The right tractor for towing/forestry work

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #21  
Consider at least 60 HP, loader, 4x4, HST and some gnarly woods chains. Wet clay may be slippery. HST should give better traction control.

You may also want to look at a log winch for those areas you cannot access with the trailer.

Some pictures of log gathering equipment.
As much as I wished they had HST tractors bigger than whats currently on the market....I think anything currently with a HST is gonna be too small.

OP: I'd certainly get a loader. Lots of uses in the woods, making trails, shoving brush out of the way, etc. And a loader makes a great secondary parking brake. But I'd set your sights a little higher. While that mahindra is certainly one of the heavier weight 40hp tractors you will find....set your sights toward 7000-8000 bare tractor then ballast accordingly.
Again, I have a ~7000 pound tractor but it is still only a 3800# bare tractor.

One that already starts off that heavy....has bigger tires, more power, and more ground clearance. Then you can load tires and add a loader and get north of 10,000 pounds pretty easy. Lot less chance of a trailer pushing you around on hills and you can be confident you have the power and traction to go up the hills.

Something like the larger 5000-series deeres, or the smaller 6000-series, the M5 series kubotas, or if you are familiar with the mahindras (since you mentioned one) something like a 6075

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #23  
For what you are describing a smaller sized bulldozer such as a Case 450 would be more suited to pulling your trailer.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #24  
I am considering purchasing a tractor with the primary purpose of towing a log loader and doing forestry work. Up until this year I've been reluctant on investing in a tractor primarily because of the maintenance requirements. I think the right tool for the right job approach is something had focused on, leaning towards frugal options.
Define "frugal". The best machine for you will cost more than a utility tractor but with 4 wheel steering and smaller size it will tow your log loader where you could not go with a tractor: compact telehandler - Image Search
CompactTelehandlerTest.jpg

A used one might be frugal.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #25  
For what you are describing a smaller sized bulldozer such as a Case 450 would be more suited to pulling your trailer.

Agreed. A dozer will have much more traction to pull up a hill and much more resistant to getting shoved down a hill.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work
@Jstpssng @4570Man Thanks for the recommendation. I'll admit I am a bit worried on operating a dozer. I probably could handle something similar to the DL450 which is like a skid steer. I do see some really cool loaders out there but I assumed they wouldn't have the towing capacity.

tlc.Team-Rubicon-Edition-CASE-SV340-Skid-Steer.png

I'll take a closer look at the dozer

@Xfaxman Thanks!! Frugal in my mind includes finding something multi-purpose, at the right price. Finding something used would be a must at this point. I had considered avant loaders which look like telehandlers but I saw the technical specs listed "pulling force" as under or around 4000lb which I assume also applied to rear towing capabilities. The compact ones do look pretty cool, not that looks matter. I'll do some more research on them, thanks!

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #27  
Define "frugal". The best machine for you will cost more than a utility tractor but with 4 wheel steering and smaller size it will tow your log loader where you could not go with a tractor: compact telehandler - Image Search
View attachment 721248
A used one might be frugal.
No, those machines won't tow a log loader and definitely won't move better in the woods than a tractor. Otherwise, you would see them all over Europe in logging operations, which is exactly the opposite. You just won't see those machines in the woods at all.

These machines are great for yard work but they simply get stuck every chance they get even if the soil is slightly soft, let alone pulling a trailer or something.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #28  
If you must use a tractor, might want to see if one with duals is available. They would increase pulling and stopping power and stability. I don’t know if all tractors that small are.
However, I had no idea a dozer was an option for you as you had mentioned other tasks.
A dozer would be perfect for that task. Heavy, unparalleled traction, low center of gravity, unstoppable on loose ground and a blade up front for extra stopping power and grooming your trails as you go.

Last edited:
   / The right tractor for towing/forestry work #29  
No, those machines won't tow a log loader
My V417 is rated at drawbar pull of 7,000 pounds
and definitely won't move better in the woods than a tractor. Otherwise, you would see them all over Europe in logging operations, which is exactly the opposite. You just won't see those machines in the woods at all.
I have used mine in the woods a lot. A tractor could not follow where I have gone in the woods. Turning radius with 4 wheel steer is one reason:
V417 spec drawing.JPG

Small size is another reason:
P1120008.JPG
P1120012.JPG

These machines are great for yard work but they simply get stuck every chance they get even if the soil is slightly soft, let alone pulling a trailer or something.
I have owned two different Compact Telehandlers and they can get motion impaired in silt or deep mud. But using the boom have always pulled or pushed themselves out:
PB220014.JPG

Pushed itself out:
P7100092.JPG

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #30  
My V417 is rated at drawbar pull of 7,000 pounds

I have used mine in the woods a lot. A tractor could not follow where I have gone in the woods. Turning radius with 4 wheel steer is one reason:
View attachment 721274
Small size is another reason:
View attachment 721275View attachment 721276

I have owned two different Compact Telehandlers and they can get motion impaired in silt or deep mud. But using the boom have always pulled or pushed themselves out:
View attachment 721280 View attachment 721279
My 35 HP tractor is rated to pull 7,700lbs and it's like a third the size of that Bobcat, it only means it would sneak even easily in the woods and it actually has the ground clearance to go on the woods.

A 75HP conventional tractor is rated to pull 17600 lbs.

Sure the telehandler can pull it self out sometimes but on the other hand the tractor would've just kept going.