Thermapen...anyone have one?

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I am considering getting a Thermapen. If they are advertised, they would be worth the rather high price. I have a cheapie now, but it is so slow it's almost useless. Anyone have one and like it?

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #2  
2Lane, they work well and the best thing over cheaper ones is how quick they react. Just a second or two and final temp is displayed. I have checked mine against the Thermoworks multiple probe/Bluetooth unit and built in unit on Memphis grill - all are less than 5 degrees apart.

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #3  
Yep. All their items I have from them I like. Buy direct from them. Even better if you have time, sign up for their newsletter. Good sales to boot come via email.

/ Thermapen...anyone have one?
Thanks! I'm sold.

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #5  
Purchased one this spring for my yoder smoker,very happy with it.Best one on the market IMHO

Thanks. I'm convinced...will order one ASAP!

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #7  
Thanks for that; it's certainly worth a try...and I can probably get it locally. Thanks again.

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #9  
I've been using Thermapens for probably 8 years, maybe more. I've got a Thermapen MKIV now, rotating lighted display helps a lot when you're grilling or smoking in the dark. If I turn on exterior lights I get too many bugs so I leave them off.

If it broke today I'd have a new one on the way before 5pm. I consider it an essential cooking tool, it takes all the guesswork out of whether or not your food is done. My cooking/smoking game has increased exponentially since I got my first one years ago. The quick read can tell you which way you need to rotate your steak to get it cooked evenly compared to where the hot-spot is on your grill. (the hot-spot you've gotta know or figure out ;) )

I've recommended one to pretty much anyone I know. While you're at it, grab one of Amazingribs.com's meat temperature magnets. I've got a smaller, older one, but it's a good quick-reference to have handy.
Amazon.com : GrillGrate AmazingRibs.com Comprehensive Food Temperature Guide (8.5" x 11") : Garden & Outdoor

/ Thermapen...anyone have one? #10  
Ditto on all the good reviews here. Just got mine last week.

While researching this, someone pointed to the warning on Thermowork's website about buying directly from Thermoworks/approved distributors because of some shady dealings with non-authorized sellers, like on Amazon. Worth a read first:

Why You Won't Find the Thermapen on Amazon | ThermoWorks