Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,411  
Just less than an inch overall in last couple of days, zero runoff. Still way under for the year.

Txdon, backhoe works, try to get as much root each time as you can. If you have a chisel plow you cache put shanks very close together and kinda grub up each plant/root system.
l

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,412  
Rain gauge showed 1.25 in Oglesby. No real run off. Coryell creek is not even running, ground just sucked it up. Sure hope May brings more rain, noticed hoppers are getting going again.

HS

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,413  
About .50 inch rain here over two days.:eek: Huntsville got over 5 inches!.:eek: The ground sucked it all up here. Everything is green:), but the ponds are not anywhere near full.:thumbdown:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,414  
My neighbor 6 miles to the north heard about my pool strategy and opened up his hot tub and got 5". There seems to be a pattern - the smaller the pool the more rain. How big is that pond Jim?:D

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,416  
Ji, if your "pools" are open, then I may have to get some "floaties" and come stand in line:D What ever works!!

I have had something clipping the leaves off my snap beans at night, I was thinking possibly cutworms?? Didn't want to use poisons, but went ahead and put a granule around them to stop the damage. Will try to get a photo today, does anyone have an idea what may be doing this? No chewing evident and the cut off leaves are laying there whole??

Don, 1.9" makes you the Central/N Texas winner:thumbsup: must be the good "livin":thumbsup: If we had got half of that, you'd have seen our hats flying clear from Houston:laughing:

Western; My bet would be cutworms. You can get something with Spinosad, as the active ingredient, and it is safe for critters and all, just not the "bugs". It is considered organic. It will even help keep fire ants at bay, so is another plus. I think green Light makes a RTU formula, that comes in a hose end sprayer, and there are also concentrates available, for using your own hose end sprayer. After losing a couple of plants to the cutworms last year, I began using it, and didn't even have to use it a second time, although I was ready for a second application.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,417  
My neighbor 6 miles to the north heard about my pool strategy and opened up his hot tub and got 5". There seems to be a pattern - the smaller the pool the more rain. How big is that pond Jim?:D
Don, I watched the radar and the storm did its best to "split" and avoid us here on airport hill. Thankfully it was too big to totally divide and we ended up with about 1.5" or so. All in about 30 minutes.

Just south about 15 miles they got almost 4". North of here got 5". So, here we are in the middle appreciative what we can get..

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,418  
Western; My bet would be cutworms. You can get something with Spinosad, as the active ingredient, and it is safe for critters and all, just not the "bugs". It is considered organic. It will even help keep fire ants at bay, so is another plus. I think green Light makes a RTU formula, that comes in a hose end sprayer, and there are also concentrates available, for using your own hose end sprayer. After losing a couple of plants to the cutworms last year, I began using it, and didn't even have to use it a second time, although I was ready for a second application.

I was thinking cutworms too, but since the ones I have dealt with in the past seemed to "cut" the whole plant off at the base, I 'm not real sure on this one. I physically checked each pant yesterday for signs of any bug, white flies ,thrips ect rta, didn't find anything but ladybugs:thumbsup: The leaves are cut off where the stem attaches to the leaf?? I will look for Spinosad Thanks!!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,419  
I've seen several grasshoppers in my garden and my bean leaves had holes in them until I sprayed with Sevin. This morning while watering, I saw two squash bugs and two cucumber beetles. I gave them the firm 2-finger handshake and sent them off to bug heaven. I've worked too hard to let bugs chomp on my stuff.:mad: On the bright side, my blackeyes are popping out of the ground like gangbusters. I'm gonna have an excellent stand this time around and I'm hoping hail doesn't strike twice in the same spot. I don't believe I have anymore freezing weather to worry about. I'll plant okra and my wife's herbs this next week. Her herb garden started in two flats is ready to be set out. I already have a great stand of sweet basil where I scattered seeds a few weeks ago. I'll have plenty of fresh basil to go along with my tomatoes.:licking:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,420  
About 2 minutes after dropping off a rental car at Austin airport on Friday afternoon the sky turned really dark and I could see some strange cloud formations. By the time I got to 35 and go up on the flyover it was pouring buckets and visibility was nil. One never knows what high winds can do and it was not comfortable inching up that flyover. And I literally mean inching.

Thankfully most people had better sense than to get on the flyover so there was very minimal traffic behind me, as far as I could see any way. My apologies if you happened to be behind me but you didn't need to be driving fast at that time anyway.