The gated community issue.

/ The gated community issue. #91  
You would be amazed at how some people respond to common courtesy. God forbid there is a misunderstanding. The LAST thing I would ever do is approach someone with a gun in my hand in plain sight (your just escalating the situation, not to mention it's a good way to get shot yourself).
But walking into an unknown situation in full view is not?

"I don't know who that is parked in my drive at 2am with their lights off, but I'm gonna just walk down the drive in full view so when they turn their lights on I'll be blinded, out in the open, and a super easy target.."

Seriously?

33OCf3a.jpg

They were parked about halfway up that curve. I walked down my *front yard* on the other side of those pines and came up from the rear. No, I didn't have a holster as it was 2am, and yes I used the pistol to tap the glass. No I didn't point it at them, nor scream, holler or threaten. Merely asked what they were doing, and if they didn't require help of some kind, that it was time to leave as this was a private drive.

Seriously though, some things other people come up with in their own heads to embellish a story is amazing, but fine, whatever.

Having someone go all childish and act like a school yard bully thinking he's cool, like 'ol jaxs there, is unexceptionable.

Idiots just being idiots.

/ The gated community issue. #92  
I have trespassers from time to time,

Generally a flashlight, a hello, and its private property, is generally all that is needed.

I have never felt the need to start the conversation with tapping my gun on a window. Could you imagine if police started with that at a traffic stop?

all that does is escalate a situation, and give the people in the car an advantage, they now know you have a gun, you don't know anything about them, and you have made an uncomfortable situation worse.

If your that uncomfortable, then i would suggest lights or a gate. people are generally doing drugs or having sex. I think to many people watch too much tv anymore. most people are not that interesting.

Also sad people live in fear so much, my doors are open, keys in vehicles. Its one of the last things i worry about, and Im not that rural

Last edited:
   / The gated community issue. #93  
i also dont worry too much about people coming on my property, because ive been here since 1996 and have never had much issues. were pretty secluded. and theres alot of other properties before they ever get to mine. and lots of barking doge.

/ The gated community issue. #94  
Well, I have to ask, why this turned into a "Shoot all the Trespassers," theme.
I was asking a more nuanced question: Do gates work for non-Home owner Covenant and Condition Communities. And then the anwser is, We All Have Guns? Thats not an answer.

At one time I considered a gate to my small piece of the planet. My issue 23 years ago was people cutting through my property (old dairy farm) on a gravel drive. Sometimes it was neighbors, other times grain trucks, rarely the midnight lovers type.

I ended up deciding that a gate would work for these offenders, but would be next to useless in stopping nefarious activity (that was not an issue anyway). I was able to intercept the neighbors, tractor trailer drivers, and tractors over the course of a year or two and all were receptive to a polite chat.

/ The gated community issue. #95  
Some areas Not too good around Hopkins.
When my wife’s father was in Hopkins, wife stayed right where I83 ends downtown. It was OK. Glen Bernie is generally ok, although someone tried to bust an ATM machine out of a store there last night.
I work close to glen burnie, beside BWI. maybe we can meet up after work. The original Mission BBQ is in glen burnie.
Once I get settled in I'll reach out. I'm pretty comfortable with Glen Burnie, we worked in the Arundel Mills Mall a bunch. Now over in Oxen Hill is another story... Thanks

/ The gated community issue. #96  
But walking into an unknown situation in full view is not?

"I don't know who that is parked in my drive at 2am with their lights off, but I'm gonna just walk down the drive in full view so when they turn their lights on I'll be blinded, out in the open, and a super easy target.."

Seriously?
Before I go to bed, I take all the dogs out with me. I generally get up at 0500 every morning, 7 days a week, and at my age, I generally can't make it past 10PM, let alone 2AM. I've been here about 16 years, and it's pretty apparent that my drive is a private driveway to a house. Funny, never had someone parked in my driveway that I didn't know who it was.

That said, if there were a strange vehicle at some odd hour at night or wee hours in the morning in my driveway, I'd probably just call the sheriffs office and have them send someone out to investigate it. I'm safe in my house, if anyone comes snooping around, I'm certain the dogs would let me know, and I'm not worried about being "out gunned".

I had a neighbor call the sheriffs out a couple of years ago late at night. Made it in 15 minutes. County sheriff way more responsive than state police.

/ The gated community issue. #97  
You would be amazed at how some people respond to common courtesy. God forbid there is a misunderstanding. The LAST thing I would ever do is approach someone with a gun in my hand in plain sight (your just escalating the situation, not to mention it's a good way to get shot yourself).
Having someone go all childish and act like a school yard bully thinking he's cool, like 'ol jaxs there, is unexceptionable.

Idiots just being idiots.
Clearly what you think is childish,acting like a school yard bully and thinking themselves cool is 180* from my discription.
I'm not tough,have never tried making people think I was but have been fortunate in associating with a few of the toughest on earth as they made their way from boys to men. If I didn't learn anything else,I recconize the difference in men that can handle life and those who alow life to handle them.
What we say here doesn't change how or what we actually are. On the other hand what we say is how people precieve us so talk on and knock yourself out.