The right tractor for towing/forestry work

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #1  

antryan

Tractor
Can-am
Hi,
I haven't really posted on this forum but have spoken to several of you by pm, soaking in all the wisdom that i can. I am considering purchasing a tractor with the primary purpose of towing a log loader and doing forestry work. Up until this year I've been reluctant on investing in a tractor primarily because of the maintenance requirements. I think the right tool for the right job approach is something had focused on, leaning towards frugal options.

Currently for basic skidding and yard work I've had relied other off road vehicles, which to my surprise is meeting all but one my requirements. Some logging work, specifically loading heavy 24"+ dia trees, has become a challenge and while I could manage I wanted to invest in something that made it easier. This year I bought a used log loader, a Metavic 1400 loader with 18RF trailer and started looking at the best towing options. I will be primarily using off road trails with some steep and hilly terrain, mildly hard soil (clay like), on mostly forest populated land. As such I need something that can tow this heavy trailer up/down hills and not fall apart. I have focused on identifying tractors that provide stability and power for the work, and quickly realized there is a lot to consider. With the hills, I felt full body steel frame tractors with 4WD would be best. I don't plan on loading the trailer up to its max capacity and will likely load a minimal amount on most trips.

I found a used 2006 Mahindra 4530 4WD w/o a loader available that seems to check all the boxes with exception to towing capacity, which I understand isn't something normally included on manufacturer specifications. The engine has 42hp and has less than 900 hours on it. I've done some basic research and understand there may be some issues which the tractor could have.

I am planning on down grading the trailer, moving the loader over to the new trailer to reduce the total weight
Current estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 18RF: 4125lb (18500 payload)
Future estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 17RF: 3225lb (14000 payload)

Is there a way to tell if the tractor I am considering would have enough towing capacity? Are there alternative vehicles (tractors) that I should consider - eg, a skid loader vs compact?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #2  
It’ll pull it fine but stopping isn’t a tractors strong point. Does the wagon have brakes?

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #4  
Tractors generally list towing hitch capacity in the specs or owners manual.
I would suggest something with 4WD braking and AG (R1) tires to dig in. You’ll need stopping power.
My Case IH is equipped with hydraulic brakes for the trailer and my Massey Ferguson is equipped with air brakes for trailering.
Not sure if smaller tractors have that option or your trailer can be equipped with brakes.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #5  
Is there a way to tell if the tractor I am considering would have enough towing capacity?

Three Point Hitch tractors are designed to PULL. I speculate that almost all 4-WD compact tractors with R1/ag tires filled with liquid can pull a trailer at least 3 X their bare tractor weight specification.

Consider (hard) foam filled tires if you will be in the woods 200 engine hours per year or more. Punctures and rolling tires off the rims are real possibilities in woods work. I have experienced both misfortunes.

I do a lot of woods work in terms of property maintenance involving transportation of fallen mature Oaks and Pines to a community burn pile. I pull timber with chains. I have no experience with specialized logging equipment nor logging.

Have you researched log skidding winches, which I think would be almost mandatory for your applications?

VIDEO:

Mahindra 4530 Dimensions​

Mahindra 4530 tractor photo
2005 - 2020
Model year 2005-20082010-2020
30 Series
Utility tractor

Dimensions Length:134 inches
340 cm
Width: 72.5 inches
184 cm
Weight: 5567 lbs
2525 kg

Are there alternative vehicles (tractors) that I should consider - eg, a skid loader vs compact?

A skid loader or compact track loader are designed to push and lift, not pull. Both variants are likely to be much more costly than a tractor of equivalent towing capacity. Tracked equipment is very stable and has low ground pressure but tracks are maintenance intensive relative to wheels.

VIDEO:

Valtra (brand) tractors from Finland and Brazil are used as much in forestry work as ag work. Note the bulbous tires, probably radials, for float in bogs. Florida uses some Valtra tractors for highway right-of-way mowing.

VIDEOS: valtra forestry tractors

Last edited:
   / The right tractor for towing/forestry work #6  
You mention hills. But "hills" are different to everyone. Hills to someone in kansas are gonna be alot different than hills to someone in wyoming. And you give no indication of where you are from.

Are you wanting just a bare tractor? Or are you wanting something with a loader to also be able to grapple and move the logs.

I have a MX5100....which is a bit lighter than the bare tractor 4530 you mention....however with loader, grapple, and ballast I am sitting at north of 7000lbs with 50+ engine HP.

Pulling and towing are not the issue. I regularly haul my dump trailer with logs....estimated about 3.2k trailer and about 8k payload. A little north of 10k. It handles it fine.....but sure wouldnt want to do that up and down steeper hills. That much weight will push a tractor around.

You are now talking about double the weight. I think if I was gonna do that on a regular basis....Id be looking for something that is around 8,000-10,000 pounds ballasted out to not let the trailer control you. That would likely put you somewhere around a 7000-8000 pound bare tractor and 70-80hp

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #7  
I also question a trailer WITH a log loader capable of a 14k payload and the whole thing only weighs 3200#?

Perhaps a picture of log trailer/loader would better help get a visual of just what you want to tow.

IF it wasnt for "hills" which is yet to be defined.....I'd say you could get by with half the weight of what my previous post suggests.

There is a reason why even the smallest actual log skidders are near 20,000 pounds

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #8  
I am planning on down grading the trailer, moving the loader over to the new trailer to reduce the total weight
Current estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 18RF: 4125lb (18500 payload)
Future estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 17RF: 3225lb (14000 payload)

Is there a way to tell if the tractor I am considering would have enough towing capacity? Are there alternative vehicles (tractors) that I should consider - eg, a skid loader vs compact?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
The metavic website suggests tractor sizes for their loaders Or am I missing something here?

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #10  
Consider at least 60 HP, loader, 4x4, HST and some gnarly woods chains. Wet clay may be slippery. HST should give better traction control.

You may also want to look at a log winch for those areas you cannot access with the trailer.

Some pictures of log gathering equipment.

Attachments

• 1C1D1B0C-2700-48D8-A86C-6844038C018D.jpeg
    1C1D1B0C-2700-48D8-A86C-6844038C018D.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 21C4AC48-2760-4A02-8D7D-CB2B685CEDB0.jpeg
    21C4AC48-2760-4A02-8D7D-CB2B685CEDB0.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 577EAAA1-E9E0-46D1-A922-1D0186FB1043.jpeg
    577EAAA1-E9E0-46D1-A922-1D0186FB1043.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 239E51E1-C1A7-4F3D-85B6-E6E8DCFBF23F.jpeg
    239E51E1-C1A7-4F3D-85B6-E6E8DCFBF23F.jpeg