Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator
Around here an ethanol free gas station is like looking for a needle in a haystack. However, according to this website, there are 16211 in the USA.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
I ran into one due to road construction. I had to take a different route home from work for a couple weeks. The station had a sign out that they had E-free gas. They had some name for it, I forget what it was. In anyevent I do not know the cost difference between that and the E10 we get at the pump.

Looking at your link there is a station just south of me that has it. Might have to check them out.

/ Time for a new portable generator #83  
Here in n idaho ethanol free is about. $.30 more than reg gas…. Generally.
lately its about the same price as diesel, as diesel took a big hike in price.

/ Time for a new portable generator #84  
I ran into one due to road construction. I had to take a different route home from work for a couple weeks. The station had a sign out that they had E-free gas. They had some name for it, I forget what it was. In anyevent I do not know the cost difference between that and the E10 we get at the pump.

Looking at your link there is a station just south of me that has it. Might have to check them out.

The 100 percent gasoline here is called "REC 89". It is 89 (R+M) octane and does include taxes for road use. Last night it was 1.00 dollar more per gallon (4.299 versus 3.299) then 87 Octane "Regular" gasoline with 10 percent ethanol. I use it for all my 2 cycle equipment and my gasoline generator with a carb. With Fuel Injected equipment I use 10 percent ethanol fuel as no carb subject to fuel varnish. I still use fuel stabilizer. My 14 year old 2000 watt inverter generator usually starts in 3 pulls for long storage times of 8 months.

Last night I filled up my 5 gallon REC 89 can for my neighbor (using my generator)who lost power Wednesday afternoon. there was a waiting line for the (2) REC 89 pumps due to the large amount of people without power from the recent storms. We shared stories about our un-reliable power company and how we hated to re-build carbs that used to run on 10 percent ethanol. I fit right in. The nice couple in front of me with 65 gallons worth of red 5 gallon containers said go in front of us as we will be here awhile.

/ Time for a new portable generator #85  
Can any tell me what size Generator is generally needed to run a Well pump. I just purchased a home and don't know anything about the well other than it's 240V 30amp breakers.

/ Time for a new portable generator #86  
Can any tell me what size Generator is generally needed to run a Well pump. I just purchased a home and don't know anything about the well other than it's 240V 30amp breakers.
This is a good thread to go back and learn about everything you need to know about genny's because there is more than one answer and there are more questions to be asked.

At the least, I think you would want a 240v 30amp plug on the genny. Then add up the other things (watts) you deem critical to see how much more you tack on to the pump. Whether you want a standard genny or an inverter to better protect your sensitive equipment will affect the price as much as the brand you choose.

Good luck searching.

Last edited:
   / Time for a new portable generator #87  
Well, it depends... (sorry, couldn't resist;)) Well pumps have large starting surges, with some folks recommending 2-3 times your running current, which isn't 30Amps.

The best way is to put a clamp on ammeter on your well pump wire (singular) and measure what the peak amps are. Multiply by 240 and give yourself 25-100% extra, and you should be good.

All the best,

Peter

/ Time for a new portable generator #88  
Well, it depends... (sorry, couldn't resist;)) Well pumps have large starting surges, with some folks recommending 2-3 times your running current, which isn't 30Amps.

The best way is to put a clamp on ammeter on your well pump wire (singular) and measure what the peak amps are. Multiply by 240 and give yourself 25-100% extra, and you should be good.

All the best,

Peter
Thank you will take a look at this

/ Time for a new portable generator #89  
I ran ours (also a 240V 30A breaker) off of a basic 3500W generator.
Occasionally the well would pop the generator breaker, but usually it managed just fine.
I also ran two refrigerators and a freezer off of the same generator, but the well definitely popped the breaker with those running. It's what I had, though, so typically we turned off/unplugged the non-well parts when we knew the well was going to run (ie, "time to flush the toilets!").

If it had been a 5000W generator I'm sure it would've been fine all the time, though the 5000W gneerator would've likely used about 50% more fuel (considering either one would've been running at the minimum level almost all the time with just about 500W constant load).

Make sure when you shop for a generator that it actually has a 240V outlet, regardless of if it's an inverter generator or not.

/ Time for a new portable generator #90  
One local well company said he loves people that run wells on 3,000 watt and or cheap generators. After the last storm he made the most money he ever has…from pulling well pumps and replacing them.

their recommendation is never use less than 7,500 watt gen if running a standard well system. Some of the newer ones with computerized soft starters are alot more tolerant of smaller generators, but can be harmed by cheap generators.

pick your poison. He said one customer just paid over 6 grand to pull well pump and replace pump on deep water well. I guess the harbor freight generator didnt quite pay for itself this time.