaked. I've never used this netting before, but I saw it online and bought one 5' x 30' net for around $13.50. I think that is way overpriced and found the same netting on a roll of 365' from Memphis Net and Twine for less than 1/2 the price per running foot. I ordered a roll and plan to put it on both sides of my tomatoes starting bout 2' above the ground. The net I bought was 3-1/2' tall instead of 5', so it will fit nicely on 6' t-posts and my 6' bamboo while leaving a gap at the bottom to till and water without the hassle of cages. I'll use line between the nets where required for support across the row. Here's a photo of the trellis net on one row of sweet peas. I drove PVC pipe into the ground and just dropped in the bamboo poles. It worked great.:)

View attachment 317046

Jim,
Hope this works well for you. Are you planning on saving the netting for year to year use?

We tried a similar method one year and at tear down, clean up time, the branches were so entangled in the net, that after wasting a lot of time on the first row
trying to clean the stuff out of the net, we ended up just ripping it all up together and burning the whole mess.
That's why we went back to the simple twine method, as it is easy to cut at the end stakes and just pull through the branches and roll up. Any that is too entangled
just gets cut off and removed with the plants.
Ron

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,398  
We got hammered last night at Hobby Airport and there was street flooding around Houston. I came home after hearing Conroe (8 miles away) got 2.57 inches expecting a lot in my guage. .10 is all we got overnight. But it is doing a nice slow steady rain now. Weather dude says some of the scattered storms might do some training (sp). Which will suit me just fine.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,399  
We have another sign of Spring/Summer lately in my neighborhood. We've always had plenty of squirrels in the area, but the last couple of weeks, we've got very young, small squirrels running everywhere and a large number of them run over in the streets. I guess that's something they have in common with humans; the young ones haven't learned to watch out for cars.:laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,400  
I got one and quarter inches of rain today at the ranch/farm.. within one hour period,, I was in the back pasture mowing and decided to just set it out.. found a nice place to park and listen to the radio and drink a cool diet coke while eaten my lunch.. with the lighten and rain it was a nice show.. I was over long before the rain, wind and lighten,, drove back to the barn put things up and came home.. where the sun was shining.. make have got a quarter of a inches here at the house in Lake Jackson.. unbelievable ten miles between two places and the different of inch of rain.:confused3:. I will take it.. Lou