The Fourth Phase of Water

/ The Fourth Phase of Water #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Thought I would post this for all you science/engineering students out there; very interesting...and if it strikes your fancy, there is a Ted Talk video and an even longer, like an hour and a half video, which I intend to watch when I get the opportunity.

/ The Fourth Phase of Water #2  
Interesting and even more interesting if it can be made into a product instead of just a lab curiosity. Another thing that always fascinated me was triple point, where water exists in all 3 states and you can watch the ice form at the same time the water is boiling.
Triple Point of Water - YouTube

/ The Fourth Phase of Water
That is fascinating.

I think there is some conjecture that the 4th phase of water has some critical functions in the human body and may have some application in pain management...acupuncture maybe?

/ The Fourth Phase of Water #4  
The video is a little vague when it comes to qualifying the "4th phase"....when listing it with the typical states of matter...
The fourth STATE of matter is plasma (super-heated from steam)...there can be phase transitions but these can change the molecular structure and then it is not really h2O any more...

The video is a little vague when it comes to qualifying the "4th phase"....when listing it with the typical states of matter...
The fourth STATE of matter is plasma (super-heated from steam)...there can be phase transitions but these can change the molecular structure and then it is not really h2O any more...

Yeah, I haven't really assimilated what the video is telling me; guess I will watch the Ted Talk video and see what gives there. The 4th "Phase" at first blush seems to almost comprise a chemical change; whereas solid...liquid...vapor are all the same compound, just different physical manifestations of the same molecule.

/ The Fourth Phase of Water #6  
Something I do see coming is more and more discoveries derived from very common elements and not just the new cutting edge rare Earth elements...

Some of the stuff they are doing with carbon on several fronts is nothing short of amazing...graphine is one of many examples...

Something I do see coming is more and more discoveries derived from very common elements and not just the new cutting edge rare Earth elements...

Some of the stuff they are doing with carbon on several fronts is nothing short of amazing...graphine is one of many examples...

I recall from my days as an X-Ray Spectrographer that there are three "alotropes" of Carbon...amorphous, graphite and diamond.