timer on small gas water pump

/ timer on small gas water pump
I am not a good "sparky" , I think I understand SPDT ,so middle is off ? and if I wire to load #1 and click sw to #1 start timer then when time is 0 the sw is open and grounds out spark plug? thk/u, gus..

/ timer on small gas water pump #12  
I think you're going to find the spring timer is N/O and biased closed when the spring is wound. In other words the timer, when at zero minutes is an open circuit and is a closed circuit when it has time left on the dial.
A small engine is usually an open ignition circuit and shorted out to ground when it's shut off killing the spark, opposite of the spring switch............Mike
Have you considered reversing the operation so that when the switch is ON the pump is OFF

/ timer on small gas water pump #13  
I am not a good "sparky" , I think I understand SPDT ,so middle is off ? and if I wire to load #1 and click sw to #1 start timer then when time is 0 the sw is open and grounds out spark plug? thk/u, gus..
The best way for you to see how this would work is to buy one of these timers and then play with it a bit.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter ? If not, you will need one to see that operation of the switch.

1629257846565.png

There is no "middle" position. The terminals are NO (normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) In this illustration above, the input terminal is in contact with the top terminal, so that would be the NC connection.

In your application, you would connect the input terminal to the wire that goes to your engine on/off switch. You can leave the engine on/off switch wired as is, just connect the input terminal to the same wire.

Then the bottom terminal would be connected to the engine ground.

When you set the timer, lets say for an hour, when the hour is up, the contact will switch to the NO terminal and stop the engine.

SPDT SWITCH-2.png

This should give you and idea on how to wire up the timer.

Richard

Last edited:
On order, will play with my volt meter, and build W/P box. thanks for all info ,will report , thk/u, gus..

Got a SPDT timer..Might be wiring up wrong , got the V/M on buzzer
The best way for you to see how this would work is to buy one of these timers and then play with it a bit.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter ? If not, you will need one to see that operation of the switch.

View attachment 710097

There is no "middle" position. The terminals are NO (normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) In this illustration above, the input terminal is in contact with the top terminal, so that would be the NC connection.

In your application, you would connect the input terminal to the wire that goes to your engine on/off switch. You can leave the engine on/off switch wired as is, just connect the input terminal to the same wire.

Then the bottom terminal would be connected to the engine ground.

When you set the timer, lets say for an hour, when the hour is up, the contact will switch to the NO terminal and stop the engine.

View attachment 710098
This should give you and idea on how to wire up the timer.

Richard
Got the SPDT timer ; Might have it wired wrong , have V/M set on buzzer, (Red on line 1) (black on NO ) as shown when timer goes 0 no buzz ? any sugg. thk/u, gus..

Attachments

• VM .JPG
    VM .JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
   / timer on small gas water pump #16  
Got a SPDT timer..Might be wiring up wrong , got the V/M on buzzer

Got the SPDT timer ; Might have it wired wrong , have V/M set on buzzer, (Red on line 1) (black on NO ) as shown when timer goes 0 no buzz ? any sugg. thk/u, gus..
OK I'm not sure why you are using the diode test feature of your meter for this experiment.

Set your meter to the ohms position and to the lowest ohm number. On your meter, that would be the 200 position. After switching the meter to the 200 ohm position, short your meter leads together to see what kind of reading you would expect when the switch makes the connection during your test.

I also don't know how you have determined which terminal is NO and NC.

What model switch did you buy?

OK I'm not sure why you are using the diode test feature of your meter for this experiment.

Set your meter to the ohms position and to the lowest ohm number. On your meter, that would be the 200 position. After switching the meter to the 200 ohm position, short your meter leads together to see what kind of reading you would expect when the switch makes the connection during your test.

I also don't know how you have determined which terminal is NO and NC.

What model switch did you buy?
Model is Tork , (attachment instr.) wired up (instr, are noted NC-NO ) still when timer goes 0 no Ohm reading as noted when shorted ?
scan tork.jpg
scan tork.jpg

Also Why won't buzzer on meter activate on test? thk/u. gus..

/ timer on small gas water pump #19  
Try this, with the timer is at zero time, set your meter to the 200 ohm position, with one meter probe connected to the Line 1 terminal, then touch the other probe to the to the load 1 terminal and then touch the probe to the load 2 terminal. One of those terminals will result in an open condition, i.e. no reading on the meter.

Do you have a friend or a co-worker who can help you with this ?

Richard

Try this, with the timer is at zero time, set your meter to the 200 ohm position, with one meter probe connected to the Line 1 terminal, then touch the other probe to the to the load 1 terminal and then touch the probe to the load 2 terminal. One of those terminals will result in an open condition, i.e. no reading on the meter.

Do you have a friend or a co-worker who can help you with this ?

Richard
Yes ,Load 2 has a reading , load 1 no reading- open. thk/u