Tires Time to replace the tires?

/ Time to replace the tires? #11  
My tires are a bit worn from all of the spinning they have been doing most of this year on wet clay, that is in turn sitting on top of large rocks. And then dragging a 720# box blade or digging out tree stumps with the grapple bucket. But my tires are in better shape than yours.

For what I am doing, if I were having traction problems attributed to tire wear, I would probably add chains to the rear as I am not doing any kind of finish work on the property I am clearing for our next home site. Plus my rears are already loaded to ~450# each and operating weight varies from 6900# - 7200#, which is more than yours but the same concept.

Chains on yours may cause erosion or at a minimum tear up the grass, which can also cause erosion.

My rears were filled with windshield washer fluid (methanol) by the dealer and I have no idea of the concentration.

/ Time to replace the tires? #12  
Thanks for all the replies, I do have an issue occasionally with traction when mowing and have to lift the mower to get traction back, so guess I will try to fill for now and see how it goes. Since I am below the freeze line (ground here never freezes) I am thinking a 10 to 1 solution of water and RV antifreeze should do the trick.

Rancho

Is your mower bottoming out and taking weight off your tires? Maybe at a crown in the lawn or in a dip.

/ Time to replace the tires? #13  
I had the problem Amvcane is talking about. I just put a stop bolt on the lift lever and that keeps the mower higher so it rides over any high spots.

/ Time to replace the tires? #14  
So the thread about loading the tires has peaked my interest, but before I consider that I think I need new tires. The fronts are definitely worn out and I think the rears are too...

View attachment 393494 View attachment 393495

So anybody got a good place to buy the R-4 tires (I am guessing based on what I have seen that these are R-4 tires).

Thanks

Rancho

Rancho,

If it were ME :2cents: I would not change the tires YET. ( It IS your money) if traction IS a problem, I would load the tires. I don't do it myself, but I have t GREAT tire guy close by. He used a 60/40 mix of ethanol and water. This keeps it from being flammable, will not degrade the tire and also will NOT rust the rim. If you decide to replace the tires, check out OTR Tires. I had a problem with a LARGE puncture on one of my rear tires, and they were the ONLY place that was willing to ship me a tire with no shipping charges. Try e-mailing my contact there angela.daniels@ortwheel.com and see what she can do for you. I know that when it comes time to replace the other tires I'll be going through her. :2cents: :thumbsup:

Dave

/ Time to replace the tires?
Is your mower bottoming out and taking weight off your tires? Maybe at a crown in the lawn or in a dip.

Most of my mowing is done with a finish mower so there is really no weight on the rear tires cause the mower has its own casters. I have a few swale area's and small slopes that I can not go up or across at an angle as I lose traction. If I lift the mower of course there is enough weight on the rear now to move forward without an issue. So loading the tires will be the next step.

Thanks

Rancho

/ Time to replace the tires? #16  
They look OK to me so I would just use them as is and not load them. The added weight could cause other issues with your lawn. Sometimes things slip a little.