The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #81  
Well, I thought it obvious that I was exaggerating for effect, but it's honestly not much of an exaggeration.

The new pins with recessed zerks they use on all their loaders these days are a major PITA, and about the only part of yearly maintenance I really hate. I still don't have a good system cleaning them out prior to greasing, and think the setup on my old 1986 model 52 loader was actually better than the new 320R, in this one regard. I know it's off-topic, but if someone has a good tool or system for cleaning those stupid fittings, please let us know!

Oil change? I've never specifically timed it, but I can't imagine it takes me much more than 20 minutes per machine. The key for me is to do all of my machines, even on-road vehicles, in the same session, while I already have the tools, pans, and waste jugs out. One setup, one cleanup, for three vehicles, two tractors, one zero turn, and a have dozen walk-behind OPE's. I will admit that if I was doing only one machine, the setup and cleanup would add a lot of time.
A small screwdriver or a pick will clean out the zerk cavities.

I've never timed myself but can't imagine it takes more than 2 minutes to grease my FEL.

How do you get all your engines to be ready for an oil change at the same time?

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #82  
Sounds like you did a lot of sensible, non-brand loyal research. That’s the BEST thing to do. For that kind of savings, you could buy your TYM and a garage full of attachments and be money ahead.
Downside: We had a small, start up dealer try Mahindra and then tried TYM and he went under. If you decide TYM, maybe try a legacy big dealer that decided to pick up the TYM line so least the dealer will remain if TYM doesn’t make it. Have read more than my fair share of disgruntled TNB’ers complaints that their brand went under and parts are gettin tough.
Now when are you going to buy something? :)
Sometime you get lucky.

I have an old import mahindra. It's a direct clone of an international so I just buy international parts and use the international manual

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #83  
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #84  
Its that annual 2 shots of grease that slows down the FEL lubing procedure.
On both my Kubota's, the manual as well as the sticker on the FEL post clearly states to grease the loader every 10 hours, heck, I grease the entire tractor at least every 10 hours and usually much less than that. Dry pins cause excessive friction and adversely impacts the loader operation. Besides, grease is cheap.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #85  
Check out the standard features in the models and the shear size and capacity of the tractors. The only way the Kubota gets close is their Grand L. I'm talking about extendable link arms, and pin adjustable rather than turnbuckles. It also has the lever to adjust the 3pt up and down right there in the back. It is 20% heavier than the 4701. The only areas where the 4701 is superior to the T494 is ground clearance and hydraulic flow. The 4701 just under $40k will their 'discounts'. So the Orange paint tax is about $10K and for my purposes, I would have a less comfortable, harder to operate machine with significantly less ability to lift timber and such. The T494 has 10+ inches of FEL max height on the 4701 and can lift 1000 lbs more to that height. Even if you take into account some marketing hype, the TYM, if it only lifts to the lower height that is the Kubota's max, will lift even more. In my view, if the TYM can only do 75% of what they claim, it is still capable of lifting 400 lbs more to a higher height. The 3pt capacity is 1500 lbs more, even if inflated, it has at least 500 lbs more capacity. While many people may not approach capacity on their machines, I am much happier knowing I am well within the comfort zone and not putting as much long term wear on my tractor because I fell for the marketing of the more expensive brand.

My real risk is like Hay Dude says. TYM has been in the US market on their own for less time (even though they have been building tractors for a long time). The dealerships I have to choose from are an hour or so away from me. Kubota and Deere have the closest ones (less than 20 miles each). When I went to those dealerships (multiple times) I walked away thinking they had no interest in my business. It was almost like they assumed I would buy from them and they were doing me a favor. Deere didn't even bother to talk to me. My take on TYM is that they have invested heavily and have decided they are in it for the long haul. They purchased Kukje and with that, Branson. They are building a new facility in Georgia and I am willing to take that risk. The dealers would worry me more, but there are 3 and one is very big. At all 3 of those dealers, I was treated well every time.
If the L4701 is almost $40k, I bought a MX6000 exactly a year ago for $38k, and it has telescoping lift arms and links and several other better features, not to mention a stronger loader and better stability. That would be a far better option than the L4701 if they are priced the same. Dealer facilities and services are a big consideration in buying.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #86  
OK, so here is a head to head example. The JD 4044M vs the Kubota L4760 vs the TYM T494. All equipped with HST, loader, 2 rear remotes, 3rd function valve, R4 tires, cruise, suspension seat, draw bar, telescopic link ends and sway bars.

JD = $48885. Kubota= $50976. TYM=$30300

It is one thing to pay a premium, it is quite another to pay upwards of 50% more.

I had to look up TYM as apart from a rare mention on this forum, I had never heard of them. I had never seen one for sale in this region on any dealer lot, any of the big equipment classified websites, or even at farm sales or consigment sales. The company has only been selling tractors in the U.S. for about 20 years and there are only seven dealers in my entire state. The nearest of them is a tiny dealer an hour and a half away. That does not inspire confidence that the manufacturer will continue to stick around in the U.S. so that if in 10 years if you need a part, you can get it.

