The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #11  
I also hope things are changing as I too would like to see diesel options available. I really liked those pictures, do they do tours at the plant?
Yes. Your not allowed to take photos inside. They offer tours at all the GM assembly plants also. Sure Ford does the same. The best way to explain the modern assembly process is "organized chaos". Fork trucks delivering parts to the line. Trucks backing into bays in perfect order to deliver large parts on feeder lines (seats for instance) and meet to the correct vehicle every time. "Marriage" is where the finished body out of trim dept. meet the finished frame assembly out of chassis. The right body meets up every time. I love the environment and love the look on peoples faces to see it all come together on the tours. I was installing a factory DVD screen on an Escalade while living in TX. We had a new ergo-seat that slid in the side of the body that was a life saver on your knees and back. It did look cool. I let a bright eyed young man around 4 or 5 ride in the chair with me so he could see me plug the screen in and secure it while his dad watched. Made their day. It's an amazing to see the start to finish process. This is marriage at the JK plant. This photo was taken from local media that had permission. image-358600146.jpg

Last edited:
   / The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #12  
A wrangler with the V6 diesel and a six speed...where do I sign? Seriously though it would be a very functional vehicle that I would think very hard about. The diesel grand Cherokees are getting very good mileage, it would be nice to have a lift, tires, heavy bumpers, etc and still be getting decent mileage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 8 speed transmission coupled to the diesel. We should hopefully find out something "official" soon with the Detroit Auto Show happening this month! Keep your fingers crossed. :D

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #13  
I wouldn't be surprised to see the new 8 speed transmission coupled to the diesel. We should hopefully find out something "official" soon with the Detroit Auto Show happening this month! Keep your fingers crossed. :D

The JK community was teased with the rumor of a diesel option when an engine change was made in 2012. They swapped the only engine option (3.8L V-6) for the Pentastar 3.6L V-6 which did give the JK a much needed 90 more HP. This is the only power plant option available to the U.S. In the Wrangler. Now the strongest rumor is a diesel will be offered in 15.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #14  
The EPA regulations here in the states makes about as much sense as taking a bucket of sand to the beach. I have quite a few Aussie friends on my Jeep forums. They have all the cool small diesel trucks and SUV's. They all have the diesel option in their Wranglers. It ticks me off to no end that they are built in Toledo, Ohio of Willys Parkway and none of us can get one. Hopefully things are changing. The Grand Cherokee can be bought here with a diesel. GM has the diesel Cruze on the market now. They announced to us here at the plant in Wentzville, MO that the new Colorado/Canyon will have the diesel option offered to us in the states next year. Went to the Wrangler plant a couple of years back. A lot of history at that facility. It was camouflaged from the air back in WWII in case of an air strike like Pearl Harbor. Took a few pics while there.
Jeepwillyssign.jpg
Jeepplantfront2.jpg
jeeplotwliberty.jpg

How is it any advantage to pay 20% more for diesel fuel to save 20% mpg ? Then add the cost of the diesel option, extra diesel service costs and extra diesel repairs as the vehicle ages. Sorry it's not 1985 any more.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #15  
It was very frustrating when I traveled to Costa Rica last year, there were so many diesel 4x4 little trucks with manual transmissions. And mini vans to boot, like a twelve passenger diesel cab over 4x4 Toyota van with a six speed. The worst part was that they weren't all Toyotas and Hyundais etc, lots of fords and Chevys too. How come there's no diesel ranger with four doors and a long bed here?:confused:

Go to Haiti or Costa Rica etc with cash in hand. Purchase the non emissions diesel of your choice and ship it home. Swap the serial number plate from a new wreck in the US.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #16  
How is it any advantage to pay 20% more for diesel fuel to save 20% mpg ? Then add the cost of the diesel option, extra diesel service costs and extra diesel repairs as the vehicle ages. Sorry it's not 1985 any more.
Other Than MPG's, the main advantage is the low end torque the diesel makes. Gives us off-roader's a huge advantage over the V-6 gasser. My current JK has the 3.8L V-6 that produces only 202HP and 237lb-ft of torque. My MPG average is less than 14 running a lift and 35in tires w 4:10 gear ratio. The 2.8 I4 diesel (export only) produces 160HP and 295lb-ft of torque at a much lower RPM. I think 20 MPG would be a safe bet running my same set up w the diesel.

Attachments

• image-4181345970.jpg
    image-4181345970.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-4125032539.jpg
    image-4125032539.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 82
   / The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #17  
Other Than MPG's, the main advantage is the low end torque the diesel makes. Gives us off-roader's a huge advantage over the V-6 gasser. My current JK has the 3.8L V-6 that produces only 202HP and 237lb-ft of torque. My MPG average is less than 14 running a lift and 35in tires w 4:10 gear ratio. The 2.8 I4 diesel (export only) produces 160HP and 295lb-ft of torque at a much lower RPM. I think 20 MPG would be a safe bet running my same set up w the diesel.

I would gear down with the gasser and carry on and apply the same torque to the drive wheels.
The mileage is no advantage given the extra price of fuel and service to a post 2011 EPA diesel. Sure if was like the old days of the late 19980's here when we had carburators, much cheaper diesel fuel and simple diesel engines, then sure. It's 2014 and the vehicle hating pricks in the EPA are busy legislating trying to find ways to outlaw diesels on CO2 . When engine manufactures managed to meet emissions specs the EPA had thought impossible. Now you have to service a 30,000psi common rail injection system. A variable waste gate on the turbo. A cat convertor. A particulate filter. An urea injection system. Replace two batteries and two alternators on some vehicles. Glow plugs. Gelling fuel in the winter time. There was a time when the diesel ruled but no more. A DI gasser is the simple reliable engine now that goes 300,000 miles with just plugs, belts and filters.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #18  
I would gear down with the gasser and carry on and apply the same torque to the drive wheels. The mileage is no advantage given the extra price of fuel and service to a post 2011 EPA diesel. Sure if was like the old days of the late 19980's here when we had carburators, much cheaper diesel fuel and simple diesel engines, then sure. It's 2014 and the vehicle hating pricks in the EPA are busy legislating trying to find ways to outlaw diesels on CO2 . When engine manufactures managed to meet emissions specs the EPA had thought impossible. Now you have to service a 30,000psi common rail injection system. A variable waste gate on the turbo. A cat convertor. A particulate filter. An urea injection system. Replace two batteries and two alternators on some vehicles. Glow plugs. Gelling fuel in the winter time. There was a time when the diesel ruled but no more. A DI gasser is the simple reliable engine now that goes 300,000 miles with just plugs, belts and filters.
Don't think we need to go all the way back to the 80's and carburetors to remember diesels being a better choice. I had an 02 7.3L PS diesel. Great engine that was. My 06 LLY in my Medium Duty 4500 was a problem free machine also. Sure. The EPA regulations since 07 have gotten ridiculous. The DEF fluid requirement was the largest turning point in the wrong direction IMO. I don't agree w the new EPA standards at all. Glad that the manufactures can find ways to still boast the large torque numbers and meet all the stupid requirements that are forced on em.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #19  

Your right....diesels have come a long ways since then!

There is more to life than the cost of fuel and mpg. I don't think 10k mile service intervals really classify as "extra service costs".

A diesel jeep wouldn't be a "Better" jeep, it would be a "better" jeep for some. Including myself.

/ The 2010 Jeep diesel pickup they didn't make #20  
I would gear down with the gasser and carry on and apply the same torque to the drive wheels.

....and kill your top end cruising at the same time...why not the best of both worlds? Not to mention the advantages of towing.