TICKS: bad this year?

/ TICKS: bad this year? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, Shur-Trac and Carry-On trailers
I'm a hunter (turkey and deer - for over 20 years) so I'm used to coming home from the woods and checking for and finding a tick or two... This year (I moved to rural Iowa a year ago this week) , I'm picking them off me without having been anywhere except around the yard - mowing, cleanup, etc... I've had about 20 w/in the last month. I've found two (dead) on the dog. I just found the third one within the last 12 hours! I even woke up at 3am, feeling one crawling up my leg. At least only one had latched on. How do they survive these winters? Are there tick "nests"? Any good way to kill them w/o spraying the whole place (3 acres)? At least the repelent medication for the dog seems to work (for him...).

Anyone else notice a huge increase this year?

Last edited:
   / TICKS: bad this year? #2  
Cold weather (-15 F) will not kill ticks, I'm not sure even -40 F/C would have any significant effect on them.

Sawyer's and other companies make a spray containing Permethrin which you spray your clothing with then let it dry and it can be washed many times and still be effective at killing ticks if they come in contact with it.

It is my understanding that Permethrin is a synthetic chemical similar in structure to one of the chemicals found in the Chrysanthemum (daisy) flower.

Do you own research so that you are comfortable using it.

If you don't want to go the chemical route I've heard possums and ginny hens are great tick eaters. We have friends who have ginny hens. They are great at alerting you of an intruder with their incredibly loud calls, too noisy for me though.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #3  
^^^^
Also, just keeping the grass mowed down seems to help immensely. So much for "No mow May"...

I haven't seen as many as in the past, although I don't spend much time in high tick areas anymore. There was a time when I would take 30 off me and as many off my dog every night. I give him a pill every month, and haven't found a tick on him in years. I keep asking for the the same pill for me, but they won't give it to me. :D

/ TICKS: bad this year? #4  
Every year is a bad year for ticks here.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #5  
Seems to be area specific.

I'm retired, and do a lot of outback exploring when the weather is warmer. For the past couple months I've been out at least once a week in the back country in various parts of Nevada. On just one of those trips did I come home with ticks (two crawling around on me, and two found in the clothes I wore that day).

At least the ticks we have here in Nevada are big boys - easy to see. Not like the tiny deer ticks we used to have where I grew up in Pennsylvania.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #6  
I don't recall ticks being remotely as bad as they've been the last yew years, not when I was younger anyhow. I'm always finding the little monsters on me; I set them on an ashtray and take a lighter to them. I want chickens, but the missus isn't on board.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #7  
They seem to be starting now here. I think about the same as usual.

As far as cold weather - I saw a video where someone put a tick in an ice cube tray with water - froze it in the ice cube. Three days later, they put the ice cube on the counter and let the ice cube melt. The tick walked away as though nothing happened.

I also read that a tick only needs to eat one time in their lifetime and can go for years without eating.

We have used sulfur, Avon skin so soft (did well, but got expensive), and sometimes deet spray.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #8  
As @deserteagle71 says, it is area specific; weather, water, habitat and animal reservoirs make a huge difference in the population. With the generally warmer weather, there are more ticks and they are more active. It was thought to correlate with increases in deer populations, but it doesn't appear to.

I saw an article about a tick researcher who had a remote controlled car that they drove around with white cloth strips trailing off the back. Apparently the ticks latch onto the cloth as it comes by, and they could count the ticks to estimate the population. I believe that the article mentioned that if the cloth was treated with permethrin it worked as a tick selective exterminator.

@thclimer's suggestion of permethrin is one that I see often, though I don't use it myself. I tend to tuck my pants into my boots or socks when out, and have a hot soapy shower when I get back. Clothes go straight into the washer. After years of dealing with ticks, I find that I am hypersensitive to their movements on my body. Of course finding one makes me itchy/jumpy for the rest of the day.

I don't miss the little deer ticks one bit. Nor the wet weather leeches that leapt off of wet grass. Moving on...

All the best,

Peter

/ TICKS: bad this year? #9  
Ticks here no signs of decreasing,about 3 weeks ago on strong windy day walking edge of field had 3 ticks on me...guessing wind put them upon me.

/ TICKS: bad this year? #10  
Yes, in central Indiana. We have kept the entire 8 acres mowed and they are still thick,