The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #71  
I can tell by the picture looking up at the house how steep it is. I’m guessing you don’t cut that after a rain.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #72  
A few more pictures of today's 10 acre mowing job, landowner was very happy.
20230602_075546.jpg
20230602_075557.jpg
20230602_102115.jpg
20230602_102121.jpg
20230602_141803.jpg
20230602_141829.jpg
20230602_141822.jpg

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #73  
Thanks! I will keep coming back and posting new updates.
Probably best to keep it like that. I agree that tractor work can be like therapy. You get to operate machinery in some pretty nice scenery.
However, when it becomes a paying job, with customers to deal with, deadlines, invoice collection, fuel and repair bills, it loses the therapeutic feeling and becomes more stressful.

I still like what I do, but the hay farming part is really tough. My guess is when I’m on my way out-probably to be replaced by someone from a different country or some kind of computerized robot, I will drop the hay farming part and only offer field mowing services. That might be a kind of nice way to enjoy it again.
Isn't it weird to know you are the last of something? I am not all doom and gloom on the future, but, it sure seems like the younger folks will have less choices on how to make a living than we did.

Best,

ed

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #75  
That looks sweet. Something I wish I had was a flail mower, I've got a bunch of woods back of my place just screaming for a mowing LOL

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #76  
Isn't it weird to know you are the last of something?

There are not enough people like @Hay Dude to go around. Here's what's happening around here:

Older farmers are retiring, and they've been haying 10, 20, or 30 acre parcels for neighbors. Once they retire, we find there is no one, and I mean NO ONE to take their place. You just cannot find a person to come and bale small acreages.

End of an era.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
There are not enough people like @Hay Dude to go around. Here's what's happening around here:

Older farmers are retiring, and they've been haying 10, 20, or 30 acre parcels for neighbors. Once they retire, we find there is no one, and I mean NO ONE to take their place. You just cannot find a person to come and bale small acreages.

End of an era.
Well thank you.
I always kid around with my customers that once I’m gone, there won’t be anyone to replace me, unless it’s “artificial intelligence”. :ROFLMAO:
It IS the end of an era.

Between the incessant negativity towards farmers, the long hours, the high input costs and the low pay, it’s just not an attractive way to make a living anymore.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #80  
I used to drive for a hay and silage contractor. Lifestylers were a major pita. They don't understand basic math. A 10' tractor does NOT fit a 9'6" gate. (unwritten lifstyler law:all gates will be 10ft)
If there are only proffesional farmer SIZED contractors MAKE SURE your gates fit the machinery(12" - 16')
The smaller the paddock, the less economic it is. Often it is just break even. The money is made on the professional farmers.

Then you have late payers, and beauraucrats demanding to spend your money on thier hobby horses.
Hay Dude is right, about therapy changing to high stress.