Here's an example. A previous neighbor of mine bought a new Montana tractor in the mid-2000s and and said how he got a great deal on it. Montana was made by a division of LG. They sold poorly and LG pulled the plug. My neighbor later needed a MFWD axle part (I think it was a seal) and since LG stopped having anything to do with Montana tractors, he couldn't get it. He ended up selling it at a consignment auction for pennies on the dollar.

The biggest competitor to the less-expensive second-tier tractors is used tractors from the major manufacturers. You can buy a fairly lightly used 4 series Deere or Kubota Grand L for what you can buy a new TYM for and not worry about whether or not your tractor will be orphaned.

Grandma's riding JD 755's with manual steer, clutch, and shift aside, something I will always respect, what person is handy enough to spend time on a tractor, but not change oil and filter or sharpen a mower blade? That must be an incredibly narrow slice of our population?

I can change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter on my machine in less time than it takes to clean the loader zerks for their annual two shots of grease. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

I guess if it takes you an hour to clean the loader zerks, that would be why you only grease them once per year.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #87  
I had to look up TYM as apart from a rare mention on this forum, I had never heard of them. I had never seen one for sale in this region on any dealer lot, any of the big equipment classified websites, or even at farm sales or consigment sales. The company has only been selling tractors in the U.S. for about 20 years and there are only seven dealers in my entire state. The nearest of them is a tiny dealer an hour and a half away. That does not inspire confidence that the manufacturer will continue to stick around in the U.S. so that if in 10 years if you need a part, you can get it.

Here's an example. A previous neighbor of mine bought a new Montana tractor in the mid-2000s and and said how he got a great deal on it. Montana was made by a division of LG. They sold poorly and LG pulled the plug. My neighbor later needed a MFWD axle part (I think it was a seal) and since LG stopped having anything to do with Montana tractors, he couldn't get it. He ended up selling it at a consignment auction for pennies on the dollar.

The biggest competitor to the less-expensive second-tier tractors is used tractors from the major manufacturers. You can buy a fairly lightly used 4 series Deere or Kubota Grand L for what you can buy a new TYM for and not worry about whether or not your tractor will be orphaned.

I guess if it takes you an hour to clean the loader zerks, that would be why you only grease them once per year.
Yes and no?

Tym, yanmar, Mitsubishi and ls build for all the big brands other than kubota?

New Holland's are built by LS

Mahindra sells mitsubishi, tym and mahindra

JD uses a lot of yanmar engines at a minimum

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #88  
Just the title of this thread cracks me up! Yes, we all state that JD and Kubota cost double the price (Sarcasm). I have a JD sitting in our Barn... Incredible tractor, I also have a Case IH (Engine built by Shibaura) superior engines. I have owned a Kubota, superior tractor (B7800). I now drive a Yanmar which builds most of JD's compact engines (common knowledge).

So is there a question in this thread or is it just to let everyone who doesn't own a Kubota or JD know that they chose wrong? I know of a great many REAL farmers who have made great livings driving/owning other than JD/Kubota.

There are a lot of good companies making tractors now, I'm not smart enough to tell you which of them are building better tractors than JD or Kubota. I know I would gladly own and operate a lot of tractors that are not my first/second choice. There are a ton of great tractor makers out there. I think yall JD/Kubota zealots need to get a grip. You have some competition, this is a good thing.

I didn't bother to read all of the posts in this thread, nor do I plan to. But really, anyone on this post who acts like JD/Kubota are the only tractor to own, shame on you. I have a few farmers who bought Case IH and Massey who are pretty dang successful and not just moving a little firewood around.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #89  
Well, I thought it obvious that I was exaggerating for effect, but it's honestly not much of an exaggeration.

The new pins with recessed zerks they use on all their loaders these days are a major PITA, and about the only part of yearly maintenance I really hate. I still don't have a good system cleaning them out prior to greasing, and think the setup on my old 1986 model 52 loader was actually better than the new 320R, in this one regard. I know it's off-topic, but if someone has a good tool or system for cleaning those stupid fittings, please let us know!

Oil change? I've never specifically timed it, but I can't imagine it takes me much more than 20 minutes per machine. The key for me is to do all of my machines, even on-road vehicles, in the same session, while I already have the tools, pans, and waste jugs out. One setup, one cleanup, for three vehicles, two tractors, one zero turn, and a have dozen walk-behind OPE's. I will admit that if I was doing only one machine, the setup and cleanup would add a lot of time.
I put together a LockNLube coupler attachment for my PortaPower. It will usually clear a stubborn zerk. Sometimes it takes working the joint while under 4-5KPSI pressure to clear. Usually not. Disassembly is only necessary in worst case neglect cases.

Incidentally, the pins you describe where lube feeds down the pin and out in the middle are a failure in waiting unless the pins are properly oversized. I had to replace all my bucket articulating pins on the Mahindra 7520 with solid pins. The original hollow pins all cracked in the middle. Some broke outright before I caught it.:eek:

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #90  

Edit: Me drinking again. My apologies.

Last edited: