The Resting Place.

/ The Resting Place. #951  
Rodney always got a lot of respect from the younger comedians, as he was hugely instrumental in getting many of their feet in the door. H was as well known and appreciated as a mentor for the younger comedians, as for his own routine. His club was well known for giving younger comedians their first chances.

But his career peaked 40 years after Bob Hope, so according to LouNY, he's garbage. 😛
yep

/ The Resting Place. #953  
Bob Hope could entertain across the generations...

More modern like a Jay Leno could still be funny and not vulgar or foul mouthed.

My grandparents had tickets to a Buddy Hackett show and they walked out... said never heard such filth yet he was also a Disney star in the original Love Bug is how us kids knew him.

The 70's saw a lot of comedians mimicking stoners...

The 60's mimicking drunks.

Some televised comedy probably wouldn't fly today... All in the Family, Laugh In, Stanford and Son, Jeffersons, Chico and the Man, etc...

/ The Resting Place. #958  
Definitely not clean, but Bill Burr has to be the one I appreciate most, the last few years. Prior to that, older Lewis Black material, although I really don't care for most of his stuff in the last 10-15 years... playing "cantankerous" just isn't as funny when you're actually a grumpy old man. I'll almost always stop to listen to Ron White, not that it's anything that brilliant, but he makes me laugh. Of course, they're all alive today, so I guess off-topic for this thread!

Redd Foxx had some good bits, even if an extremely dated style that doesn't play as well today. Andy Griffith's standup was really entertaining as well, such as his classic bit describing going to a football game, although playing the same-old country-bumpkin routine for years got stale quick.

/ The Resting Place. #959  
To be clear.... he's not dead yet...

IMG_3381.jpeg