The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #71  
I also get tired of hearing how expensive the green paint is.
Well, there is the case of the $100 green quoted bearing that I can replace with Timken from Amazon for $10.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #72  
Wow, it takes me at least 30-45 minutes to change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. I need to step up my game!
Its that annual 2 shots of grease that slows down the FEL lubing procedure.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #73  
Well, there is the case of the $100 green quoted bearing that I can replace with Timken from Amazon for $10.
That's actually common. When working on my junk farm equipment, I remove the bearing and try to get a number. Then go to O'Reilly's and buy a Timken, etc., replacement for much less than the manufacturer's dealer store.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #74  
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"
You are incredibly talented if you can change the fluids in your tractor faster than you can grease the FEL..... :)
Well, I thought it obvious that I was exaggerating for effect, but it's honestly not much of an exaggeration.

The new pins with recessed zerks they use on all their loaders these days are a major PITA, and about the only part of yearly maintenance I really hate. I still don't have a good system cleaning them out prior to greasing, and think the setup on my old 1986 model 52 loader was actually better than the new 320R, in this one regard. I know it's off-topic, but if someone has a good tool or system for cleaning those stupid fittings, please let us know!

Oil change? I've never specifically timed it, but I can't imagine it takes me much more than 20 minutes per machine. The key for me is to do all of my machines, even on-road vehicles, in the same session, while I already have the tools, pans, and waste jugs out. One setup, one cleanup, for three vehicles, two tractors, one zero turn, and a have dozen walk-behind OPE's. I will admit that if I was doing only one machine, the setup and cleanup would add a lot of time.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #76  
The Kubota model you list is a grand L, a premium model. A better comparison in that category would be a L4701 with those features. Or maybe a MX.
Check out the standard features in the models and the shear size and capacity of the tractors. The only way the Kubota gets close is their Grand L. I'm talking about extendable link arms, and pin adjustable rather than turnbuckles. It also has the lever to adjust the 3pt up and down right there in the back. It is 20% heavier than the 4701. The only areas where the 4701 is superior to the T494 is ground clearance and hydraulic flow. The 4701 just under $40k will their 'discounts'. So the Orange paint tax is about $10K and for my purposes, I would have a less comfortable, harder to operate machine with significantly less ability to lift timber and such. The T494 has 10+ inches of FEL max height on the 4701 and can lift 1000 lbs more to that height. Even if you take into account some marketing hype, the TYM, if it only lifts to the lower height that is the Kubota's max, will lift even more. In my view, if the TYM can only do 75% of what they claim, it is still capable of lifting 400 lbs more to a higher height. The 3pt capacity is 1500 lbs more, even if inflated, it has at least 500 lbs more capacity. While many people may not approach capacity on their machines, I am much happier knowing I am well within the comfort zone and not putting as much long term wear on my tractor because I fell for the marketing of the more expensive brand.

My real risk is like Hay Dude says. TYM has been in the US market on their own for less time (even though they have been building tractors for a long time). The dealerships I have to choose from are an hour or so away from me. Kubota and Deere have the closest ones (less than 20 miles each). When I went to those dealerships (multiple times) I walked away thinking they had no interest in my business. It was almost like they assumed I would buy from them and they were doing me a favor. Deere didn't even bother to talk to me. My take on TYM is that they have invested heavily and have decided they are in it for the long haul. They purchased Kukje and with that, Branson. They are building a new facility in Georgia and I am willing to take that risk. The dealers would worry me more, but there are 3 and one is very big. At all 3 of those dealers, I was treated well every time.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #77  
The OP makes a good point.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #78  
You might do fine with a TYM or Mahindra. Neighbor just dropped 50k on a 50hp Yanmar cab tractor with all the options. While I spent 30k on the same size MX Kubota with 175 hours and open station. I feel like I bought the FORD pickup truck of utility tractors.
There are 2 dealerships within 25 miles. I was treated well at both dealers when I was shopping. These dealers have been in the same locations for 50 yrs. If you have to pay a little extra for that well, it will probably save you money in the long run. And resale is higher with green and orange tractors. Because those tractors have proven themselves to be a good value.
I've said this before. Make your choice and live with it. You are probably not going to get a lemon. Manufacturing technology has advanced to the point that all of the major brands produce good metal. My worry if any would be in terms of electronics. I have read more than one LS eletronic nightmare story. TYM was my second choice Mahindra was right there too but the dealerships were few and far between. Of course you can order parts online and find support on forums. GL whichever you choose.

