The duh moment

/ The duh moment #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
Am I the only one who does this?

I have owned my baler (NH 316) for two seasons now. I have never been able to get grease into 3 of the zirks on each knotter. So a week ago I took the time to take (forgive my lack of using the correct name) the arm off that holds the twine knife. It has two of the zirks that needed fixing. I was careful to make sure I only did one side at a time so I could make sure it all got back the way it should be. I got it all back together and greased both sides. (4 zirks)
Last night a neighbor wanted me to bale a very small field. I thought, good, I can make sure it all works. Well, everything was fine until it was time to tie the knot and cut the twine. It just kept cutting the twine right off. I messed with it for about 45 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally I got right on top of the knotter looking straight down. This is the duh moment. I forgot to hook the spring back up that pulls the knotters forward. Hooked it back up and never missed another bale.
I'm really glad the spring didn't come loose and fall off in the field, I would have never figured it out.

/ The duh moment #2  
Experiences and stories like that are why I take a phone photo of anything complicated before I take it apart.

Somebody's Law: If anything can be put together wrong, it will be.

Bruce

/ The duh moment
Experiences and stories like that are why I take a phone photo of anything complicated before I take it apart.

Somebody's Law: If anything can be put together wrong, it will be.

Bruce

I need to start doing that.

I do have a great memory, it just doesn't last very long.:laughing:

/ The duh moment #4  

Memory? What memory?
A buddy of mine recently told me that he, "Can't remember if I've lost my horse or just found a rope." :D

/ The duh moment #5  
As I have gotten older I have started to do more and more of the take a "phone photo" or two trick myself when working on anything. That is, when I can remember to do it.:eek:

/ The duh moment #6  

I had a photographic memory when I was younger. I could look up the pages of a textbook in my mind during a test and consequently got almost straight A's.
However in my 20's I started to run out of the chemicals to process the film. Now it's all digital. Just like TBN. All the info is in there but the search function is broke :(

/ The duh moment #7  
That's not a "duh" moment at all. I used to be sharp as a tack and have done far worse.

Where do I begin? Forgot the kid at Brownies, showed up at the wrong school, wore two different shoes, glued my fingers together or put the tractor tires on backwards. And that's just the stuff I can remember at the moment.

/ The duh moment #9  
Take hay rolls into feed and forget to close gate. Cows always want different pasture. Doesn't have to be greener.
This is the beginning of a great thread.
Thumbs up

/ The duh moment #10  
Got time for a longer story?
I work out on the road and usually long hours. Leaving the RV early and back late.
We had been pulling 12-14 hrs everyday for about 3 weeks and everyone was wore out. I finally told the guys to take an early day one Sunday (8 hr day).
Drove back to RV, about 4pm. Pulled off boots, opened a beer and promptly fell asleep.
Woke up from a hard sleep, looked at my old beat up watch and it said 6:00. Work starts at 7:00 am on my jobs. I tore through the morning routine, blowed off coffee and breakfast and hit the road. Stopping at McDonald's, I asked for the Big Breakfast. The young girl looked at me like a nut and said it was too late for breakfast. My watch said 6:40. So cheeseburgers for breakfast.
I headed on down the road, turned left in the final road to the job site and noticed the sun coming up from the West instead of the east.
And then it hit me.
I didn't sleep all night. I had slept about two hours and thought is was morning and I was late!