Thinking about replacing the MF135

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #1  

Armymutt

Tractor
JD 455
I'm looking really hard into replacing my MF135. It's mostly a safety thing. I live on a hill and am concerned about rollovers, especially with the hidden holes in the woods from previous logging activities. I use the tractor for mowing trails, tilling the garden, box blading, and running a small chipper. My land is mostly woods and have used it with the bush hog to mow down thin pine saplings. I also have used it to pull out smaller trees. My soil is mostly sandy, but down by the creek, it's a thick muddy clay. I don't necessarily need a FEL - I have a JD 316SL backhoe for those chores - a little overkill, I know. I have a JD dealer nearby. Was looking at the 4044 and the 5045 as potential replacements. If I had an FEL, I would need to be able to remove it due to the tight quarters that I have to work in some times. Alternatively, is there a ROPS for the 135?

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #2  
I'm looking really hard into replacing my MF135. It's mostly a safety thing. I live on a hill and am concerned about rollovers, especially with the hidden holes in the woods from previous logging activities. I use the tractor for mowing trails, tilling the garden, box blading, and running a small chipper. My land is mostly woods and have used it with the bush hog to mow down thin pine saplings. I also have used it to pull out smaller trees. My soil is mostly sandy, but down by the creek, it's a thick muddy clay. I don't necessarily need a FEL - I have a JD 316SL backhoe for those chores - a little overkill, I know. I have a JD dealer nearby. Was looking at the 4044 and the 5045 as potential replacements. If I had an FEL, I would need to be able to remove it due to the tight quarters that I have to work in some times. Alternatively, is there a ROPS for the 135?
I understand your issue, but if I had a MF 135 I would never sell or trade it.
They are such great old tractors.
Buy another (safer) tractor, but also keep the MF135.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135
I understand your issue, but if I had a MF 135 I would never sell or trade it.
They are such great old tractors.
Buy another (safer) tractor, but also keep the MF135.
The wife won't agree to that, unfortunately. I might still keep it, especially with the issues I keep reading about regarding modern tractors. Doesn't seem like they have advanced enough to match the price increase and reliability issues.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #4  
That 135 would sell in a hot second if in good condition.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #5  
How long have you owned it without rolling it?
What makes you think you are going to loose all common sense and roll it next week?

Mount training wheels if you are that worried.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #6  
The wife won't agree to that, unfortunately. I might still keep it, especially with the issues I keep reading about regarding modern tractors. Doesn't seem like they have advanced enough to match the price increase and reliability issues.
You will kick yourself later, if you do sell the MF 135!

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #7  
I completely understand your concerns about ROPS. That is why we upgraded from an 8N. There are options available for you though. Bareco offers new rops for Massey 135's.

Another alternative is to pull rops off of a salvage tractor. The rops off of a 20C, 135, 148, 150, 202, 204, 230, 240, 245 (with drum brakes), 2135, 2200 should work as well.
Below link lists salvage yards and their tractors.

Best of luck with whatever path you decide to take.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #8  
If the 135 is in decent shape, and meets your horsepower requirements, like some of the others, I'd consider geting the ROPS, and setting the adjustable wheels out to make it even more stable. I'll assume you have the pressed steel center dish, and looped rims where they bolt on. If the loops are to the inside, just moving them out to the outside of the center dish will make a difference. Setting the dish out, will give you a lot wider stance, although may be too wide.

I've never had a 135, but those around here that have them, still have them, or have been passed down. That says something right there.

/ Thinking about replacing the MF135 #9  
If the 135 is in decent shape, and meets your horsepower requirements, like some of the others, I'd consider geting the ROPS, and setting the adjustable wheels out to make it even more stable. I'll assume you have the pressed steel center dish, and looped rims where they bolt on. If the loops are to the inside, just moving them out to the outside of the center dish will make a difference. Setting the dish out, will give you a lot wider stance, although may be too wide.

I've never had a 135, but those around here that have them, still have them, or have been passed down. That says something right there.
I have never owned a MF135, but I have used one quite a bit.
It is an absolutely great old tractor.
FAR superior to my '51 8N.