Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor"

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #11  
Adjustments.jpg
I’m just gonna leave this here.

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #12  
When I had a little Kubota tractor, I bought a brush hog just a little wider than the back wheels. When I traded up to slightly larger tractor, I also traded for a wider brush hog to have it a foot or so wider than the back wheels.

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor"
I think that's more like the operator broke in half by not paying attention to what they were doing.

I've always read just the opposite, get a cutter slightly wider than the wheel track so you don't leave tracks you have to go back over.
That was my thought also. I will take your last comment a bit farther and say get the widest mower that your tractor can handle; wider swath means fewer passes.

I posted this, then saw NateDog's pic. That's what I'm talking about! :thumbsup:

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #14  
My neighbor has a 12' gull wing for his JD 4230, but he isn't cutting a lawn around trees with it either.

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #16  
I don't use my brush mower much these days but when I did it was handy having a 4 footer I could back into tight spaces. I find the narrow mower still handy when I do use it. Of course when I bought it I had a JD855 with the wheels set narrow. The whole rig was handy when my property was covered in trees. Now it's all cleared I mostly use a 6' finish mower.

I am pretty careful when mowing past any obstructions and can gauge my distance within a couple of inches to sometimes brushing the pole or tree.

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #17  
I can back my 6 footer into tight places too. But I don't try to back it up into a closet. My primary tractor is 6' wide. My problems occur when I'm trying to get up close to a fence. I've turned a couple of my metal fence posts into pretzels with the front spindle. I'd like to have 10' bat wing, gull wing, sparrow wing--Any kind of wing mower. It sure would reduce open field cut time too. It would be worth changing to the 6' in some areas of the back. There's other areas I don't mow at all--There's things back there that will eat you! :laughing:

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #18  
Do I need to trade in the tractor,,,,,,,,,, or do I need to trade in the mower?? :confused2:

64Ia2C8.jpg

They are both the same color, so I thought they would work together,,, :eek:

:laughing:

AND, YES, I have hung a tree with the corner of that mower,, and a few fence posts,,

I think the reason I do not have a problem, is that I never mow with a loader on the front of the tractor,,
Problem solved,,, :thumbsup:

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #19  
Do I need to trade in the tractor,,,,,,,,,, or do I need to trade in the mower?? :confused2:

All you need is a 3 foot wheel spacer on the right rear, then all will be good.

:D

Bruce

/ Then he said "Don't buy a bush hog that's wider than the tractor" #20