Time for a Zero Turn

/ Time for a Zero Turn
So this is just one of the steep hills I cut with my ZT (ZD331). I used to mow across it, but found it was much better going up and down.
Pictures dont do it justice, but it’s pretty steep. Lose control and you go for a swim with the snapping turtles.
I have never felt like I couldn’t stop, under control going straight down at the pond. Going uphill, it’s easy as a walk in the park.
Gives me some encouragement. The tractor's right rear wheel kept spinning on me this afternoon with the bush hog. Then I realized they'd thrown it out of 4wd. Not very safe to go down our hill behind the house down to the creek out of 4wd.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Did the "blueberry" patch this afternoon and trails on our own property. Doing the patch with the bush hog is about like doing carpentry with a sledge hammer or sewing with a log for a needle. Used to do it with one of the walkbehind mowers when I had the fence in there. Fence is out but still too many things to drive/mow around. Will be looking forward to the Ryobi in June.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
The Ryobi ZT480e arrived today about lunch time. Uncrated it and put seat and handles on, attached the battery cables. Backed it off the shipment enforcement metal and pallet. Took one turn around the front lawn and then to basement of the carriage house where I parked it on the charger. Says not to use it until charged overnight even though the battery showed 100%.

Gonna take a little while to get the hang of it. The basement of the carriage house doors have some bash marks on them from when I was learning to "drive" the 4010 and finding out how fast the steering worked in a doorway. Old JD 14SB is sold, as are the Kobalt mower and grass whip. Have Ryobi 40v mower and grass whip now. Gotta sell the Honda mower soon as I'm happy with the Ryobi ZT. The 40v stuff has gaslike performance. Hopefully, the ZT will, too.

Ralph

Attachments

• Ryobi ZT.JPG
    Ryobi ZT.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 108
   / Time for a Zero Turn #44  
Think the Ryobi is the winner with price, mulching closure and less expensive batteries. Don't need the extra capability of the EGO but may miss the more comfortable seat.
Can you easily remove the batteries for recharging, or do you need to plug it in? The shed I keep my mower in is a couple hundred feet from the nearest outlet.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
If you want removable batteries, get the EGO, a similar ZT. You only remove the 4 lead acid batteries on this one when one or more need replacement.

Now that I have the thing, it has quit raining. Grass isn't growing.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Did the 2 back yard pieces this afternoon. The left side one is a challenge because of the slope up to the swimming pool deck level. Best is to go up the slope and then shimmy over and back down for another 42 inch swipe.

It's like a billy goat going directly uphill or backing down a slope, but go sideways on the smallest slope and the uphill tire will spin. Thinking I may want to go to a bar type tire. They may actually mark up the grass less than these turf tires. Saw one video where they showed just that.

No problems with the cut at all on the little bit of grass above the 3 3/4 inch set point. Think it doesn't work as well in very dense, tall grass where I skidded to on the neighbor's property and at one point near the top of the hill on mine.

/ Time for a Zero Turn #48  
Ralph, what is the weight of that machine ? And what size tires are on it ? Both affect the stability on slopes.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
It's near 600 #.

/ Time for a Zero Turn
Did the 3 parts of the lawn yesterday. Used 15% of the battery power.

Trimmed with the Ryobi crosscut.