Last edited:
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #79  
Its no secret that kubota and deere charge a premium. They have a solid reputation and well known brand. But isnt that the same for literally EVERYTHING. But thats the beauty of this economy.....there are multiple choices, multiple price points, and at multiple different levels of quality. So many options that literally everyone can find something that suits them.

People pay 2x or 3x as much to buy a hooded sweatshirt with the nike or UA logo on in vs a jersey brand from walmart.
People 2x as much for a coat with the carhartt logo as opposed to walls from TSC.
People pay 2x as much for snap-on or mac vs kobalt or craftsman

Premium brands always charge a premium. Tractors are no different.

With regards to parts: Nuts, bolts, bearings, belts, etc.....ALWAYS more expensive at the dealer. That aint a deere/kubota thing. Look up a common bearing for a kioti or branson or TYM at a dealer. Cross it to a timken and shop amazon or napa, etc. You will find the same inflated prices.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #80  
Check out the standard features in the models and the shear size and capacity of the tractors. The only way the Kubota gets close is their Grand L. I'm talking about extendable link arms, and pin adjustable rather than turnbuckles. It also has the lever to adjust the 3pt up and down right there in the back. It is 20% heavier than the 4701. The only areas where the 4701 is superior to the T494 is ground clearance and hydraulic flow. The 4701 just under $40k will their 'discounts'. So the Orange paint tax is about $10K and for my purposes, I would have a less comfortable, harder to operate machine with significantly less ability to lift timber and such. The T494 has 10+ inches of FEL max height on the 4701 and can lift 1000 lbs more to that height. Even if you take into account some marketing hype, the TYM, if it only lifts to the lower height that is the Kubota's max, will lift even more. In my view, if the TYM can only do 75% of what they claim, it is still capable of lifting 400 lbs more to a higher height. The 3pt capacity is 1500 lbs more, even if inflated, it has at least 500 lbs more capacity. While many people may not approach capacity on their machines, I am much happier knowing I am well within the comfort zone and not putting as much long term wear on my tractor because I fell for the marketing of the more expensive brand.

My real risk is like Hay Dude says. TYM has been in the US market on their own for less time (even though they have been building tractors for a long time). The dealerships I have to choose from are an hour or so away from me. Kubota and Deere have the closest ones (less than 20 miles each). When I went to those dealerships (multiple times) I walked away thinking they had no interest in my business. It was almost like they assumed I would buy from them and they were doing me a favor. Deere didn't even bother to talk to me. My take on TYM is that they have invested heavily and have decided they are in it for the long haul. They purchased Kukje and with that, Branson. They are building a new facility in Georgia and I am willing to take that risk. The dealers would worry me more, but there are 3 and one is very big. At all 3 of those dealers, I was treated well every time.

Sounds like you did a lot of sensible, non-brand loyal research. That’s the BEST thing to do. For that kind of savings, you could buy your TYM and a garage full of attachments and be money ahead.
Downside: We had a small, start up dealer try Mahindra and then tried TYM and he went under. If you decide TYM, maybe try a legacy big dealer that decided to pick up the TYM line so least the dealer will remain if TYM doesn’t make it. Have read more than my fair share of disgruntled TNB’ers complaints that their brand went under and parts are gettin tough.
Now when are you going to buy something? :)